Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Strange situation. need some advice

Wikiposts

Strange situation. need some advice

Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

jimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nice
Default Strange situation. need some advice

Hi
I have a strange situation. Need some advice
I have a question. I have interview on dec 9.
I am collecting all the information to prove the legality of the marriage.
We have Cablevision phone and cable. My wife is "Authorized User" (whatever the hell that means)
on the account.
I called cablevision last week and they added her name to the account. I now have a printout of
the website account showing both our names on it.
Same story with ConEd.

My question is since I am going to show only last bill(cablevision and coned) to the immigration
officer,is that wise?
If he asked me to show previous bills, should I explain him that I had to add my wife's name to the
bill recently and she wasn't on it in the past?

I do have other docs like joint mortgage, life insurance, joint dental and health insurance,joint bank accounts,wife's voter registration on the joint address,
joint All State car insurance, benefiary on 401K etc. and so on.

Any advice?
Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strange situation. need some advice

Originally Posted by jimgreener
Hi
I have a strange situation. Need some advice
I have a question. I have interview on dec 9.
We have Cablevision phone and cable. My wife is "Authorized User" (whatever the hell that means)
on the account.
I called cablevision last week and they added her name to the account. I now have a printout of
the website account showing both our names on it.
Same story with ConEd.

My question is since I am going to show only last bill(cablevision and coned) to the immigration
officer,is that wise?
If he asked me to show previous bills, should I explain him that I had to add my wife's name to the
bill recently and she wasn't on it in the past?

I do have other docs like joint mortgage, life insurance, joint dental and health insurance,joint bank accounts,wife's voter registration on the joint address,
joint All State car insurance, benefiary on 401K etc. and so on.

Any advice?
Thanks
Hi:

Advice about what? Clarification would be nice. All I can gather is that you have a fair amount of documentation, but no joint bills. I am totally unable to figure out what is "strange" which prompts your need for advice.

Good luck on the 9th.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I think you mean something other than legality.

In addition to your current goody bag, try some pics of you together (probably anything but xtube uploads) with captions or mail in joint names (junk mail with both names is an added bonus). You seem to be worrying about nothing unless you've missed something out of your post.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What is the strange situation? That you only have on utility bill with your wife's name on? Nothing strange about that since only added her now.

We didn't have joint names on cablevision (didn't even include that in our evidence) and didn't have DH name on the ConEd bill or the Verizon bill. Still were approved.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You have a lot of other evidence which in my layman's opinion is even better than showing 1 recent joint utility bill. I'm pretty sure once you show the officer the other joint items, she won't even want to see the 1 utility bill.

Let us know how it goes on the 9th.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

jimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nicejimgreener is just really nice

My question is , rather asking for an advice, is should I show the one joint bill or not show it at all. If I do and officer asks me to show previous bills then what will I say. Should I tell him/her that I have added my wife to the bill recently.
I know this is all silly.We have been married for last nine years (in 1999) when my wife was not even US citizen. She had GC and got her citizenship in 2002.
I got mine in 2005 and we have a 5 yr old.(who I was planning not to take to the interview)
I still have to prove to the officer that I have a legitimate marriage. It is silly but they don't care.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since you said you "got mine in 2005" I'm assuming you got your PR status/green card. Therefore, I would conclude that you are going for naturalization.

I would leave out the utility bills. You didn't need them for AOS and you won't need them for the N-400 test/interview. What you have is sufficient. Bring a copy of the one bill with you to ease your mind. You can always explain if required.

The most important documents are not listed in your post:

TAX RETURNS
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete
Yes, I did receive my GC in 2005.
I do have joint tax returns (IRS transcripts) for last 3 years.

What is your opinion about bringing 5 yr old to the interview....He is a handful and I am afraid he may get too bored..or hyper

My interview time is 11am but I am sure it won't happen before 2pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have interview on dec 9.
An interview for what? You never say!

Your marriage certificate is all you need to prove the "legality of the marriage". If you haven't got that... well then, you really are in trouble.

Ian
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

You guys really jump to conclusions. You think I would be stupid to have a marriage without certificate?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys really jump to conclusions. You think I would be stupid to have a marriage without certificate?
I, for one, assumed you meant an AOS interview for your green card, because of the type of evidence you listed. It was more the type and amount of evidence one brings to an AOS interview, rather than a naturalization interview. I should have looked at your past history before posting.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:26 am
Concierge

Thanks Rete
Yes, I did receive my GC in 2005.
I do have joint tax returns (IRS transcripts) for last 3 years.

What is your opinion about bringing 5 yr old to the interview....He is a handful and I am afraid he may get too bored..or hyper

My interview time is 11am but I am sure it won't happen before 2pm.

DO NOT BRING HIM. He will not be allowed into the interview. It will only be you and the examiner. No One Else Not Even The Spouse.

Are you using Federal Plaza? If so, the interview/test is easy enough. One hint: If you pass and the security checks are clear, then ask if you can wait in the reception area for the letter that gives you your scheduled oath ceremony. We were allowed to do that and it is far better to sit for an hour then wait for sometimes months for the letter to come in the mail.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:28 am
Concierge

Another thing. If you have children by another woman, bring proof your having sent child support on a regular basis. This is very important as it shows good character. Also if you were under 26 at the time you received your GC, did you register with selective service?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:29 am
Concierge

In all fairness to those who posted to your thread, you were not very implicit on what you were interviewing for. I surmised it from reading and re-reading your original post. So go easy since the majority assumed that you were doing AOS and therefore, needed the marriage certificate.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You think I would be stupid to have a marriage without certificate?
I will not jump to any conclusion about how stupid you may or may not be, but you were the one who was trying to "prove the legality of the marriage"... and yet, marriage certificate was not among the items mentioned.

It turns out, however, that you were trying to prove the "ongoing viability" of your marriage and the "commingling of funds". Had you said that originally, no one would have had to jump to anything!

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.