Some Advice Please!

Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:58 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Advice Please!

Originally Posted by ControlFreak
What I need to know is when he files his taxes this year, should he declare the money he has made as a free-lance musician? He hasn't in the past as he's never earned enough through it. And it's difficult to prove when and how much he's been payed.
CF
Keep in mind that he will owe self-employment tax (for soc sec) of 14% strait off the top, plus whatever other regular tax.

Free-lance musician also equals a sole proprietor who is obligated to keep financial records. I would recommend starting off this year with a seperate checking account for his business income and using that account for - and ONLY for - depositing income & paying expenses from his free-lance business, and have him write himself checks out of that account and into his personal account to pay himself. Also, consider an accounting program such as QuickBooks.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:13 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Well looks like you got it. Just not from me.

<insert hyper's evil smiley>

LOL LOL LOL!
Old Feb 6th 2005, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Keep in mind that he will owe self-employment tax (for soc sec) of 14% strait off the top, plus whatever other regular tax.

Free-lance musician also equals a sole proprietor who is obligated to keep financial records. I would recommend starting off this year with a seperate checking account for his business income and using that account for - and ONLY for - depositing income & paying expenses from his free-lance business, and have him write himself checks out of that account and into his personal account to pay himself. Also, consider an accounting program such as QuickBooks.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Ok, thanks.That definately sounds like something worth doing.

Well looks like you got it. Just not from me.
So why post in this thread? Or maybe you're just bored and trying to up your post count.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:20 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

So why post in this thread? Or maybe you're just bored and trying to up your post count.
Reality Check for Control Freak! This is a public forum. A place where facts, information, misinformation, opinion and such like are freely shared. You might calm down a little when you realise this. If you don't appreciate the public comment then I suggest you have a private consultation with an attorney. You could of course mark your post - Only answer if you have sympathy for me - but I suspect that this would be a red flag to some of the board members and you would end up with more to read through than my posts.

Face it, you deceived, lied and stole money. And now you show up here asking for advice on how to prevent your actions turning around and biting you on the arse. And asking for support too!

Sorry, no can do. I have an opinion that I am entitled to share whether you object to it or not. But if your desperate for advice then my advice is, don't tell immigration, see if their smart enough to work it out. After all you were smarter than the taxman you might beat immigration too.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

Reality Check for Control Freak! This is a public forum. A place where facts, information, misinformation, opinion and such like are freely shared. You might calm down a little when you realise this. If you don't appreciate the public comment then I suggest you have a private consultation with an attorney. You could of course mark your post - Only answer if you have sympathy for me - but I suspect that this would be a red flag to some of the board members and you would end up with more to read through than my posts.
First of all, I don't think I'm the one that needs to calm down. And when did I ever ask for sympathy?

Face it, you deceived, lied and stole money. And now you show up here asking for advice on how to prevent your actions turning around and biting you on the arse. And asking for support too!
Uh, no. This year's taxes haven't been filed yet.

Sorry, no can do. I have an opinion that I am entitled to share whether you object to it or not. But if your desperate for advice then my advice is, don't tell immigration, see if their smart enough to work it out. After all you were smarter than the taxman you might beat immigration too.
Yes, I agree that you are entitled to an opinion.
And no, I don't want to 'beat' immigration or the taxman. I just want to get things straight in my head, and if that means posting questions that might upset someone, then I'm sorry.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:05 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree that you are entitled to an opinion.
And no, I don't want to 'beat' immigration or the taxman. I just want to get things straight in my head, and if that means posting questions that might upset someone, then I'm sorry.
Likewise, my responses may upset. For which I do not apologise.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Likewise, my responses may upset. For which I do not apologise.
Well, that clears that up.

*looks around for a thicker skin to wear*
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:39 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Well, that clears that up.

*looks around for a thicker skin to wear*
Think that deserves some karma.