Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Son has green card but is at university in England

Son has green card but is at university in England

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son has green card but is at university in England

One does not apply for a green card. If your son has a green card, how did he get it? By getting an immigrant visa and traveling to the USA, therby becoming a US Permanent Resident?

I think that we need to be careful with our use of language, as it applies to the law which may be different from common usage. If your son has been granted Permanent Resident status then the US government considers that he has become a permanent resident of the USA - he has 'moved to the USA', in common terms, and is now temporarily back in the UK to complete his studies. He will remain a Permanent Resident of the USA until he either formally surrenders the status (I think there's a form for that), becomes a citizen, or abandons the status by his actions.

He is presently in the process of the 3rd method by having stayed outside of the USA for more than a year, but if he wants to he probably stands a good chance of retaining his status by taking appropriate actions. A US immigration attorney who is experienced with abandonment of status issues may be able to help him 'save the day' - if he wishes to do so and gets moving on it without further delay.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Middlemore
Just to clarify -
son is studying in the UK, he's doing software engineering, and managed to land a place on a highly regarded course so he stayed on in the UK in order to complete said course after i moved to the US. He did not find any course of similar caliber in the US, and it seemed prudent to stay.

He will not finish until either 2014 or 2015, (depending on where he does his post grad year), and will not move to the US until then.

We were advised to apply for his green card before aged 21, so we applied as a family following my marriage to a USC. We were told that if we wait until he finishes his studies, aged 23/24, he cannot be regarded as family and would not be eligible for a GC. So we applied, hoping that he could retain his GC while studying, but did not fully understand the implications of NOT travelling during vacations.

I guess we were hoping he could 'defer' residency without being perceived as having abandoned it. With hindsight we of course now know that is not possible, but we did not truly understand that then.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Rene, when you put it like that, it doesn't look good, i agree.

But I'm not sure what he could have done differently, given that he was part way thru a UK degree course when the GC finally came through.
The lawyer had told us the GC would be finished almost a year earlier, so he had planned to be living in the US for at least a few months before returning to the UK for uni.
There were various delays, none of which were due to us, they were mostly bureaucratic delays, although at one stage the lawyer actually forgot to file.

Son did not want to delay his studies, and did not have his GC when he was due to start uni, and in any case there was no equivalent course open to him in the US.
Like I say, it doesn't look great but i don't know what he could have done differently.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Jeff, that's a helpful overview of the situation.
We certainly won't use the same lawyer as before, but we're hoping that we can salvage his residency somehow.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Language problem again. In terms of US immigration law:
- you didn't "visit[ed] the US to complete the process", you moved to the USA and completed the process.
- his place of permanent residence is currently in Illinois, without regard to how long he's inhabited the home. He moved there, and then returned to the UK temporarily to finish his studies.

One does not have to be in the USA for any specified period of time in order to become a Permanent Resident, One simply has to enter the USA using an immigrant visa and one is instantly a Permanent Resident. Nor does one have to remain in the USA for any specified period of time in order to retain Permanent Resident status. One can leave the USA and be gone for an extended time as long as they intend to return to the the USA when their temporary stay abroad is completed.

One does need to take actions that demonstrate their intent. Your son needs to start demonstrating his true intent since by being out of the USA for more than a year he has, by law, demonstrated that he does not intend to return.

Regards, JEff

No, he hasn't, that's part of the problem.
GC was a long time being processed, and he had already begun at uni when it finally was completed. We visited the US to complete the process, then he went back to uni a couple of weeks later.

We don't have a home in the UK anymore, he's living at uni during termtime, and regards our home in IL as his home, even though he has never really LIVED there.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 23rd 2013 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Language problem again. In terms of US immigration law:
- you didn't "visit[ed] the US to complete the process", you moved to the USA and completed the process.
- his place of permanent residence is currently in Illinois, without regard to how long he's inhabited the home. He moved there, and then returned to the UK temporarily to finish his studies.

One does not have to be in the USA for any specified period of time in order to become a Permanent Resident, One simply has to enter the USA using an immigrant visa and one is instantly a Permanent Resident. Nor does one have to remain in the USA for any specified period of time in order to retain Permanent Resident status. One can leave the USA and be gone for an extended time as long as they intend to return to the the USA when their temporary stay abroad is completed.

One does need to take actions that demonstrate their intent. Your son needs to start demonstrating his true intent since by being out of the USA for more than a year he has, by law, demonstrated that he does not intend to return.

Regards, JEff
Thank you, that again clarifies things.
I hope this can be resolved, it was never an intent to abandon, more a lack of understanding of the implications of being out of the US so long. I guess what I'm saying is that we/he did not appreciate the conditions attached to residency, we just thought at the time that the GC was an indefinite thing, and failed to realise the obligations it carried.
The only time he could have traveled was this past Christmas, and as i said in a earlier post, a teen with a new girlfriend is rarely sensible . . . . .
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Like I say, it doesn't look great but i don't know what he could have done differently.
It's water under the bridge now, but not staying out of the US for over a year is certainly one thing he could have fairly easily done, to judge by your original post. Or else getting a re-entry permit. The trouble is that the GC isn't valid as an entry document after a year out of the country so, if he shows up at the border now, he doesn't have a valid entry document, and they are supposed to ask him some questions about that. (There have been stories where people have claimed to have done this and just been waved through, though, for what that's worth.)

