Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Successful K3 via Mumbai (Bombay)

Wikiposts

Successful K3 via Mumbai (Bombay)

Old May 23rd 2002, 5:20 am
Bc

Default Successful K3 via Mumbai (Bombay)

Hello all,

My wife got K3 from Mumbai Consulate. The passport has 2 year visa and was given the
'brown' envelope'. The interview was a 2 part interview. The first part was when an
Indian Lady asked for the demand draft for the visa. She first took the Indian
Passport, then looked at the Marriage Certificate. Then she told my wife that there
is a problem with the Marriage Certificate and that it wasn't original. My wife
showed her the true copy stamps on the Marriage Certificate with the signatures of
the Marriage Magistrate from the town we got married. She asked for a copy a of the
marriage certificate and returned the true copy of marriage certificate. Next she
asked for the birth certificate. My wife showed her both the Native Language and the
English Translated. She glanced at the Native Language and took a copy of English
tranlated and returned the originals to my wife. Then she asked for Aff of Support
(I-134). She looked at the Aff of Support and kept only the notarized I-134 and only
2001 tax returns. She returned all of the other documents (Job Letter, Bank Letter,
Bank Statements, Pay Stubs, listing of all the assets and the past 2 years of tax
returns). She took the original Police Clearance Certificate (local and one from the
Regional Passport Office) Then she asked what does you husband do in USA. After that
she was asked to go sit in the waiting area and listen for her name to be called.

After hour so they called her name and she went to the window. There was an American
Lady and Indian Lady for translating. She was asked when we got married. What I did
in USA. What is her parents name. How much time I was with her after marriage. How
many people were at the wedding. During the middle of the questions she was asked to
open the wedding album and turn pages. She was also answering the questions that they
were asking at the same time as she was flipping the pages on the wedding album. She
was asked what she studied and if she was working. At the end the American Lady said
you have been granted visa to enter US.

She said there were a few denials that day due to incomplete paperwork.

Even though not all of the documents were asked for she took the following with her.
It may seem a bit more but its better to be over prepared then under.

Marriage Certificate true copies and 2 copies Native and English Translated birth
certificate original and 2 copies Local Police Clearance Certificate original and 2
copies Regional Police Clearance Certificate from the Passport Office and 2 copies
I-134 2 original sets Wedding Album Couple wedding invitation cards Ration card All
the letters, emails, and cards that I had sent her and from my family with USPS
postmarks. All the phone records from me with her phone number. All the letters,
emails and cards that she sent me with Indian postmarks. I sent these back to her All
the phone records from her with my phone number. All the copies of the paperwork
filed here in US and the approval notices. Copy of my US Passport (all the pages). My
wife had also gotten a new a passport with married name after marriage. This is
because we didn't want to go through the hassle of getting a new Indian Passport with
Married name in USA then transferring the K3 Visa stamp to the new passport.

I am just posting this information to help others as the information from this NG has
helped me. Please use your judgement and not use this as a guideline.

Good Luck to all. -b

Old May 23rd 2002, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Kimmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Successful K3 via Mumbai (Bombay)

Thanks for sharing this information! And congratuations to you and your wife. The interview seems more grueling in India, so my husband is a little tense about that, but we'll get thru it.

What is your timeline for the I-129F, if you don't mind me asking...

Thanks,
Kim
Old May 23rd 2002, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations.

i smile every time i hear someone passing thru Mumbai.

i have a bit of a question for you bc. Did you have a Vedic marriage and did you also register it?

Best wishes,
Old May 23rd 2002, 3:20 pm
Bc

Hi Tara,

Yes, the person from the register of marriage came to wedding and had us sign the
marriage certificate. He and the priest signed the MC as witnesses to the marriage.

Thanks for the wishes.

-b

tara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Congratulations.
    >
    > i smile every time i hear someone passing thru Mumbai.
    >
    > i have a bit of a question for you bc. Did you have a Vedic marriage and did you
    > also register it?
    >
    > Best wishes,

Old May 24th 2002, 2:20 am
Omo

[email protected] (bc) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi Tara,
    >
    > Yes, the person from the register of marriage came to wedding and had us sign the
    > marriage certificate. He and the priest signed the MC as witnesses to the marriage.
    >
    > Thanks for the wishes.
    >

Congratulations! Your experience is quite similar to what my spouse went through at
the interview, but all went well in the end. Happy life!

Omo.