Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Steppke, and anyone else going through AOS via SF Office

Steppke, and anyone else going through AOS via SF Office

Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Steppke, and anyone else going through AOS via SF Office

Hello,

My husband and I are stressing over the AOS forms that we mailed on Feb 26, 2003. He came on a K1 visa and we were married in February.

Could you please give us a list of what documents/forms you submitted so that we can compare it to what we sent. Also, how long does it usually take them to cash the checks and send us the notice of receipt or appointment letters.

Thank you in advance.

Kat and Chris
Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

bao-long is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Steppke, and anyone else going through AOS via SF Office

Originally posted by katnap8
Also, how long does it usually take them to cash the checks and send us the notice of receipt or appointment letters.
We have sent our package on Feb 4th and still have not received anything back. Also, the checks have not been cashed yet.

I will try to post the list of what we mailed later on.

Anh & Bao-Long
Old Mar 10th 2003, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My husband and I are stressing over the AOS forms that we mailed on Feb 26, 2003. He came on a K1 visa and we were married in February.

Could you please give us a list of what documents/forms you submitted so that we can compare it to what we sent. Also, how long does it usually take them to cash the checks and send us the notice of receipt or appointment letters.

Thank you in advance.

Kat and Chris
Hi, I'm happy to give you our details I realise now how exceptionally lucky we've been to go through the system so quickly. Please excuse me if I get the form numbers wrong, you'll know which ones I mean. I bought a folder with several pockets, labelled each one by form and included all forms, documents copies, checks, photos etc in a separate pocket together with a list detailing what was included for each pocket. This meant often including multiples of the same documents but each form has all the relevant information and the INS had no copying to do.

Basically we filed for my AOS from H1-B status

I-485 and included copies of all my old H1-B paperwork, copies of passport, I-94, birth certificate, marriage certificate, ADIT photos etc,
My husbands petition for me I-130, again, marriage certificate, copies of his and my birth certificates, passports, copies of previous divorce papers, in my case with official translations, ADIT photos etc.
The Biographic forms, one for each of us including a resume for me,
Affidavit of support with 3 years of tax returns, letters from employers, copy of the deed to the house, mortgage statement showing outstanding balance and realtor valuation showing property value, bank statements showing liquid assets. I think I also included more copies of birth, marriage certificates and visas, passports etc. We took a copy of our 2002 tax return to the interview together with an new affidavit showing the latest earnings and yes, they did ask for it
Application for Advance Parole with booked flight itinerary, letter confirming date of a family memorial service and letters confirming business meeting in London plus letter from me stating the reason for the trip. More ADIT photos and check, copy of my passport, I-94 and visa.
Medical in sealed brown envelope from INS doctor
Application for EAD with ADIT photos, signature card, copies once again of personal docs

As you have a K1 situation you probably don't need anywhere near all these forms but, I'd still err on the side of too much rather than too little.

I think that's it, anyway I probably sent far more than they needed including extra ADIT photos which they returned. Anyway it worked. They cashed the checks within a week and we had our receipt of application, interview dates etc. I collect my passport stamp tomorrow!

Hope this helps
Old Mar 11th 2003, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi,

Thank you both for your responses. Bao Long, we hope to see your list of documents and timeline soon. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Kat and Chris

Last edited by katnap8; Mar 11th 2003 at 1:23 am.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

bao-long is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank you both for your responses. Bao Long, we hope to see your list of documents and timeline soon. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Kat and Chris
Here is what I have sent. What about your list, Kat?

Bao-Long

· I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status with a $186 check and a $50 check for fingerprinting
· G-325A Biographic Information for myself
· Certified copy of my birth certificate with certified translation
· Copy of my I-94
· Copy of my current passport + all previous US visa documents
· I-864 Affidavit Support notarized
· Copy of my wife's passport
· Copy of my wife's naturalization certificate
· My wife's employment letter
· Copy of my wife's pay stubs for the months of Jan. 2003. Dec. 2002 and Nov. 2002
· Transcript for my wife's three most recent Federal tax returns (2001, 200 and 1999) from the IRS
· Copy of my wife's tax returns for the years 2001, 2000 and 1999
· I-693 Medical Examination and Vaccination forms in a sealed envelope
· 2 photos of myself in an envelope

· I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with a $96 check
· G-325A Biographic Information for my wife
· Copy of my wife's passport
· Copy of my wife's naturalization certificate
· Certified copy of our license and certificate of marriage
· A photo of each of us in an envelope

· I-131 Application for Travel Document with a $80 check
· Letter explaining purpose of travel
· Letter from my employer + other travel justification documents

· I-765 Application for Employment Authorization with a $88 check
· Copy of I-94
Old Mar 12th 2003, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Bao Long. We're applying after a K1 so our applications may be different. The following is what we sent

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status with a $186 check and a $50 check for fingerprinting
G-325A Biographic Information
Copy of birth certificate
Copy of marriage certificate
Copy of my I-94 (front and back)
Copy of visa page
Copy of K1 visa approval
Copy of vaccination record received at K1 interview
2 photos

I-864 Affidavit of Support notarized (I'm the US citizen)
Letter of employment from my employer
copy of paycheck stub
Copy of my tax returns for the years 2002, 2001 and 2000

I-765 Form
Copy of I-94 (front and back)
2 more photos
copy of I-485 (submitted simultaneously)

We didn't submit anything for the medical because my husband came via the K1 and it says that if you came via this way and have had a medical within the last year you do not need a new one. However, we are unsure as to the vaccination supplement. We hope we didn't need it, cause we didn't send it.

I submitted it with all three checks attached to the front, a cover letter listing the documents enclosed, also with a letter noting the changes, i.e. maiden name to married name, address change from K1 to AOS.

As of today we have yet to hear anything. It's been about 2 weeks.

Please keep us posted. Thank you in advance.

Don't you wish you lived in an area where they still let you walk in for AOS and get EAD and AP on site. Gone are those days in SF (

Take care,

Kat and Chris (U.S and U.K citizens respectively)