Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship Problems (Urgent)

Sponsorship Problems (Urgent)

Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:25 pm

AmberNickVN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship Problems (Urgent)

Hi there, how are y'all?

Yet again, we've run into some problems with sponsorship.

Long story short, the family who were meant to sponsor me didn't file enough last time (2005) to meet the 125% poverty line rule.

What are the other avenues with sponsorship exactly? I've read something to do with assets before but I never looked into it fully as I never thought we'd have to resort to it.

This couldn't have come at a worse time as I have my medical booked for the 1st November and will be looking to book the interview soon.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship Problems (Urgent)

Originally Posted by AmberNickVN
Hi there, how are y'all?

Yet again, we've run into some problems with sponsorship.

Long story short, the family who were meant to sponsor me didn't file enough last time (2005) to meet the 125% poverty line rule.

What are the other avenues with sponsorship exactly? I've read something to do with assets before but I never looked into it fully as I never thought we'd have to resort to it.

This couldn't have come at a worse time as I have my medical booked for the 1st November and will be looking to book the interview soon.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick.
Nick, remind us: K-3 visa or CR-1/Immigrant Visa?
It makes a difference to the answer.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Nick, remind us: K-3 visa or CR-1/Immigrant Visa?
It makes a difference to the answer.

K3
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:49 pm

I just read up on it on the uscis.gov site....

*you may add the cash value of your assets such as money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125 percent of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).

Example for a household size of 4:

========================================
125 percent of 2005 poverty guideline
$24,187

sponsor's income
$19,500

Difference
$4,687

Multiply by 5

Minimum Required Cash Value of Assets
$23,435
=======================================

I'm assuming that they can use their house to make up the $2000 they miss sponsoring me by since they own it outright.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

K3
Hi Nick,

As a K-3, the form used is the I-134. London might let you self-sponsor if you have enough cash/assets. Email London and tell them how much you have, and see if they approve it.

Other than that, the only way is to get another joint sponsor.

So what you're saying is the current joint sponsor no longer makes 125% of the poverty level? It's based on their current income, not their past taxes.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Nick,

As a K-3, the form used is the I-134. London might let you self-sponsor if you have enough cash/assets. Email London and tell them how much you have, and see if they approve it.

Other than that, the only way is to get another joint sponsor.

So what you're saying is the current joint sponsor no longer makes 125% of the poverty level? It's based on their current income, not their past taxes.

Rene

Well they're on target to make well above the 125% poverty level when they go to file for 2006 so I dunno if that counts for anything?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read up on it on the uscis.gov site....

*you may add the cash value of your assets such as money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125 percent of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).

Example for a household size of 4:

========================================
125 percent of 2005 poverty guideline
$24,187

sponsor's income
$19,500

Difference
$4,687

Multiply by 5

Minimum Required Cash Value of Assets
$23,435
=======================================

I'm assuming that they can use their house to make up the $2000 they miss sponsoring me by since they own it outright.
Yes, the joint sponsor can also use assets to make up the difference.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:54 pm

Well they're on target to make well above the 125% poverty level when they go to file for 2006 so I dunno if that counts for anything?
What really counts is their current income, today. Turn that into a yearly income, and that's what is used to meet the requirement.

If I currently make $10 an hour, multiply $10 x 2080 to get a yearly full time salary. That equals $20,800. That's what I would put as my earnings on the I-134.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but that information is for the I-864. You'll be using the (less stringent) I-134.
In either case, assets may be used.

As Rene says, current income counts most. Their past tax returns are history.

At any rate, don't panic. It looks like you've got it all covered one way or another.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:10 pm

Yes, but that information is for the I-864. You'll be using the (less stringent) I-134.
In either case, assets may be used.

As Rene says, current income counts most. Their past tax returns are history.

At any rate, don't panic. It looks like you've got it all covered one way or another.

Thanks for the help y'all!! Just need to get people's asses moving and send me the docs now!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:18 pm

Thanks for the help y'all!! Just need to get people's asses moving and send me the docs now!
If they are going to use their real estate, have them include a copy of thier most recent mortgage statement + property tax bill, or other evidence of value and debt.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If they are going to use their real estate, have them include a copy of thier most recent mortgage statement + property tax bill, or other evidence of value and debt.

and don't forget to have them include their proof of citizenship or US residency
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

As a practical matter, what really really counts is where the money to live is going to come from. If the petitioner doesn't have any and the 3rd-party co-sponsor is marginal this is not a fun-looking situation.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What really counts is their current income, today.
Rene