Taxes?

Old Nov 30th 2023, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

dahliadt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxes?

Originally Posted by tht
it is very hard to get anyone on the phone from the IRS and even harder to get any useful information from them. Even when I was filing tax’s in both the US and UK for a few years the top tier of turbo tax had all the forms I needed, you can likely get a away with a lower tier. Also remember that US tax year is 1 Jan to 31 Dec, and UK is 6th April to the following 5th April, so you need to make sure to apportion UK income (on a cash basis) in the the right US tax years. So you need to keep really accurate records. Bank statements are important vs just pay slips, because payments can take time to credit.

The FBAR is filed directly and is very simple once you understand it, no calculation, the one point to note is that you have to file the highest balance in each account for the year, so for example if you have $20k in account A in March and transfer it to account B in April you have to report a high balance of $20k in both accounts (so it looks like you have $40k) even though you only have $20k.

the link to file with the US Treasury is here
Thank you for your response! I didn't even consider apportioning the income so appreciate the great info! I finally got through to the IRS today and you were right, they were unable to assist me and just advised me to search their website? Guess I'll get busy brainstorming and knocking this out the best I can. Thanks again for the help!