British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Syed84 K1 visa approved (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/syed84-k1-visa-approved-817728/)

syed84 Dec 13th 2013 5:58 pm

Syed84 K1 visa approved

Hi All

Finally after 9 months of AP I now finally have my K1 visa in hand

hoffage123 Dec 13th 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Syed84 K1 visa approved

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11035281)
Hi All

WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy for you Syed :thumbsup: :D

When do you fly out?

Hoffage

syed84 Dec 13th 2013 6:30 pm

I had got the approval a few weeks ago but did not want to say anything until my passport and visa was in my hand.

I am due to fly out on Monday 16th Dec

I am so pleased and happy to say the least

hoffage123 Dec 13th 2013 6:34 pm

Best wishes to you and your fiancée and hope you have a great flight :)

Hoffage

technolog Dec 13th 2013 6:43 pm

Congratulations! I've been quietly hoping good things for you.

ian-mstm Dec 13th 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11035281)

Wonderful news! What an ordeal. Congratulations!

ian

Noorah101 Dec 13th 2013 6:57 pm

Congratulations!! :)

Rene

civilservant Dec 13th 2013 9:41 pm

Halla-fu*in-luyah!

syed84 Dec 14th 2013 10:05 am

Thank you so much guys for all the support you have given me over the past few months.
Now just looking forward to flying over and starting the next part our journey AOS

Speedwell Dec 14th 2013 11:50 pm

Syed, I'm so happy for you!! Success at last!! Come on home dude! :D <3

lizzyq Dec 16th 2013 7:01 am

Hope your journey and admission go smoothly today.

Lizzy

BunnyGirl Dec 16th 2013 8:00 am

Finally! That's fantastic news! :D

syed84 Dec 17th 2013 11:03 am

I made it safe and sound to Dallas yesterday. Everything went smoothly

ian-mstm Dec 17th 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11041125)

Outstanding! :)

Ian

Speedwell Dec 17th 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11041125)

Welcome to Texas, Syed :) Get a good hot Texas breakfast and enjoy yourself!

syed84 Dec 24th 2013 3:42 am

Thank you guys

So if I understand correctly I will be able to get my SSN after about two weeks. At which point can I apply for my drivers test/license? We have had our court marriage just now planning the week long of
Asian wedding functions :)

Will be starting my AOS paperwork after Christmas

Noorah101 Dec 24th 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11049920)
Thank you guys

So if I understand correctly I will be able to get my SSN after about two weeks. At which point can I apply for my drivers test/license? We have had our court marriage just now planning the week long of
Asian wedding functions :)

Will be starting my AOS paperwork after Christmas

Yes.

Rene

syed84 Dec 30th 2013 1:21 am

Would you say I am good to go and get my ssn tomorrow? I entered on 16th December. Also can anyone just confirm the name of the office I would pop into and what I should take with me?

ian-mstm Dec 30th 2013 1:51 am

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11055007)
Would you say I am good to go and get my ssn tomorrow?

Yes.

Also can anyone just confirm the name of the office...
SSA - Social Security Administration. You can get the address of your local office online.

... what I should take with me?
Take a copy of your I-94... you can get it online and print it; and your passport with the K-1 visa in it.

Ian

syed84 Dec 30th 2013 2:47 am

Thank you Ian

Helpful as always

jeffreyhy Dec 30th 2013 2:51 pm

For a social security number one applies to the Social Security Administration. :cool:

Also can anyone just confirm the name of the office I would pop into ...

See the application form and instructions on the SSA web site.

... and what I should take with me?

Regards, JEff

syed84 Dec 30th 2013 7:55 pm

Hi All

I went down to the SSA office and they did not have a SSN for me. I was told they need to verify with homeland security. Is this process really likely to take up to 4 weeks?

Speedwell Dec 30th 2013 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11056078)
Hi All

I went down to the SSA office and they did not have a SSN for me. I was told they need to verify with homeland security. Is this process really likely to take up to 4 weeks?

They always need to verify with homeland security, even in the most straightforward cases, and yeah, it can take up to several weeks. It's just that for a CR-1, the form has a place where you can request a number, so they get a lot of the processing out of the way for you while your visa paperwork is processing (I think). Otherwise my husband could not have got his SSN just a week or so after landing.

Noorah101 Dec 30th 2013 8:10 pm

Hi All

Did they say they needed to do a "manual" verification? If that's the case, then yes, it can take several weeks.

My husband is from Iran, and came to the USA on a K-1. When we applied for his SSN, they said they needed to do a manual verification because of where he was from. At that time (2004), they said they did manual verifications on everyone from Iran, Syria, and maybe Pakistan. The list could be different nowadays.

If I recall correctly, it took 4 weeks to get the manual verification cleared and then another 2 weeks to get the actual SS card in the mail.

Rene

jeffreyhy Dec 30th 2013 8:16 pm

There are two ways to "verify with [H]omeland [S]ecurity". One is to use a computer to look you up in the DHS SAVE data base. It can typically take up to 2 weeks after entry to show up in SAVE, which is the basis for the recommendation that a K-1 not apply until they have been in the USA for 2 weeks.

The second way is for the SSA to submit a form G-845 to USCIS to confirm a person's immigration status. This manual process can take weeks.

