Reload this Page >

SSN : Why is it so hard? (k1)

Wikiposts

SSN : Why is it so hard? (k1)

Old May 20th 2004, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Darkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN : Why is it so hard? (k1)

I've been in the US for almost 60 days now and I can't get a social security number issued.

My local SSA office is very helpful and checks their system everyday, but say that the INS has to give them information in the system before they can issue my number.

Anyone else ever run into this problem, and if so, is there anyway to check on my case or what is the holdup (My file is in philadelphia I believe).

The 90 day EAD was pretty much a waste, as I can't do anything without that stupid number.

I just need the number so I can get a drivers license, bank account, etc ...
Old May 20th 2004, 5:17 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN : Why is it so hard? (k1)

Originally posted by Darkie
You can get a bank account without SSN.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:08 am
David9287

I've been in the US for almost 60 days now and I can't get a social security number issued.

My local SSA office is very helpful and checks their system everyday, but say that the INS has to give them information in the system before they can issue my number.

Anyone else ever run into this problem, and if so, is there anyway to check on my case or what is the holdup (My file is in philadelphia I believe).

The 90 day EAD was pretty much a waste, as I can't do anything without that stupid number.

Hello,
Interesting, some get it in 7 days, some in 90 days as was our case. Only thing I can share is that we filed for her SSN on 2-17-04, opened a joint savings account and a personal checking account for my wife on 2-19-04 and finally on 5-14-04 she received her SSN. We informed the bank of her SSN and her account and our joint acc was updated.

We filed her AOS/EAD on 4-2-04 and had her BIO/Fingerprints done.......... TODAY.....lol. We didn't even waste our time with the 90 day EAD. The girls' not ready to give up her days by the pool and her walks in the park just yet..... can't say I blame her. As far a AP...... she isn't even thinking about it, well after she gets her CPR.... if and when....lol.

Keep the faith, the SSA is just waiting on the DHS to verify the I-94, Passport info and the POE docs, then the SSA should send the SSN.

david M

Old May 20th 2004, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by sibsie
You can get a bank account without SSN.
I think that depends on some banks cos I went into one and they wouldnt let me open an account without an SSN card. Fortunately I got mine within 4 weeks of being here (waited 2 weeks to apply). Then managed to change it into my new married name once we had our wedding.

I think it's silly that you need an SSN card.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:41 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whistlestop01
I think that depends on some banks cos I went into one and they wouldnt let me open an account without an SSN card.
Some banks have adopted the Patriot Act as an internal policy requiring a SSN. However the Pat Act doesn't state that. Often if you speak to someone higher up the food chain in the bank, they'll let you open one without.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My husband got his within 10 working days of him applying for it. He entered the US on a K1. He entered on 4/16/04, applied for it on 4/19/04 and got it in the mail on 5/3/04. I know this doesn't help you any, but is there any way for you to find out what the hold up is?

Has your SSA office sent off for written/manual verification to USCIS? The lady at our office said that after 2 weeks of checking the SAVE database for my husbands' name and not finding it, that they send off for written verification from USCIS. She said that if they had to do this, it would only take about 2 additional weeks, so that it should only take about 4-6 weeks max for him to receive it.
Old May 21st 2004, 2:12 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

The bank manager let me have an account without a SSN as long as I gave them a UK address as 'security'.
Old May 21st 2004, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I bank at a credit union, and they flat out refused to let me add Scott without a SSN. Luckily, we got his fairly quickly so it wasn't an issue for us.
Old May 21st 2004, 3:11 am
Eric S.

I think banks require an SSN to open an account, because they need a way to
report the interest to the IRS. If you don't have an SSN, I would they
would accept an ITIN. I have no experience with this, though. It's just a
guess. See here for info on how to get an ITIN:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96287,00.html

- Eric S.

"whistlestop01" <member18683@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by sibsie
    > > You can get a bank
    > account without SSN.
    > I think that depends on some banks cos I
    > went into one and they wouldnt let me open an account without an SSN
    > card. Fortunately I got mine within 4 weeks of being here (waited 2
    > weeks to apply). Then managed to change it into my new married name
    > once we had our wedding.
    > I think it's silly that you need an SSN card.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 21st 2004, 5:05 am
David9287

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric S.
I think banks require an SSN to open an account, because they need a way to report the interest to the IRS. If you don't have an SSN, I would they would accept an ITIN. I have no experience with this, though. It's just a guess.

