Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse allowed to work once Green card process starts??!!

Wikiposts

Spouse allowed to work once Green card process starts??!!

Old Jun 20th 2002, 3:20 am
Ar_ct

Default Spouse allowed to work once Green card process starts??!!

My spouse is going to start the green card application process with his employer
(he's on H-1B, I'm on an H-4 visa). My question is if it's possible for the spouse of
a green card applicant to start working as soon as the application process starts?
Isn't it true that an EAD card is initially submitted and with it I could potentially
start working (even go as far as creating my own company) even though the green card
is just in its earliest stages? I would appreciate your feedback for my questions!
Thank you in advance.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 5:20 am
Vsethi

Default Re: Spouse allowed to work once Green card process starts??!!

no.. you need EAD card first in order to work in U.S. Your current social security
card says "Not valid for work". When you get the EAD card, you take it to the SS
office and they will issue you a new SS card (which takes 2-3 weeks), which says that
you can work "with INS Authorization" (meaning you always have to bring the EAD card
along with your new SS card to the job interviews).

--
vsethi

vsethi's Profile: http://www.nri.biz/forum/member.php?...info&userid=78 View
this thread: http://www.nri.biz/forum/showthread.php?threadid=44588

Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Ar_ct

Thanks for your response! How soon can I get the EAD card after filing for the
green card?

"vsethi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
newsA56AAC9AF3C98D5.993912648FC4E726.F9635E16F12 [email protected]...
    >
    > no.. you need EAD card first in order to work in U.S. Your current social security
    > card says "Not valid for work". When you get the EAD card, you take it to the SS
    > office and they will issue you a new SS card (which takes 2-3 weeks), which says
    > that you can work "with INS Authorization" (meaning you always have to bring the
    > EAD card along with your new SS card to the job interviews).
    >
    >
    > --
    > vsethi

> vsethi's Profile:
http://www.nri.biz/forum/member.php?...info&userid=78
    > View this thread: http://www.nri.biz/forum/showthread.php?threadid=44588

Old Jun 20th 2002, 2:20 pm
Nogi

at present there is no way an H4B can work as she is not entitled to get an SSN.Only
after an approved I-485 that everythnig can be done.assuming you have filed
EAD(I-765) for her, this will arrived from 30-90 days after filing of I-485.How long
will the approval of this? depends on the LC that the H1b was filed and the service
center this was filed.

"ar_ct" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] odigy.com>...
    > My spouse is going to start the green card application process with his employer
    > (he's on H-1B, I'm on an H-4 visa). My question is if it's possible for the spouse
    > of a green card applicant to start working as soon as the application process
    > starts? Isn't it true that an EAD card is initially submitted and with it I could
    > potentially start working (even go as far as creating my own company) even though
    > the green card is just in its earliest stages? I would appreciate your feedback for
    > my questions! Thank you in advance.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 4:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for a wait....getting to the I-485 (when you could file for EAD) could take anything from approx 18 months to 3 years!

We started the Green Card process (employer based) 3 and 1/2 years ago and have only just reached the I-485 stage.

Sue
Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 pm
Paul Helpdesk

EAD process starts in the last phase of the Green Card process. You file it together
with I-485. The time it takes depends on where you live and where it is filed. You
could check out the processing times at:

http://www.visapro.com/Texas-Service-Center.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk