Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

sydney consulate questions

sydney consulate questions

Old Oct 25th 2002, 3:00 pm
Lisa Simmonds

Default sydney consulate questions

i'm just curious about a couple of questions regarding the sydney consulate.

1. what is the rough time they give out appointments?
2. how soon do they issue a visa if nothing is wrong?
3. how friendly are they when it comes to issuing visas (ie are the 221g
happy, or really fussy liek the indian - based consulates seem to be)

any experiences regarding the sydney consulate would be wonderful, since i'm
flying in from perth, and i don't want to have to fly back for a couple of
pieces of paper....

thanks in advance

Lisa

Old Oct 25th 2002, 3:53 pm
mca
Forum Regular

mca is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't know anything about Sydney, but I have a friend whose fiance recently received a K-1 visa from there. According to her (from him) they didn't care anything about their relationship; they were most concerned with the affidavit of support and evidence regarding that. They had a co-sponsor, so that may be why. The fiance went to the consulate, he had to return a week later with further evidence (of support), and then a couple of days after that he received a phone call stating he had been approved. He went back to get the visa attached in his passport and that was that.

Hope it helps somewhat, but I'm sure other people can give you more information.

mca
Old Oct 25th 2002, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

sequoyah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney interview process

Hi Lisa

I have recently arrived in the US after leaving Perth and going through the American consulate in Sydney. Im not sure what sort of visa you are applying for but my husband and i filed for a CR1 and he had to fly into Australia to lodge the I130.

What i can tell you is that the 'interview' wasnt really one at all. When you arrive at the consulate you have to go through strict security screening before being let into the consulate doors. Once there you are faced with a wall of numbered booths and this is where all of the paperwork is processed. The first thing we had to do was to register at one booth and then move to the next where we had to hand over AUD$2000.00 before they would even look at our application.

Everyone then takes a seat in the waiting area, there is no privacy and you can hear each applicant as they hand over their papers etc. Out of the 6 couples that were there with my husband and i only we were issued with our visas the same day. All of the others had either not completed the papers correctly, had documents missing or were just told they didnt qualify.

If you are approved then the visa (brown envelope containing all your paperwork) is issued within the hour.

Drop me an email if you want more details as i was only there in July this year. My email is [email protected].

Good luck
Old Oct 25th 2002, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sydney consulate questions

Originally posted by Lisa Simmonds
i'm just curious about a couple of questions regarding the sydney consulate.

1. what is the rough time they give out appointments?
My appointment was at 9.30am and I was out of there visa in hand by 11.30am.
2. how soon do they issue a visa if nothing is wrong?
My visa was issued within about 30-45 minutes of my interview. I just waited for it although they asked me if I would like to come back later.
3. how friendly are they when it comes to issuing visas (ie are the 221g
happy, or really fussy liek the indian - based consulates seem to be)
I wouldn't say they were particularly friendly. The woman who checked my papers was friendly and thanked me for my organisation. The woman who interviewed me was quite stone-faced and seemed to want to make me admit that because my fiancee was a first year medical doctor that we wouldn't be spending much time together. I should have said "well it would have to be more time than now since we are living in separate countries!". Anyway I was just polite and said "that it wouldn't be that bad". I wasn't intimidated though as I knew we were genuine in our relationship and her trying to trip me up was just silly. The only questions were about who was with me at the consulate (my mother was-fantastic moral support!) my fiancee's employment, and whether he still wanted me to go over there- Duh! Anyway I'd have to say it was a breeze so don't be too nervous (I tried not to be at all but the seriousness of it got to me a little!).

any experiences regarding the sydney consulate would be wonderful, since i'm
flying in from perth, and i don't want to have to fly back for a couple of
pieces of paper....

thanks in advance

Lisa
Good Luck. If you want any other advice feel free to email be direct [email protected].
Old Oct 25th 2002, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by desusa
Good Luck. If you want any other advice feel free to email be direct [email protected].
Sorry about my reply above. I didn't mean it to look like it was part of you quote. I seem to have messed up! Anyway I think you can still read it.
Old Nov 5th 2002, 11:38 pm
Diane

Try the following site has experiences for all embassies Oz included,
I had my K1 back in March gave a detailed report at the below site.
http://www.kamya.com/interview/

"Lisa Simmonds" wrote in message news:...
    > i'm just curious about a couple of questions regarding the sydney consulate.
    >
    > 1. what is the rough time they give out appointments?
    > 2. how soon do they issue a visa if nothing is wrong?
    > 3. how friendly are they when it comes to issuing visas (ie are the 221g
    > happy, or really fussy liek the indian - based consulates seem to be)
    >
    >
    > any experiences regarding the sydney consulate would be wonderful, since i'm
    > flying in from perth, and i don't want to have to fly back for a couple of
    > pieces of paper....
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Lisa