Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Still no sign of my green card!

Still no sign of my green card!

Old Feb 12th 2019, 1:32 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Still no sign of my green card!

I entered the US through Dublin on an IR1 visa at the beginning of October 2018, my social security card came through within days of arriving, but I still haven't received my green card.

I have contacted USCIS as I am now out of the 120 day timeline they state as the normal turnaround, and got an automated reply stating I should hear back from them by Feb 23 2019.

I really want to renew my UK passport, but I am reluctant to send my old passport to the UK without my green card in hand!

Is anyone else out there in the same situation, or am I just unlucky on this one?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 1:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still no sign of my green card!

I thought I had heard that the processing of green cards was currently measured in months, not weeks, and in any case the recent month-long shutdown of the federal government almost certainly added directly to the time taken to process your green card.

If you need to renew your passport you will, based on current reports, only be without it for about ten days if you use a courier to send the application and receive the return of your new passport, so personally, I would go ahead and do it as you could be waiting for another couple of months for your green card.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 1:51 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you need to renew your passport you will, based on current reports, only be without it for about ten days if you use a courier to send the application and receive the return of your new passport, so personally, I would go ahead and do it as you could be waiting for another couple of months for your green card.
Thanks, I'm not necessarily worried about being without the passport as much as it getting lost in transit, I've had a few things go astray in the mail (USPS and UPS) since I've been here. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Thanks, I'm not necessarily worried about being without the passport as much as it getting lost in transit, I've had a few things go astray in the mail (USPS and UPS) ….
I agree, I am also skeptical about the mail service, especially the handoff between national carriers, as that is where things seem to "disappear" some times, but I am fairly confident with the likes of UPS and FedEx and their end-to-end tracking. I certainly like that I can follow the package's progress on line, and I may be being naïve, but that gives me a lot of comfort.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2019 at 2:30 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do send off your passport, be sure to make a photocopy of your IR-1 visa page that states that it serves as an I-551 for 1 year, as that is your only proof of PR status at this time.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:39 pm
Go Braves!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you do send off your passport, be sure to make a photocopy of your IR-1 visa page that states that it serves as an I-551 for 1 year, as that is your only proof of PR status at this time.

Rene
I will do, thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:58 pm

Rene
I will do, thanks.
If you're worried, you could pay a few bucks to a notary to give you a notarized copy, which if it ever came to a crunch would carry a lot more credibility than a copy that you made on your home printer-scanner.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 6:04 pm
Go Braves!

I will look into that thanks
Old Feb 14th 2019, 10:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I will look into that thanks
It would just need the magic words: This document is a true copy of the original which has been shown to me.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
It would just need the magic words: This document is a true copy of the original which has been shown to me.
Which only have any value if added by a lawyer or notary, and stamped accordingly.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

And the notary needs to see the original and photocopy, both.

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
And the notary needs to see the original and photocopy, both. …..
Which is what Rete said.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 4:52 pm
Go Braves!

Thank you
Old Mar 27th 2019, 3:43 pm
Go Braves!

Three service requests later and I have finally received my green card, yay!!
Old Mar 27th 2019, 3:59 pm

Three service requests later and I have finally received my green card, yay!!
Woo hoo! Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.