Reload this Page >

Which tax return for Affidavit of Support

Which tax return for Affidavit of Support

Old Feb 6th 2015, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Bear-F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which tax return for Affidavit of Support

Hi All,

We are in the process of getting my father to fill in an Affidavit of Support (I-864), for my wife's visa.

The Affidavit of Support (I-864) asks for his most recent tax return in support of the application. Should he file his 2013 return since that is the last one he completed or 2014 tax return which isn't actually due until April this year (he hasn't yet completed this one)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which tax return for Affidavit of Support

Originally Posted by Bear-F
Should he file his 2013 return since that is the last one he completed or 2014 tax return which isn't actually due until April this year (he hasn't yet completed this one)?
The 2013 return will be fine. He should probably include the most recent 3 years' worth of returns... so 2011, 2012, and 2013. If your wife's interview is in April, the officer may ask for his 2014 return also.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The 2013 return will be fine. He should probably include the most recent 3 years' worth of returns... so 2011, 2012, and 2013. If your wife's interview is in April, the officer may ask for his 2014 return also.

Ian
Or the application for the extension. I've seen that.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Or the application for the extension. I've seen that.
I don't know what the application for extension is...

Ian, I don't see anything about the last three years of tax returns from my father. He's the co-sponsor, I'm the primary sponsor and I know I have to show my last three years. Do you know this from experience or did you not know I was also a sponsor? Thank you both for your time!
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bear-F
I don't know what the application for extension is...
If you're unable to file by April 15, you can apply to extend the due date.

I don't see anything about the last three years of tax returns from my father.
Only one year is required, but the officer can ask for the previous 3 years if he wants... and he often does.

He's the co-sponsor
He's the joint sponsor. There's no such thing as a co-sponsor.

I'm the primary sponsor...
You are the sponsor. There's no "primary".

I know I have to show my last three years.
You have a joint sponsor; other than demonstrating that you filed, your tax returns are largely irrelevant.

Do you know this from experience...
Not personal experience, no... but I've been following this forum for many, many years... and it's not unusual for the officer to ask for 3 years' worth of returns.

... or did you not know I was also a sponsor?
You're the USC spouse - you are the sponsor.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2015, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Cool...
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

amariedavies is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a USC and have been living in the UK since 2011. I have had no earnings from the US nor the UK, and have no been filing US tax returns. My husband is a UKC and is working and filing taxes here in the UK. I am aware that London asks for the most recent (which is 2014 at this point). I have a joint sponsor from the US who has provided their last 3 tax returns. I'm worried that my latest will not be sufficient? I'm subscribed to a thread on here of DCF filers and each one stated that all that was asked for was the most recent return. I'm having trouble with the previous years as they are all with no income. Any ideas?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have zero income, you were not required to file a US tax return, so you're fine. The joint sponsor is providing their most recent 3 years of returns, so that's fine, too. Sounds like you're good to go.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by amariedavies
I am aware that London asks for the most recent (which is 2014 at this point).
Only if your interview is after April 15... otherwise it's 2013.

Ian
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Vermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to all

Hi. Just saw this thread sorry for jumping in. I have a similar predicament , my interview is on April 20th. We have the sponsors tax returns for 2011/2012 & 2013 but not 2014. Not even sure he has filed his yet let alone had them back? Surely it's a little unrealistic to expect them in middle of April?

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If the interview is on April 20th, then you should bring the joint sponsor's 2014 return, or proof that he's requested an extension. April 15 is the deadline for filing, unless one requests an extension. He won't have gotten anything back, you'll just include a complete photocopy of what he sent to IRS.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

amariedavies is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed that the I-864 is expired on the uscis website (03/31/2015). I am trying to get the joint sponsors documents from the USA but I'd hate for them to send the expired form and it not be accepted if the form isn't updated in time. I wonder if the london embassy would accept an expired form, which I suppose is the only option if they haven't renewed it?!

Angelia
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Vermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to allVermonta is a name known to all

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your post, I'm in the same scenario, if anyone knows please reply, I may have time to get my sponsor to fill out the updated version of form but it will be tight.

Vermonta
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:06 pm

That's an OMB date which is not relevant. If you look at Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act | USCIS, you will see they are currently using the form with an Edition Date of 3/22/13. So the one on the USCIS website IS the most current one to use.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.