Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

thinking about marriage with tourist visa

thinking about marriage with tourist visa

Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:41 am
Just Joined

Alex8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question thinking about marriage with tourist visa

In the 2002 when i was 16 years old i went to the US as an exchange student for a year, when the year was almost over i decided to go to college there, so I filed for a change of status and started college, by the end of the second semester i got an answer back from the INS denying my change of status, so this summer I came back to my country to file for a new student visa but I was denied, I have a tourist visa and have been thinking on marrying my fiance who is a US citizen, I wonder if it is ok for me to go to US as a tourist and get married and if I would have problems because I had my student visa denied?
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:31 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking about marriage with tourist visa

Originally Posted by Alex8
In the 2002 when i was 16 years old i went to the US as an exchange student for a year, when the year was almost over i decided to go to college there, so I filed for a change of status and started college, by the end of the second semester i got an answer back from the INS denying my change of status, so this summer I came back to my country to file for a new student visa but I was denied, I have a tourist visa and have been thinking on marrying my fiance who is a US citizen, I wonder if it is ok for me to go to US as a tourist and get married and if I would have problems because I had my student visa denied?
If you visit your friend on a visa waiver, and on the spur of the moment get married and you had no prior intent to do this, it will be quite legal to stay and adjust status. end of story. No ifs and no buts.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
If you visit your friend on a visa waiver, and on the spur of the moment get married and you had no prior intent to do this, it will be quite legal to stay and adjust status. end of story. No ifs and no buts.
But he's already showing immigrant intent, which means if he uses the vwp, he would be lying, visa fraud and might not be allowed in at POE
Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:58 am
Anon

Alex8 wrote:
    > In the 2002 when i was 16 years old i went to the US as an exchange
    > student for a year, when the year was almost over i decided to go to
    > college there, so I filed for a change of status and started college, by
    > the end of the second semester i got an answer back from the INS denying
    > my change of status, so this summer I came back to my country to file
    > for a new student visa but I was denied, I have a tourist visa and have
    > been thinking on marrying my fiance who is a US citizen, I wonder if it
    > is ok for me to go to US as a tourist and get married and if I would
    > have problems because I had my student visa denied?

Forgetting for a second that an 18 year old really should not be getting
married..............
How long after the denial from INS did you leave the US? How much of
this time, if any, was after your 18th birthday.

If you can bring enough evidence that you will return to you home
country, then you might get in to the US on a tourist visa. However it
is illegal to enter the US on a tourist visa with the intent on getting
married and staying. Also, lying at the Point Of Entry is NOT recommended.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:27 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
MightBe -- Alex just admitted that he'd like to plan on going to the States on the VWP, marry and then adjust status. The very fact that he is asking if this is possible demonstrates that he has immigrant intent, which means the answer is NO.

Alex -- If you want to go to the States to marry your fiancee and then adjust status afterwards, then apply for a K1 fiance visa.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:10 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
MightBe -- Alex just admitted that he'd like to plan on going to the States on the VWP, marry and then adjust status. The very fact that he is asking if this is possible demonstrates that he has immigrant intent, which means the answer is NO.
Alex -- If you want to go to the States to marry your fiancee and then adjust status afterwards, then apply for a K1 fiance visa.
~ Jenney
It is said that 70% of marriage immigration is done on the Visa Waiver and no doubt 90% of them are pre-concieved, we have no idea who the OP is, I say you want to take the risk, minimal as it is, go for it. All this pussyfooting around the subject is just getting stupid, If the authorities wanted to stop it , they could do so, easily. But they cannot keep up with the K visas as it is without adding all those extra ones to it.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:41 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Where has the OP mentioned VWP? He said he has a tourist visa? Never mentioned VWP?
Patrick
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Where has the OP mentioned VWP? He said he has a tourist visa? Never mentioned VWP?
Patrick
Why don't the usual suspects simply not reply to this thread. There are already 100s on the board, with a good many probably started by the same person. Don't take the bait!