Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Successful Boston Interview... F-1 to IR-6...

Wikiposts

Successful Boston Interview... F-1 to IR-6...

Old Apr 27th 2002, 5:10 pm
Des

Default Successful Boston Interview... F-1 to IR-6...

Hello NG,

We made it! We successfully finished the adjustment process last Tuesday with a
permanent residence stamp in my passport with no conditions attached (IR-6)! Thanks
to all of you for posting your experiences here!

Just to recap, here’s our timeline:

- came to country in July 1997 on F-1 student visa (valid until 2003), met my husband
that summer
- married three years later, end of March 2000
- one year later, got around to filing I-130, I-485, I-693, I-131, I-765 with Boston
INS in person, on April 23, 2001; got both AP (one year validity) and EAD same day,
as well as letter with scheduled appointments for fingerprinting and interview
- had fingerprinting appointment in July 2001, scheduled interview with INS in
October 2001
- rescheduled October 2001 interview date due to company transfer to Europe (London &
then Germany); wrote letter to INS Boston asking for advice on situation, whether
to abandon process, have interview and files moved to Europe for interview, or just
reschedule interview in Boston
- November 2001, received answer from INS with rescheduled interview for April 23,
2002 in Boston at 10.50 am.
- February 2002: found out about this great NG and www.kamya.com and started reading
up on other people’s experiences to get prepared for the interview!!!
- April 23, 2002: got adjusted to permanent resident, no conditions attached!

We flew to Boston a couple of days before the interview, uncertain as to whether we
would actually be able to get adjusted due to our situation of living outside the US
at the moment. We spent the night before the interview in a Boston hotel, went over
all the forms and made sure we had all tax returns etc. up to date and all our
‘evidence’ in order, which ranged from insurance to bank statements to
pictures from the last five years. Just to be on the safe side, we filled out an
AR-11 and I-865 (change of address to our permanent US mailing address). On the
morning of the interview, we both dressed professionally (business suits), had a
leisurely breakfast with my husband’s parents (our co-sponsors at filing time),
went together to JFK Federal Building around 10.15 am, passed security, and checked
in at room E-170 for our interview. The officer at the desk took our appointment
letter, took my fingerprints, and had me sign my name twice. We were kindly informed
that we had the last appointment of the day (10.50 am), and that they were running a
little behind schedule. We were called shortly before noon by a very friendly
interviewer.

At his cubicle, we were sworn in, and I saw our file on his desk, with a big red
sticker and the handwritten note: “3 years outside the country”, which
refers the length of my work program with an American company in different branches
(and not all of which is abroad). Discovering this, I felt my heart sinking and was
almost sure that we’d end up starting the whole process over from Germany in a
couple of months to get transferred back to the US by the end of the year.

However, the interviewer surprised me, and instead of focusing on the interview,
started by asking me questions in Spanish, German, and French. Thankfully, they were
basic ones – did I understand what he was saying, where had I learned these
languages, did I speak any other languages, how was life abroad etc… He then
nodded at me, stating that “he had finally met his match”, so I asked him
whether he was giving interviews in the foreign spouses’ native languages? His
reply was that sometimes couples bring along translators that are having difficulties
expressing themselves in English as well, and that he could then help out by asking
the foreign spouse directly in their native language. I was actually quite impressed!

Almost immediately, however, the interview turned serious and was all business from
that point on. Our interviewer started by asking for passports, driver’s
licenses, and social security cards, then verified our address and wrote our new
mailing address into the file directly (and returned AR-11 and I-865 to us). He then
turned to my husband and said “I always like to ask husbands this – what
is your wedding date?,” a question my better half was well prepared to answer.
 Next, we answered some questions about where we had gone to school, what
subject both our degrees were in, where we both worked and my particular work
situation…

He then went on to look at evidence and asked for a joint car lease – pretty
much the only thing we don’t have because we are moving so much at the moment.
We pulled out the folder with all our evidence, and he decided at random to look at
our US health insurance, asked whether we had lived together since we were married
(to which a single “yes” was sufficient), and took our co-sponsors’
tax returns. I offered to show him wedding pictures but he actually decided
he’d prefer looking at pictures of us in Europe instead!

The next step was asking me the litany of questions on the I-485: had I ever been
arrested, did I have a husband or child anywhere in the world, did I ever enter the
US on a J visa, did I intend to engage in terrorism or know any terrorists personally
etc., to which I answered with a brief “no” each time (though I admit to
being tempted to smile at some of the legalese…)!

