South Africa to USA

Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

CB3nn3tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: South Africa to USA

I Have a quick question. My friend that is in the USA now, married to a USC, i asked him a few question on what he did. As things are standing now, we going to do the K1 visa (where my fiancee is busy with I-129F paperwork, etc.).

But now my friend tells me i have to have work as soon as i get to the USA, to proof that i have a income to make a living there? It doesn't make sense, coz I have to be in SA for my K1 interview, Medical and police clearance before i can go over? Should I apply for any work now in the States? Which is also not really possible, coz i have to give in resume, and be there for an interview???

He's friend went over there on a H2A visa, did harvesting, and through that he extended his visa and changed his status?

I'm so confused now, gosh!!!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my the misadvice that friends give out.

Your fiancee needs to complete an affidavit of support for you for the K-1 and after your marriage she needs, not you, to complete a second affidavit of support for your adjustment of status. You do not have to be working or prove any financial support for yourself. The onus is on her.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CB3nn3tt
But now my friend tells me i have to have work as soon as i get to the USA, to proof that i have a income to make a living there?
I suggest you get a new friend... because the one you have is an idiot.

Should I apply for any work now in the States?
You can if you want but, realistically, no one is going to hire you until such time as you're in the US and able to work.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Your friend is wrong. Going to the US as a K1 you are not required to work either right away or ever. In fact, you will not be eligible to be employed until after you have arrive and have applied for and have obrtained authorization from the government to be employed, which will take several months.

What you will need is someone who will promise to support you, and your then-wife will need to sign a contract with the US government that she will support you once you are in the USA, have married, and are applying to immigrate.

I've omitted some details, but this is sufficient to dispell the notion that you must start working right away.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by CB3nn3tt
But now my friend tells me i have to have work as soon as i get to the USA, to proof that i have a income to make a living there?