Tax returns confusion

Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax returns confusion

Originally Posted by AlistairL
I'm going to sound like a real dumbass here but I'm still struggling to understand what we are actually needing. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

So the wrongly filed tax return in 2008 can be fixed by filling out an amended tax return, printing it out and showing it alongside the years W2 to the ConnOff???

When people say the need the last 3 years ' tax returns' they mean the 1040z right?

Man, this is frying my brain.
LOL, welcome to the wonderful world of taxes. Think of this as Tax Course 101, since you'll deal with US taxes every year for the rest of your life once you become a US PR. hehehe.

Yes, you can use a printout of the amended return plus the W-2.

"tax return" comes in a few varieties, but yes, 1040EZ is one of them. I think that's the one you're referring to. My husband and I don't have an easy tax return, so we file a 1040 plus several different kinds of "schedules" that go along with it, because he's self-employed.

Rene
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When people say the need the last 3 years ' tax returns' they mean the 1040z right?

Man, this is frying my brain.
There are several IRS tax return form numbers. The principal one that the majority of people use is the 1040. Your wife used the 1040EZ which is perfectly fine but it is a form of reporting income for tax purposes where you don't calculate anything but allow the government to do it for you.

So, yes, you bring her 1040EZ.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
There are several IRS tax return form numbers. The principal one that the majority of people use is the 1040. Your wife used the 1040EZ which is perfectly fine but it is a form of reporting income for tax purposes where you don't calculate anything but allow the government to do it for you.

So, yes, you bring her 1040EZ.
So all we have to do is print out a 1040EZ for each year, and accompany it with the correct W2?

Even the wrongly filed 2008 tax return can be fixed by just printing another 1040EZ putting the right info on it this time and also accompanying with the w2?

Hmm..
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

If I just make up a new revised 1040EZ, photocopy it and send it in, I can just show them the new photocopy even though it probably wont be filed yet?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If I just make up a new revised 1040EZ, photocopy it and send it in, I can just show them the new photocopy even though it probably wont be filed yet?
I think it would be better to also show proof of filing, but if it comes to a deadline, submit whatever you have in your possession.

Rene
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe they can help you with that, yes. And you don't have to wait for the final amendment to take place. You just have to show proof that you've filed the amended return.

Rene
I am preparing for an examination in taxes withing the coming weeks so links concerning taxes got my attention: This is HOW IS SEE IT:

It does take the IRS some time to process an amended return. Only returns can be done on-line. I agree with Rene, show them the proof. Form 1040X amends any previously filed individual tax return.

It's the US Citizen sponsor tax returns they need for 2007, 2008 and 2009. Her UK Citizen husband doesn't file a US Tax return for 2009 and 2010. He isn't a green card holder and hasn't passed the substantial presece test.

From the IRS website: "Generally, you cannot file as married filing jointly if either spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the tax year"

The employer hopefully are looking for credits that be applied against the US taxes that are paid to the UK to avoid double taxation.

Permanent IRS Offices Outside the United States

U.S. Embassy
24/31 Grosvenor Square
London W1A 1 AE
England

Walk-In Assistance:
Tu-Th: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. & 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone Service:
M-F: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Tel: +44-207-894-0476
Fax: +44-207-495-4224
Email: [email protected]
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Errol
From the IRS website: "Generally, you cannot file as married filing jointly if either spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the tax year"
The general flaw in this post, is that the IRS definition of "resident" is not the same as the USCIS definition of "resident"... and for tax purposes, the IRS trumps USCIS.

By your definition, two PRs who reside temporarily overseas can never file as "married filing jointly" because neither are resident for tax purposes nor pass the substantial presence test. Clearly, that's not the case.

The employer hopefully are looking for credits that be applied against the US taxes that are paid to the UK to avoid double taxation.
Why should the employer even bother... the US/UK tax treaty will allow them to avoid double taxation whether the employer makes deductions or not.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The general flaw in this post, is that the IRS definition of "resident" is not the same as the USCIS definition of "resident"... and for tax purposes, the IRS trumps USCIS.

By your definition, two PRs who reside temporarily overseas can never file as "married filing jointly" because neither are resident for tax purposes nor pass the substantial presence test. Clearly, that's not the case.

Why should the employer even bother... the US/UK tax treaty will allow them to avoid double taxation whether the employer makes deductions or not.

Ian

Ian,

You are absolutely right and I should have made myself clearer on all counts.

However:

As the UK Citizen doesn't yet have permanent resident status the US can tax the UK citizen is if he has US source income for 2009 and passed the substantial presence test. He left the US at the end of 2008

If he were a green holder in 2009, residing in or out of the US, he would have to file taxes on his world wide income and absolutely can file a joint return with his US Citizen spouse.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

So my wife went to the IRS department at the embassy with the relevant documents.

We had to amend the 2008 return due to filing in the wrong category. They photocopied the 1040x and stamped 'received' on it along side other printed information.

Basic printed information with' received' on it for the other years too.

Does this sound suffice for the interview.

I had something else in mind for 'transcripts'. They just look a little amateur ish.......
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I had something else in mind for 'transcripts'. They just look a little amateur ish.......
We all had something else in mind for transcripts. They look a bit spartan and "cheap"... but they're the bees knees!

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So my wife went to the IRS department at the embassy with the relevant documents.

We had to amend the 2008 return due to filing in the wrong category. They photocopied the 1040x and stamped 'received' on it along side other printed information.

Basic printed information with' received' on it for the other years too.

Does this sound suffice for the interview.

What you've got aren't 'transcripts' BUT the newly filed returns are acceptable with the 'received' stamp on them.

The transcript is the document that will be available from the IRS after they process the return.. it's truly uninspiring!