He then looked at all three of my passports (two invalid ones: one with the original
F-1 student visa, one before my name change), took a close look at my original F-1
visa and I-20 and their validity dates, took note of my name change for his files,
and flipped through the passports to check for stamps from foreign countries.
Satisfied that they were matching the stamps on my AP papers, he took both the AP
papers and my EAD card, removed the I-94, wrote something into his notes, took out a
sheet of paper from his desk drawer, remarked that we had been very well prepared
(many thanks to this NG!!!), and asked whether I’d consider working for
INS… 

With a brief handshake, he congratulated us and welcomed me to the country, stamped
my passport with temporary evidence of my permanent residence marked IR-6 for
“no conditions attached” because we had been married for more than two
years, and handed me my welcome letter with the remark that I can now go through the
fast USC lane at the airport! The Greencard should be in the mail within 6 – 8
months…

So thanks to this newsgroup and especially Andy for all your help and advice! (and
yes Rete, I am posting this at kamya.com). And I have to say that I am also very
thankful to INS Boston for being helpful, friendly and efficient throughout the whole
process!!!

Old Apr 28th 2002, 1:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful Boston Interview... F-1 to IR-6...

Congratulations!

And Thanks for posting on the experience page. Much appreciated.

Rete
Old Apr 28th 2002, 3:10 am
Betastar

On 27 Apr 2002 21:34:55 -0700, [email protected] (Des) wrote:

>Hello NG,
    >
    >We made it! We successfully finished the adjustment process last Tuesday with a
    >permanent residence stamp in my passport with no conditions attached (IR-6)! Thanks
    >to all of you for posting your experiences here!

Congratulations! Good to see a good, efficient, and smart person working for the
Boston office

Old Apr 28th 2002, 4:40 am
Vitali Korobov

When I tried to read the messages in this string, funny little reading glasses
appeared to the left of every message. There is nothing wrong with my vision . I
use Outlook Express as my NG client. Does any one know what these glasses mean?
Just curious.