Hi,
Yup that's what our banks asked for also, the good old Taxpayers Identification Number..... of course the reporting of interest to the IRS is nessesary. Once we got our/her accounts opened (by the way we did show/tell the bank that we had applied recently applied for her SSN) they told us to give them the number once she received it. Done! It really just depends on the institution and their policy.

davidM

Old May 21st 2004, 5:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darkie,
We applied for my husband's SSN just before we got married. He's Iranian, and unfortunately the SS rep said they MUST do a manual verification. We applied April 29 and as of yet have not received any notice in the mail from SSA. The rep said once the verification is done, they will mail us a letter saying that he's applied for a number, and he can use that letter to show potential employers that a SSN is on the way. We applied 3 weeks ago, and the rep said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to hear something.

I tried to call the SSA 800 number, but they said they can't verify anything and to check again with the local office. I called the local office, and they said my husband has to come in person to do any inquiries.

However, we did obtain a state-issued ID for him. We also added him to my bank account, and opened a separate checking account for him at Well Fargo w/o a SSN. I also added him to my health and dental insurance, and listed him as the beneficiary on my life insurance, all w/o a SSN.

You are not alone in your waiting! Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 22nd 2004, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally posted by sibsie
Some banks have adopted the Patriot Act as an internal policy requiring a SSN. However the Pat Act doesn't state that. Often if you speak to someone higher up the food chain in the bank, they'll let you open one without.
Ahh this is very useful to know as I have been told by my fiancees bank that I cannot even get my name put onto her account without a SSN. Thankyou.
Old May 22nd 2004, 3:36 am
Michael D. Young

MrDub wrote:

> Originally posted by sibsie
    > > Some banks have adopted the
    > Patriot Act as an internal policy requiring a SSN. However the Pat Act
    > doesn't state that. Often if you speak to someone higher up the food
    > chain in the bank, they'll let you open one without.
    > Ahh this
    > is very useful to know as I have been told by my fiancees bank that I
    > cannot even get my name put onto her account without a SSN. Thankyou.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

http://www.ustreas.gov/press/release...rts/js7432.doc

FACT SHEET:
Final Regulations Implementing Customer Identity Verification Requirements
under Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act

Collecting information:
As part of a Customer Identification Program (CIP), financial institutions
will be required to develop procedures to collect relevant identifying
information including a customer's name, address, date of birth, and a
taxpayer identification number – for individuals, this will likely be a
Social Security number. Foreign nationals without a U.S. taxpayer
identification number could provide a similar government-issued
identification number, such as a passport number.

Verifying identity:
A CIP is also required to include procedures to verify the identity of
customers opening accounts. Most financial institutions will use
traditional documentation such as a driver's license or passport. However,
the final rule recognizes that in some instances institutions cannot
readily verify identity through more traditional means, and allows them the
flexibility to utilize alternate methods to effectively verify the identity
of customers.

http://www.treasury.gov/press/releas...rts/js7432.doc

FACT SHEET:
Results of the Notice of Inquiry on Final Regulations Implementing Customer
Identity Verification Requirements under Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act

Foreign issued identification documents:

-- Rather than dictating which forms of identification documents financial
institutions may accept, the final rule employs a risk-based approach that
allows financial institutions flexibility, within certain parameters, to
determine which forms of identification they will accept and under what
circumstances.

Old May 25th 2004, 10:38 am
Just Joined

dog&pony is an unknown quantity at this point

MrDub, Offer them the TIN. We had problems also but we got told to file a W8. I filed a W9 instead, using the TIN. Took several weeks but was approved.

Also try more than one bank, but offer the TIN upfront
Old May 25th 2004, 2:53 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dog&pony
MrDub, Offer them the TIN. We had problems also but we got told to file a W8. I filed a W9 instead, using the TIN. Took several weeks but was approved.

Also try more than one bank, but offer the TIN upfront
I had no problems at all opening a bank account using my TTIN & the bank staff bent over backwards to be helpful showing this new arrival how friendly they were. If I was you I would give other banks a try until you find one that is more accomodating & worthy of your custom.
Regards
Shepslady

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.