Regards, JEff

syed84 Dec 30th 2013 8:48 pm

Well I'm not sure the lady at the DMV was able to verify my status and issue me with a state ID. The guys at the SSA needed to verify although if I'm totally honest he looked very confused

Noorah101 Dec 30th 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11056153)
Well I'm not sure the lady at the DMV was able to verify my status and issue me with a state ID. The guys at the SSA needed to verify although if I'm totally honest he looked very confused

Did the guy accept your SSN application? I mean, did you hand it over to him and he kept it? Or did he just tell you he needs to check, and not take any documents from you?

DMV and SSA are totally separate agencies, so might not use the same source for checking status.

Rene

syed84 Dec 30th 2013 10:19 pm

He took my application in after going over my passport, I94 and marriage license

I'm still good to submit my AoS paperwork?

Noorah101 Dec 30th 2013 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11056265)
He took my application in after going over my passport, I94 and marriage license

OK, then to me it sounds like he wants to do that manual verification process. You can always go back in person again anytime to ask for an update on the application. Don't try it by phone, because they cannot know your identity on the phone, and SS information is secure. Do it in person.

I'm still good to submit my AoS paperwork?
Oh yes, you don't need your SSN for that. Get that filed as soon after marriage as possible.

Rene

syed84 Dec 31st 2013 10:03 pm

Just completing my AOS, AP and EAD paperwork.

How many passport photos do I need to submit with the entire package?

Is one copy of my I-94, birth certificate, passport photo page,visa/entry stamp page, vaccination sheet and marriage license be enough? Or should I submit separate copies for each form?

Noorah101 Dec 31st 2013 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11057771)

As many as each application asks for. Look at the I-485, I-131, and I-765 separately. Attach photos to each application as listed in the instructions for each one.

Is one copy of my I-94, birth certificate, passport photo page,visa/entry stamp page, vaccination sheet and marriage license be enough? Or should I submit separate copies for each form?
You need to submit everything each individual application asks for.

Treat each application separately.

Rene

syed84 Dec 31st 2013 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11057782)
Treat each application separately.

Rene

Thank you for the advice

Happy New Year:)

Noorah101 Dec 31st 2013 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11057800)
Thank you for the advice

Happy New Year:)

Happy New Year to you, too! :)

Rene

jeffreyhy Jan 1st 2014 8:07 pm

Recognize that you are making three separate applications, even if all three will be sent in the same envelope.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11057771)
Just completing my AOS, AP and EAD paperwork.

syed84 Jan 16th 2014 1:30 am

Hi All

I am having trouble getting my SSN. The SSN office wrote to me stating that they are unable to issue my SSN as they were unable to verify my eligibility for one.

I know have two options according to the letter.

1- I return to the office present supporting documentation and ask for a review (I did present visa, I-94 and Marraige certificate)

2- Contact Homeland Security (infopass appointment) and get to the bottom of what has happened.

Just to give you some background we are now married, I have DMV issued State ID, I have submitted AOS paperwork(written confirmation received) and I have passed my driving written test.

I am very concerned about this as they are unable to verify from Homeland. Would I be taking a risk going to this infopass without attorney? This might sound silly but is my status in the US at risk?

Please help

hoffage123 Jan 16th 2014 8:48 am

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11080717)
Hi All

I am having trouble getting my SSN. The SSN office wrote to me stating that they are unable to issue my SSN as they were unable to verify my eligibility for one.

I know have two options according to the letter.

1- I return to the office present supporting documentation and ask for a review (I did present visa, I-94 and Marraige certificate)

2- Contact Homeland Security (infopass appointment) and get to the bottom of what has happened.

Just to give you some background we are now married, I have DMV issued State ID, I have submitted AOS paperwork(written confirmation received) and I have passed my driving written test.

I am very concerned about this as they are unable to verify from Homeland. Would I be taking a risk going to this infopass without attorney? This might sound silly but is my status in the US at risk?

Please help

Syed,

I don't personally think your status is at risk - it sounds more like an administrative blunder/delay and for some reason your details have not yet been transferred from the DHS side to the SSN office. I suggest you provide what they are asking for and schedule an infopass appointment. I don't think you need an attorney at this stage, it is just a simple case of one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. You have your passport with the visa in as proof as well as everything else, so it shouldn't be a problem I think.

Keep calm :)

Hoffage

civilservant Jan 16th 2014 10:14 am

It seems like you haven't been entered into SAVE yet. Which is a little odd. There's no harm in the Infopass appointment, just to check that the information they hold is correct.

Why not just to ahead an submit AoS? At least that way you'll know your EAD is coming, and you'll certainly get an SSN then.

ian-mstm Jan 16th 2014 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11080717)

This seems to be the easier of the two options - why not do it? Ask to speak to a supervisor if you don't get anywhere with the front office staff.

... is my status in the US at risk?
No.

Ian

syed84 Jan 16th 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice

So I went in and the same guy at the window. He knew exactly who I was as soon as I showed him the state ID he apologized and explained he put my name in wrong....at least it is resolved

ian-mstm Jan 16th 2014 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by syed84 (Post 11081891)
He knew exactly who I was as soon as I showed him the state ID he apologized and explained he put my name in wrong....at least it is resolved

Excellent news. :)

Ian