"Des" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello NG,
    >
    > We made it! We successfully finished the adjustment process last Tuesday with a
    > permanent residence stamp in my passport with no conditions attached (IR-6)! Thanks
    > to all of you for posting your experiences here!
    >
    > Just to recap, here’s our timeline:
    >
    > - came to country in July 1997 on F-1 student visa (valid until 2003), met my
    > husband that summer
    > - married three years later, end of March 2000
    > - one year later, got around to filing I-130, I-485, I-693, I-131, I-765 with
    > Boston INS in person, on April 23, 2001; got both AP (one year validity) and EAD
    > same day, as well as letter with scheduled appointments for fingerprinting and
    > interview
    > - had fingerprinting appointment in July 2001, scheduled interview with INS in
    > October 2001
    > - rescheduled October 2001 interview date due to company transfer to Europe (London
    > & then Germany); wrote letter to INS Boston asking for advice on situation,
    > whether to abandon process, have interview and files moved to Europe for
    > interview, or just reschedule interview in Boston
    > - November 2001, received answer from INS with rescheduled interview for April 23,
    > 2002 in Boston at 10.50 am.
    > - February 2002: found out about this great NG and www.kamya.com and started
    > reading up on other people’s experiences to get prepared for the
    > interview!!!
    > - April 23, 2002: got adjusted to permanent resident, no conditions attached!
    >
    > We flew to Boston a couple of days before the interview, uncertain as to whether we
    > would actually be able to get adjusted due to our situation of living outside the
    > US at the moment. We spent the night before the interview in a Boston hotel, went
    > over all the forms and made sure we had all tax returns etc. up to date and all our
    > ‘evidence’ in order, which ranged from insurance to bank statements to
    > pictures from the last five years. Just to be on the safe side, we filled out an
    > AR-11 and I-865 (change of address to our permanent US mailing address). On the
    > morning of the interview, we both dressed professionally (business suits), had a
    > leisurely breakfast with my husband’s parents (our co-sponsors at filing
    > time), went together to JFK Federal Building around 10.15 am, passed security, and
    > checked in at room E-170 for our interview. The officer at the desk took our
    > appointment letter, took my fingerprints, and had me sign my name twice. We were
    > kindly informed that we had the last appointment of the day (10.50 am), and that
    > they were running a little behind schedule. We were called shortly before noon by a
    > very friendly interviewer.
    >
    > At his cubicle, we were sworn in, and I saw our file on his desk, with a big red
    > sticker and the handwritten note: “3 years outside the country”, which
    > refers the length of my work program with an American company in different branches
    > (and not all of which is abroad). Discovering this, I felt my heart sinking and was
    > almost sure that we’d end up starting the whole process over from Germany in
    > a couple of months to get transferred back to the US by the end of the year.
    >
    > However, the interviewer surprised me, and instead of focusing on the interview,
    > started by asking me questions in Spanish, German, and French. Thankfully, they
    > were basic ones – did I understand what he was saying, where had I learned
    > these languages, did I speak any other languages, how was life abroad etc… He
    > then nodded at me, stating that “he had finally met his match”, so I
    > asked him whether he was giving interviews in the foreign spouses’ native
    > languages? His reply was that sometimes couples bring along translators that are
    > having difficulties expressing themselves in English as well, and that he could
    > then help out by asking the foreign spouse directly in their native language. I was
    > actually quite impressed!
    >
    > Almost immediately, however, the interview turned serious and was all business from
    > that point on. Our interviewer started by asking for passports, driver’s
    > licenses, and social security cards, then verified our address and wrote our new
    > mailing address into the file directly (and returned AR-11 and I-865 to us). He
    > then turned to my husband and said “I always like to ask husbands this
    > – what is your wedding date?,” a question my better half was well
    > prepared to answer.  Next, we answered some questions about where we had
    > gone to school, what subject both our degrees were in, where we both worked and my
    > particular work situation…
    >
    > He then went on to look at evidence and asked for a joint car lease – pretty
    > much the only thing we don’t have because we are moving so much at the
    > moment. We pulled out the folder with all our evidence, and he decided at random to
    > look at our US health insurance, asked whether we had lived together since we were
    > married (to which a single “yes” was sufficient), and took our
    > co-sponsors’ tax returns. I offered to show him wedding pictures but he
    > actually decided he’d prefer looking at pictures of us in Europe instead!
    >
    > The next step was asking me the litany of questions on the I-485: had I ever been
    > arrested, did I have a husband or child anywhere in the world, did I ever enter the
    > US on a J visa, did I intend to engage in terrorism or know any terrorists
    > personally etc., to which I answered with a brief “no” each time
    > (though I admit to being tempted to smile at some of the legalese…)!
    >
    > He then looked at all three of my passports (two invalid ones: one with the
    > original F-1 student visa, one before my name change), took a close look at my
    > original F-1 visa and I-20 and their validity dates, took note of my name change
    > for his files, and flipped through the passports to check for stamps from foreign
    > countries. Satisfied that they were matching the stamps on my AP papers, he took
    > both the AP papers and my EAD card, removed the I-94, wrote something into his
    > notes, took out a sheet of paper from his desk drawer, remarked that we had been
    > very well prepared (many thanks to this NG!!!), and asked whether I’d
    > consider working for INS… 
    >
    > With a brief handshake, he congratulated us and welcomed me to the country, stamped
    > my passport with temporary evidence of my permanent residence marked IR-6 for
    > “no conditions attached” because we had been married for more than two
    > years, and handed me my welcome letter with the remark that I can now go through
    > the fast USC lane at the airport! The Greencard should be in the mail within 6
    > – 8 months…
    >
    > So thanks to this newsgroup and especially Andy for all your help and advice! (and
    > yes Rete, I am posting this at kamya.com). And I have to say that I am also very
    > thankful to INS Boston for being helpful, friendly and efficient throughout the
    > whole process!!!

Old Apr 28th 2002, 4:40 am
Vitali Korobov

Rete,

Is there a separate "experience" page somewhere? Thanks

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Congratulations!
    >
    > And Thanks for posting on the experience page. Much appreciated.
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 28th 2002, 5:10 am
Mister Heartbre

"Vitali Korobov" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> When I tried to read the messages in this string, funny little reading glasses
    > appeared to the left of every message. There is nothing wrong with my vision . I
    > use Outlook Express as my NG client. Does any one know what these glasses mean?
    > Just curious.
    >

<snip>

It just means that the thread is marked as 'watched'.

Dave (a former Outlook Express user).

Old Apr 28th 2002, 7:10 am
Vitali Korobov

I see, thanks. If you found something better for reading newsgroups than MS OE, could
you please let me know?

"Mister Heartbreak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Xns91FEB117ADFC2davelamb68hotma...194.168.222.19...
    > "Vitali Korobov" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > When I tried to read the messages in this string, funny little reading glasses
    > > appeared to the left of every message. There is nothing wrong with my vision .
    > > I use Outlook Express as my NG client. Does any one know what these glasses mean?
    > > Just curious.
    > >
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >
    > It just means that the thread is marked as 'watched'.
    >
    > Dave (a former Outlook Express user).

