ssn on a K-1 visa

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

davethered is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ssn on a K-1 visa

Hi there, i have been using this website over the past year to help me with my k-1 visa which was approved and im now in the U.S. so thank you for all the helpful information on here, i couldnt have done it without.

What i really need to know now (and im sure this has been asked before)

I've been in the U.S for 1 week now and was wondering what the process is for getting my SSN/Card? I know on the form (think its the ds-230), i filled in that i would like to be assigned my number.

Can anyone let me know if this will be done automatically or if there is anything else i need to do?

Many Thanks

David
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ssn on a K-1 visa

I know on the form (think its the ds-230), i filled in that i would like to be assigned my number.

Can anyone let me know if this will be done automatically or if there is anything else i need to do?
This is not the case for K-1 visas. The automatic SSN only happens with an Immigrant Visa. So don't wait in the mail for a SS card to come to you automatically.

I've been in the U.S for 1 week now and was wondering what the process is for getting my SSN/Card?
Go to www.ssa.gov, find the application for SSN, fill it out, print it, and take it in person to your local SS office. You'll also need your passport with K-1 visa and I-94.

You do not need to let SS know if you're married yet or not. And if you ARE already married, it's best not to volunteer that information, as many SS workers are misinformed and seem to think this voids your K-1 visa and you are no longer eligible for a SSN. This isn't true, but it's best just to avoid the topic of marriage with them, just in case.

Wait until after your 10th day in the USA to do this, to give your information time to get into the SAVE system which SS uses to verify your status in the USA.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene, Thought that sounded to easy to be true!

So its just the ss-5, my passport and my i-94 i need?

David
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davethered
So its just the ss-5, my passport and my i-94 i need?
Yes. Make sure your passport has the K-1 visa inside (hard to imagine it wouldn't, but just double checking).

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

craig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nicecraig_sp is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. Make sure your passport has the K-1 visa inside (hard to imagine it wouldn't, but just double checking).

Rene
Rene,

Thank you so much for all the help your provide people (myself included) on here! A GREAT help to all! :-) So, thank you.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by craig_sp
Rene,

Thank you so much for all the help your provide people (myself included) on here! A GREAT help to all! :-) So, thank you.
Awww, you're welcome! This site was SO much help to me 8 years ago, I love giving back!

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:59 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You do not need to let SS know if you're married yet or not. And if you ARE already married, it's best not to volunteer that information, as many SS workers are misinformed and seem to think this voids your K-1 visa and you are no longer eligible for a SSN. This isn't true, but it's best just to avoid the topic of marriage with them, just in case.
+1. I had this problem briefly. If it does happen you can probably go back the next day or go to another office if there's another nearby and get it done. I went back a few days later and spoke to the same guy who had totally forgotten he'd told me I couldn't apply a few days earlier.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

On the form for #5, the correct box to tick is "Legal Alien Allowed To Work' for a K1. No, you can't work yet without DHS authorization, but under SSA a K1 falls into that category.

Many people get turned away by SSA workers who aren't well trained or experienced with K1s. Ask for a supervisor if they say you aren't eligible for a SS number.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

thanks guys, great help i really appreciate it

David
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

If you change your name when you get married, go as soon as possible back to the SS office to get a new card.