Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse allowed to work once Green Card process starts??!!

Spouse allowed to work once Green Card process starts??!!

Old Jun 20th 2002, 3:20 am
Ar_ct

Default Spouse allowed to work once Green Card process starts??!!

My spouse is going to start the green card application process with his employer
(he's on H-1B, I'm on an H-4 visa). My question is if it's possible for the spouse of
a green card applicant to start working as soon as the application process starts?
Isn't it true that an EAD card is initially submitted and with it I could potentially
start working (even go as far as creating my own company) even though the green card
is just in its earliest stages? I would appreciate your feedback for my questions!
Thank you in advance.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 5:20 am
Joachim Feise

Default Re: Spouse allowed to work once Green Card process starts??!!

ar_ct wrote:
    > My spouse is going to start the green card application process with his employer
    > (he's on H-1B, I'm on an H-4 visa). My question is if it's possible for the
    > spouse of a green card applicant to start working as soon as the application
    > process starts?

No. You can only file for an EAD when the I-485 is filed.

> Isn't it true that an EAD card is initially submitted and with it I could
    > potentially start working (even go as far as creating my own company) even though
    > the green card is just in its earliest stages? I would appreciate your feedback for
    > my questions!

See above. The I-485 is the last stage of the GC process.