Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Spousal visa and 19 y.o.son

Spousal visa and 19 y.o.son

Old Mar 21st 2001, 12:55 pm
Andcody16

My fiancee(Russian) and I may marry abroad (and abandon our fiancee visa petition)
and file I-130 spousal visa directly in Moscow. How is her 19 y.o. son handled by
Immigration? Can a petition be filed on his behalf to bring him to the U.S., or will
this take years?

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 12:54 am
mj

>
    >
    >
    >

After you are married, and your wife has moved to the US and gained CPR status, your
wife may file an I-130 for him. It will take years. I would suggest you do not change
your plans to obtain a K1/K2 if you care about this young man, as this is the ONLY
way he will be able to accompany your fiancee thru the immigration. process. Even so,
you will have to really get on the ball to file for AOS so that he can be adjusted by
age 21. Where will you be living in the US?

Mike

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 2:55 am
paulgani

Interesting difference between K-1 and I-130.

With a K-1, you can sponsor children under 21 years old with a K-2.

With a I-130, you can only sponsor children under 21 years old IF you married before
the child turned 18.

Since you are not yet married, and her son is 19, my suggestion is, DON'T marry her
first - go the K-1/K-2 route!

Paulgani

>
    >
y.o.
    >
bring him
    >