Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Strange situation. need some advice

Wikiposts

Strange situation. need some advice

Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange situation. need some advice

Originally Posted by jimgreener
You guys really jump to conclusions. You think I would be stupid to have a marriage without certificate?

Actually can tell you a funny story about that. A friend's sister has been married for over 15 years now, at least she thought she was. It appears that the marriage certificate was never registered at city hall by the Rabbi who performed the ceremony. The man was now quite dead and buried and his paperwork scattered to the winds. Thankfully they had their commenorative certificate and were able, after getting notarized sworn affidavits, to file that copy at city hall.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:19 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
An interview for what? You never say!

Your marriage certificate is all you need to prove the "legality of the marriage". If you haven't got that... well then, you really are in trouble.

Ian
I had my marriage cert and joint utility bills, bank statements, tax returns on Monday.

However, the AO wanted to see more information: he specifically said something like car or house insurance, health plan documentation, something other than a purely financial document. I was surprised to say the least, but I had my health card with me, which showed both names on the same card, which he accepted.

I don't know whether it was because my wife still uses her maiden name, but you can never have too much information.

It seemed a bit odd to me, since there the two spouse-related conditions for the three-year N-400 vs. the five-year, are that you are still married to, and are still living with the person who sponsored your marriage-based green card.

I couldn't see what the health card offered that the other documents did not. However. when you're in the interview, you're playing by their rules. I wanted to get approved, so I wasn't going to kick up a fuss.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
However, the AO wanted to see more information...
But, unlike what the OP wrote, you weren't trying to prove the "legality" of the marriage. You were demonstrating an ongoing, viable marriage with commingling. That stuff doesn't make your marriage "legal"... but the marriage certificate sure does!

Ian
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

jimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nice

I apologize if I came across as rude or offensive.
Its just that I am a little worried. I got my GC thru wife. in 2005 and am now applying for Naturalization.

Ian:
I definitely am planning to take my marriage certificate and my son's birth certificate. This is my first marriage and so is my wife's. So , no prior marriage or children for either of us

Thanks for the tip about waiting for the oath letter.
However, I am not sure what you mean when you say "...if you pass"
I wasn't aware that someone can fail in the interview (unless of course you don't answer the questions (6 out of 10)).
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

jimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nice

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I had my marriage cert and joint utility bills, bank statements, tax returns on Monday.

However, the AO wanted to see more information: he specifically said something like car or house insurance, health plan documentation, something other than a purely financial document. I was surprised to say the least, but I had my health card with me, which showed both names on the same card, which he accepted.

I don't know whether it was because my wife still uses her maiden name, but you can never have too much information.

It seemed a bit odd to me, since there the two spouse-related conditions for the three-year N-400 vs. the five-year, are that you are still married to, and are still living with the person who sponsored your marriage-based green card.

I couldn't see what the health card offered that the other documents did not. However. when you're in the interview, you're playing by their rules. I wanted to get approved, so I wasn't going to kick up a fuss.

What office or state were you in?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What office or state were you in?

His state is posted under his name: Washington, the state, not the capitol.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:21 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize if I came across as rude or offensive.
Its just that I am a little worried. I got my GC thru wife. in 2005 and am now applying for Naturalization.

Ian:
I definitely am planning to take my marriage certificate and my son's birth certificate. This is my first marriage and so is my wife's. So , no prior marriage or children for either of us

Thanks for the tip about waiting for the oath letter.
However, I am not sure what you mean when you say "...if you pass"
I wasn't aware that someone can fail in the interview (unless of course you don't answer the questions (6 out of 10)).
Yes, there are a number of ways you can not pass.

For example, if the AO decides that you have not provided enough evidence for the marriage, if they have information that leads them to believe you have lied on your N-400, if they believe you are lying under oath in the interview itself, if you decline to agree to the conditions, such as bearing arms (your views may have changed since submitting the N-400).

Until you attend the naturalisation ceremony, take the oath, and are granted your certificate of naturalization, you are not a citizen, and there are things could go wrong to delay or even permanently debar from you from naturalizing, such as murdering somebody. And of course, if you die, it's game over...