Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse Name - Urgent Help with this question

Spouse Name - Urgent Help with this question

Old Jul 2nd 2001, 12:31 am
Taft

My wife came into the US on a H4 visa, but she was still using here maiden name. She
got her drivers license and Social secutiy number in the maiden name. We changed the
name on her Indian passort to the married name - we had to do this for some legal
issues regarding property in India.

Now when we file 485 forms in the I-485 form and other forms like Biographic info/
IRS form 9003 we need to quote the soc sec numbers. The forms are going to be filed
in my wife married name, is it alright to quote the same soc sec number in the forms?
Will it cause problems? Soc sec admin wont change name to married one, because her
I-94 shows maiden name.

Please respond quickly, anybody.Thanks in advance

Old Jul 2nd 2001, 3:06 am
SRINIVAS MEDURI

I am having the following questions regarding the change of status from H1 to F1
visa. I had reacived I-20 from the school for MS degree starting Fall 2001 (
August 2001). I am currently in USA on H1 visa( came in Jan 2001to US) and is
valid till Dec 2002.

1.Now if I want to apply for a change of status from H1 to F1 thru the school that
issued the I-20, when should I start the procedure provided that my Fall classes
start from August 7th 2001.

2. When I apply for the change in Status thru school,can I attend the classes in the
school when the change of status process is going on (which the school predicts to
take from anywhere between 3 to 9 months).

3. If I can attend the school in the process of changing the visa Status, I can no
longer work for my employer and will not be having the pay slips. Will that be
legal to stay in H1 status without pay slips, as I will be still on a H1 untill my
change of status is approved?

4. Also if my change of stats is not approved after 6 months or what ever time the
INS takes for the process, will I continue to stay on my previous H1 visa status
or will be out of status? Will I have to leave the country in that circumstances?

Please suggest me in this regard. Thank you for your time.

Regards, Anil

Old Jul 5th 2001, 7:36 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Taft wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It is mandatory to indicate that social security number. It is the only SSN she will
ever have.

Will it cause problems?

Probably not. If if does, you explain.

>