Old Apr 28th 2002, 7:10 am
Mister Heartbre

> I see, thanks. If you found something better for reading newsgroups than MS OE,
    > could you please let me know?

Yes, I use Xnews - it takes a little getting used to, but it's a good one (and it's
free!). There's also FreeAgent, which I believe is also very good.

Dave.

Old Apr 28th 2002, 7:10 pm
Vitali Korobov

Thanks for the info. I do not like MS OE, since it does not allow me to remove the
messages I read, or am not interested in, selectively. It's either all or nothing.
Can Xnews or Free Agent do that, do you know?

news:Xns91FEC857ED829davelamb68hotma...194.168.222.63...
    >
    > > I see, thanks. If you found something better for reading newsgroups than MS OE,
    > > could you please let me know?
    >
    > Yes, I use Xnews - it takes a little getting used to, but it's a good one
(and it's
    > free!). There's also FreeAgent, which I believe is also very good.
    >
    > Dave.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 12:10 am
Andy Platt

"Des" <[email protected]> wrote:

> We made it! We successfully finished the adjustment process last Tuesday with a
    > permanent residence stamp in my passport with no conditions attached (IR-6)!

Congrats. I'm glad everything went smoothly. Did he tell you about re-entry permits
or anything like that?

Andy.

P.S. I think that interviewer was bogus - whoever heard of a multi-lingual
immigration interviewer?

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 1:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The following URL's pertain to all FAQ's and experience pages for such things as I-130, K-1, AOS, I-551 and N-400 Interviews; experiences at various POE's, how-to's on filing, etc.

I, and others, have been displaying these URL's for years in the hopes that people will read them and learn and then post their experiences there as well.

The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com
The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
Update AOS Experiences at: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html
Update POE Experiences at: http://www.k1poelist.com/
Update AOS filing: http://www.kamya.com/aos/
I-130/I-485 Helpsite at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm
AOS filing; AOS, I-130 and K-1 Interview Experiences:
http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

also you should not be so choosy about what you read on the NG. On the average 95% of everything posted will eventually pertain to you and your loved one's filing and status.

And I use www.britishexpats.com as my newsread. You can also view the group through www.google.com

Rete
Old Apr 29th 2002, 9:40 pm
Mister Heartbre

> Thanks for the info. I do not like MS OE, since it does not allow me to remove the
    > messages I read, or am not interested in, selectively. It's either all or nothing.
    > Can Xnews or Free Agent do that, do you know?

I can't speak for Free Agent, but I think Xnews allows you to apply certain filters;
I have to admit I'm not what you'd call an 'experienced user' - I just dabble. But if
you go to http://Xnews.3Dnews.net, I'm sure you'll find all you're looking for.

Good luck! Dave.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:10 pm
Vitali Korobov

Thanks, Dave.

news:Xns92006900AF3FDdavelamb68hotma...62.253.162.107...
    >
    > > Thanks for the info. I do not like MS OE, since it does not allow me to remove
    > > the messages I read, or am not interested in, selectively. It's either all or
    > > nothing. Can Xnews or Free Agent do that, do you know?
    >
    >
    > I can't speak for Free Agent, but I think Xnews allows you to apply
certain filters; I
    > have to admit I'm not what you'd call an 'experienced user' - I just
dabble. But if you
    > go to http://Xnews.3Dnews.net, I'm sure you'll find all you're looking
for.
    >
    > Good luck! Dave.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:10 pm
Des

Andy,

no he didn't tell me about re-entry permits. Do I remember correctly that you only
use them (i.e. I-131) if you are planning to stay outside the country for more than
one but less than two years? (which would not apply to me then... I'm never out of
the country for more than 4 or 5 months at a time... )

The only thing he DID tell me is that the green card will be sent to our US home, and
whoever picks up our mail should send me the greencard immediately if I happen to be
abroad at the time, otherwise it may be difficult for me to re-enter as their system
at POE shows that I should be in possession of the plastic card.

The interviewer certainly threw me off-track in the beginning with those languages, I
was just lucky that I remembered some of the phrases from vacation !

Anyway, thanks again! Des

Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:40 pm
Laybe

Hi Des,

I almost missed your original post. I know it's been a few days, but congratulation!
Good luck with your future!

laybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.