SSN vs. EAD

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

stephon113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN vs. EAD

My wife has her SSN and we're trying to apply for AOS on this coming Monday. Does my wife need to apply for EAD in order to work? Can someone explain to me?
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 12:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN vs. EAD

Originally posted by stephon113
My wife has her SSN and we're trying to apply for AOS on this coming Monday. Does my wife need to apply for EAD in order to work? Can someone explain to me?
I would assume that since you have a SSN you can work.

If she is here on a K visa she does have the automatic entitlement to work, but whereas a K1 can go directly and get a SSN, K3's have to get an EAD before they can be issued with an SSN.

Hope that helps

CB
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:40 pm
Amk

Yes......you need to apply for work authorization for your wife if she wants
to work!

"CaliforniaBride" <member12142@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by stephon113
    > > My wife has her SSN and
    > we're trying to apply for AOS on this coming Monday. Does my wife need
    > to apply for EAD in order to work? Can someone explain to me?
    > I would assume that since you have a SSN you can work.
    > If she is
    > here on a K visa she does have the automatic entitlement to work, but
    > whereas a K1 can go directly and get a SSN, K3's have to get an EAD
    > before they can be issued with an SSN.
    > Hope that helps
    > CB
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CB,

You assume incorrectly.

A person who enters on a K visa needs both an SS card and an EAD to work until such time as they are given Permanent Resident status.

You are correct that a K1 can get their SS card without first having an EAD - as long as they apply for it within 76 days of entry.

Regars, JEff

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
I would assume that since you have a SSN you can work.

If she is here on a K visa she does have the automatic entitlement to work, but whereas a K1 can go directly and get a SSN, K3's have to get an EAD before they can be issued with an SSN.

Hope that helps

CB