Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Staying on in the US after divorce?

Staying on in the US after divorce?

Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:07 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Staying on in the US after divorce?

I'm not in that boat (yet), but I wondered if anyone has been in the same position? I'd move to a different state if I stayed in the US, but going home is pretty tempting. I'd be able to live cheaply here and hold on to most of my stuff, but home is... well, home. What's a Brit to do?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying on in the US after divorce?

Are you a U.S. citizen?

Or, if you have a green card, is it a conditional (2 year) or 10 year one?

Or is your status something else?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:32 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I'm not in that boat (yet), but I wondered if anyone has been in the same position? I'd move to a different state if I stayed in the US, but going home is pretty tempting. I'd be able to live cheaply here and hold on to most of my stuff, but home is... well, home. What's a Brit to do?
Hello.
That is what I did. I don't know of your circumstances but basically I came here with my husband for a 2 year appointment, my job sponsored me for my green card and my whole family were going to join me later. At the end of the 2 years our marriage had fallen apart. I stayed here. He went back. I thought about going home, but at that time I did not want to be in the same country as him..so I stayed!!!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it looks like its not working out for you, I guess, as with so many other people and the USA its a case of deciding what means more to you, home or stuff.

Are you happy or was the states about more your marriage than anything else? If it was the latter, then maybe picking the right time to come home is the best thing to do should you end up in that boat.

All the best, for a very difficult call.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:08 pm

I did the K1 visa thing, so the location had little to do with it at the time. One of the unlikely sources of homesickness has been listening to anglophiles and their vacation stories. I realise now that there are so many places in the UK that I haven't seen yet. I'm not a USC (I can't bring myself to do it), so it would be a one way trip this time. Every time we've left the UK after a vacation it feels wrong - is that normal?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I did the K1 visa thing, so the location had little to do with it at the time. One of the unlikely sources of homesickness has been listening to anglophiles and their vacation stories. I realise now that there are so many places in the UK that I haven't seen yet. I'm not a USC (I can't bring myself to do it), so it would be a one way trip this time. Every time we've left the UK after a vacation it feels wrong - is that normal?
I think normal is what is right for you everyone is different.
When I get on that big bird back here I am a happy camper can't wait to get out of the UK,but I am going home next week and looking forward to it, for a couple of days anyway.

I stayed here after my divorce it was hard at 1st but it was the best discission I ever made, I love the US.... I also moved state.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

It's really about where you feel at home. I'm guessing you feel some connection to the US and/or like it here or you wouldn't be considering staying on if it came to divorce. I'm in a similar boat and have grown very fond of the US since moving here. I do miss home but on the days where I'm being honest with myself, when I'm not feeling down, when I'm actually thinking clearly, I don't feel any pull back to England. My friends and family are there and I do miss the culture but there is no sense of loss anymore. Financially I think I'd struggle as much in the UK as I would in the US, should I divorce.

I would look into the US citizenship. You're not giving anything up and it would protect you if you should move back to the UK and discover that it's not for you anymore.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:22 pm

I dont really feel any connection to the US. I feel like I should try another state while I'm here, but when I imagine that, I think I'd just miss home still.
I didnt travel around much in the UK but I'd have a chance to go where the jobs I want are.
I'm just not sure if I'd be running away by jumping on the plane. I'm in my 30's now. I think its time to make a decision and stick with it (assuming I am going to end up single).
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

For me there would be no if's or but's I'd be out of here.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

chorlton where ya been

good to see you back. only you know the answer to your question. for me there is only one home and the UK wins hands down
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:37 pm

You wouldnt belive the amoutn of forums I've joined and forgotten about. This is one of the ones I shouldn't have neglected
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:35 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

I dont really feel any connection to the US. I feel like I should try another state while I'm here, but when I imagine that, I think I'd just miss home still.
I didnt travel around much in the UK but I'd have a chance to go where the jobs I want are.
I'm just not sure if I'd be running away by jumping on the plane. I'm in my 30's now. I think its time to make a decision and stick with it (assuming I am going to end up single).
If I were in your shoes right now, I would go back home. At the end of the day there is nothing like being 'home' and you don't want to do what I did and stay here till you are in your 50's then find it harder and harder to leave. Getting a job, a place to live etc is harder as time goes by, not easier.

It's not 'running away' it's the perfect opportunity to start a new life where you want in England....
Trust me, you won't want to be sitting here in 20 years saying "I wish I had gone home when I had the chance".
I thought I was taking the easy way out by staying here, but I just made it more complicated for myself at the end of the day.

Hope it all works out for you.

Sue
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Can you afford to take some time out and travel around the US? You might find somewhere you would like to live and if you don't then at least you can go back to the UK and feel you have seen some of the US.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:44 pm

Looks like i forgot to answer I've been able to travel a bit with my job. I think the only things i'd miss about the US would be the elk, moose and bear (maybe not the bear) and the cheap houses!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like i forgot to answer I've been able to travel a bit with my job. I think the only things i'd miss about the US would be the elk, moose and bear (maybe not the bear) and the cheap houses!
tasty with a dollop of ketchup on the side