He's probably not doomed but you need to talk to a lawyer (in fact, as has been specified above, a lawyer with experience of abandonment law) as soon as you can to find the least inconvenient way in which to proceed.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

But I'm not sure what he could have done differently, given that he was part way thru a UK degree course when the GC finally came through.The lawyer had told us the GC would be finished almost a year earlier, so he had planned to be living in the US for at least a few months before returning to the UK for uni.
There were various delays, none of which were due to us, they were mostly bureaucratic delays, although at one stage the lawyer actually forgot to file.
I don't think I'm following your story very well, I apologize. What do you mean by "when the GC finally came through"? If your son entered the USA using an Immigrant Visa, then his GC came through at the same time he entered the USA. His immigrant visa should have been endorsed with an I-551 notation, which serves as proof of his US PR status for 1 year. The actual plastic GC would come later in the mail, yes, but his US PR status is activated from Day 1 in the USA. Did he get his GC by any other means than the way I mention here?

What do you mean by "the lawyer told us the GC would be finished almost a year earlier"? Were you guys all in the USA first, and then your son did an Adjustment of Status? Or when you said GC in that sentence, did you mean Immigrant Visa?

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Either way, you've been given sound advice on the situation as it is today. Your son is walking on a very thin line at the moment. He really needs to make a decision, and take action on it quickly.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the above, I read back to the beginning of this thread and it seems you were all in the USA, doing an Adjustment of Status.

Your son should not postpone returning to the USA much longer. As a green card holder and US PR, he has the right to be allowed into the USA so that he can go before an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination on whether he abandoned his PR status or not.

If he gets any pressure from the POE agent to sign a form and turn in his existing green card, he should NOT do that. He should gently but firmly ask to be admitted (or paroled?) in so that he can go before an Immigration Judge.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
... does this hold true if she is out of the US herself at the time we move permanently to the UK?
I suggest it does hold true. Her status as a PR is not dependent on whether or not you are in the US.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Never mind the above, I read back to the beginning of this thread and it seems you were all in the USA, doing an Adjustment of Status.

Your son should not postpone returning to the USA much longer. As a green card holder and US PR, he has the right to be allowed into the USA so that he can go before an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination on whether he abandoned his PR status or not.

If he gets any pressure from the POE agent to sign a form and turn in his existing green card, he should NOT do that. He should gently but firmly ask to be admitted (or paroled?) in so that he can go before an Immigration Judge.

Rene
Sorry, I wasn't clear.
We began the GC process in 2009, and the lawyer said it would be complete end of 2010, no problem. in fact it was December 2011 before it was finally complete, so son was at uni by then, and had no opportunity to spend any time in the US before his course started, as we were under the impression we could not travel during the GC processing.
Hope that makes it clearer, and sorry for the confusion!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... son was at uni by then, and had no opportunity to spend any time in the US before his course started
Rene said you were adjusting status - which implies you were all in the US at the time. Was your son not with you in the US when you adjusted status?

... we were under the impression we could not travel during the GC processing.
Your lawyer was an idiot.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:15 pm

We began the GC process in 2009, and the lawyer said it would be complete end of 2010, no problem. in fact it was December 2011 before it was finally complete, so son was at uni by then, and had no opportunity to spend any time in the US before his course started, as we were under the impression we could not travel during the GC processing.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Rene said you were adjusting status - which implies you were all in the US at the time. Was your son not with you in the US when you adjusted status?
This is interesting. Normally one receives an AP document so they can leave the USA and then return to the USA without abandoning the AOS process. I've never heard of someone leaving the USA after AOS was filed, but before receiving AP, and then staying outside the USA until after the GC is issued. I guess the lack of AP doesn't matter in a case like that? *wondering*

You could have traveled outside the USA and then returned to the USA safely, without abandoning the AOS process, if you had AP in hand.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm getting confused about the sequence of events.

We visited the US to complete the process, then he went back to uni a couple of weeks later
makes it sound like your son had his I-485 done via consular processing. (It would be useful to know exactly how it was handled. God forbid he filed for AOS then left the country without advance parole - unless he was maintaining a valid H or L visa.)

The case your son has to make is that, since becoming an LPR, he has considered the US his permanent home and has never intended otherwise or established a permanent residence back in the UK; he is just temporarily overseas completing his studies. (I don't suppose he signed up for selective service, did he?)
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by zerlesen
makes it sound like your son had his I-485 done via consular processing.
I-485 can't be done via consular processing. It's an adjustment of status for someone who is already inside the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I-485 can't be done via consular processing. It's an adjustment of status for someone who is already inside the USA.
D'oh. Sorry, I meant the I-824 that can be filed with the principal's I-485 on behalf of a spouse/kid outside the US, then the spouse/kid applies for an IV at the consulate. Basically, I'm curious about the manner in which the kid got his GC in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.