Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Steps after entering US on K1..

Steps after entering US on K1..

Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice
Default Re: Steps after entering US on K1..

Thanks for the good info guys!

I have acouple questions about the AP form though (I-131)...

Firstly when it asks ''Class Of Admission'' is that K1 Visa?

And part 7 has us pretty confused, it first states that i've to write on a seperate piece of paper why i qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and then on question 1 asks 'How many trips do you intend to use this document - One Trip - More Than One Trip

How long is this AP valid for? I mean if it's valid for a good few years then yeah i reckon i'll hopefully be going back to visit family and friends in Scotland once a year so should i write more than one trip?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamie1875
Yes.

And part 7 has us pretty confused, it first states that i've to write on a seperate piece of paper why i qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and then on question 1 asks 'How many trips do you intend to use this document - One Trip - More Than One Trip
Yes, that is what it says.

How long is this AP valid for?
1 year.

I mean if it's valid for a good few years then yeah i reckon i'll hopefully be going back to visit family and friends in Scotland once a year so should i write more than one trip?
If you want to be able to make multiple trips per year, choose "more than one trip".

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

AP is only relevant for the period you are waiting to get permanant residency (AOS). In normal circumstances, for K1, that is less than one year.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Yes, that is what it says.

1 year.

If you want to be able to make multiple trips per year, choose "more than one trip".

Rene
It would most likely be only one trip, but then again you never know, maybe it could be two. Does it hurt anything at all writing 'more than one trip'? I mean it doesn't make them suspicious or anything does it?

Also in the instructions part of the form it says - ''If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment of status.

What are they meaning here?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ok we're kinda panicking regarding the Adjustment Of Status form when it asks for my medical immunization supplement. I'm going through all my stuff in my folder looking for anything medical related and i can't find anything.

I'm thinking to myself, 'when i handed over my brown envelope in Dallas, did they ask for my medical reports there and thats where i handed them over and why i no longer have anything'?

Can anyone shed any light as to what they sent medical-wise with their AOS form?

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ignore the above, i found it all, panic over haha
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It would most likely be only one trip, but then again you never know, maybe it could be two. Does it hurt anything at all writing 'more than one trip'? I mean it doesn't make them suspicious or anything does it?

Also in the instructions part of the form it says - ''If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment of status.

What are they meaning here?
You can tick the box for multiple entries, it's fine. AP is awarded to you simply by the fact that you are submitting an I-485. Include a photopy of your signed I-485 with the AP application as proof of how you qualify to file an I-131.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The class of admission is K1 - Fiancé or fiancée of a U.S. citizen entering solely to conclude a valid marriage contract.
I have acouple questions about the AP form though (I-131)...

You qualify for advance parole because you are in the USA pending adjustment of status. How many trips you might make while waiting for your application to adjust to be decided is a separate issue, it makes no difference whether you select one trip or more than one trip.
Regards, JEff
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the good info guys!

I just wrote 'Co-filing with form I-485.' I also said multiple trips.

Had my green card in hand (took less than three months) faster than AP and EAD card (arrived the day after GC ).

Here's what I sent in
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761951

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Holliver; Oct 18th 2012 at 4:10 am.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Holliver
I just wrote 'Co-filing with form I-485.' I also said multiple trips.

Had my green card in hand (took less than three months) faster than AP and EAD card (arrived the day after GC ).

Here's what I sent in
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761951

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your help, the thread link you posted was alot of help!

When you say you just wrote 'Co-filing with form I-485' was that on a separate piece of paper yeah?

And did you end up sending all pages of your tax returns or just the 1049 and W2? We just have the later pages printed out but we can easily go and print off all the pages.

Looks like we have everything else, just need to write out 3 pay cheque's now. And make sure we send everything to the right places. As far as i see the AP/AOS go to the Chicago lockbox, and because we're in California we send the EAD to the Phoenix lockbox
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:32 am

And did you end up sending all pages of your tax returns or just the 1049 and W2? We just have the later pages printed out but we can easily go and print off all the pages.
When submitting a photocopy of tax returns (for the I-864), you need ALL pages of the ENTIRE tax return. Not just the 1040 and W2.

Official IRS tax transcripts are available for free by contacting IRS. They are a condensed version of the multi-page tax return.

And make sure we send everything to the right places. As far as i see the AP/AOS go to the Chicago lockbox, and because we're in California we send the EAD to the Phoenix lockbox
NO. Everything goes in ONE package to the address on the I-485.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:35 am

Looks like we have everything else, just need to write out 3 pay cheque's now.
You are adjusting status based on a K-1 entry. Why do you think you need 3 checks? There is only one fee for AOS, it's the fee for I-485. There is a fee for biometrics, but that can be written as part of the check for the I-485.

You only need ONE check.

If you are thinking of the fees for the I-131 and I-765, then you need to re-read the instructions. When I-131 and I-765 are filed in conjunction with an I-485 for AOS, there is no separate fee.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your help, the thread link you posted was alot of help!

When you say you just wrote 'Co-filing with form I-485' was that on a separate piece of paper yeah?
Yes, that was my continuation sheet that I listed on my previous post.

I put my name and alien number in the header. And wrote exactly this

Continuation Sheet for I-131

Part 7.

Filing concurrently with I-485 Adjustment of Status. I have not accrued any days of unlawful presence.

signature
Holliver (printed)
date

Yes, I copied the whole tax return.

Last edited by Holliver; Oct 18th 2012 at 10:47 am.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Rene, thank you SO much! Due to my careless reading i was about to make a big mistake there and write 3 cheques and send two to Chicago and one to Phoenix. Phew!

Wondering if you can help me with this question, how long is the green card valid for?
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rene, thank you SO much! Due to my careless reading i was about to make a big mistake there and write 3 cheques and send two to Chicago and one to Phoenix. Phew!

Wondering if you can help me with this question, how long is the green card valid for?
As far as I understand it, it is 2 years initially. 6 months before it expires you must apply for removal of conditions (ROC) and should then be issued a 10 year one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.