Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Slightly OT - Fate Intervenes!

Slightly OT - Fate Intervenes!

Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slightly OT - Fate Intervenes!

Wow...fate really intervenes when necessary! Here's what happened:

5 days ago, Sadegh went back to Iran to get his original documents (birth certificate, etc.) and asked me to wait until he gets back to Turkey to ship out Packet 3 (I was planning to send it UPS directly to Ankara from the US). We debated several times whether I should send in P3 now (I don't expect to get an interview date for a month) or wait until he gets back. He was adamant about waiting - he was worried about getting an interview date before he returns. I finally gave in and said OK, I won't ship out P3. As of yet, he's still in Iran.

So last night I ran photocopies of P3 and got the final package together. This morning, with a fresh mind, I was going through it one more time. I had left the instructions at home, so I went to Ankara's website and downloaded them. To my amazement, the instructions had changed! Now there's a paragraph that states that ALL documents must be sent via UPS *FROM WITHIN TURKEY*! If any documents are sent via UPS from the United States, they will send them back via regular mail which takes several weeks (I know from experience it takes a month!).

Can you imagine if Sadegh hadn't stood his ground on not shipping out P3? Or if I hadn't been forced to read the new instructions on the internet? I would have shipped P3 out from the US a few days ago...and then had them shipped right back to me snail mail, adding a month to this already ungodly long process!! Seems Sadegh's brother's failure to deliver his originals in person, thus forcing Sadegh to make the trip to Iran and making me wait on shipping - all was a blessing in disguise.

I'm just wondering about all the Iranians out there going through Ankara who don't have a contact in Turkey.....what the heck are they going to do? Make a special trip to Turkey just to drop off a UPS package?? Iran doesn't use UPS for shipping...only DHL, and Ankara won't accept a package via any other courier but UPS. They sure make it difficult sometimes!

Just had to share this with you guys....since nothing else is happening on my case....yet! :-)

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:39 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly OT - Fate Intervenes!

Hi Rene,
Just another example of things happening for a reason....glad you have it (sort of!) sorted now. You two have waited so long, I hope it's soon for you. Keep the faith, and have confidence. You can do this.

~SG
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:00 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Wow, this just boggled my mind. Sadegh made a trip to Iran jus to get his birth certificate?! Talk about hardship! And the thing about only accepting UPS from within Turkey is confounding! I think my skull would have exploded if I were in your place. On the other hand, all these hardships really were a blessing in disguise.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
Wow, this just boggled my mind. Sadegh made a trip to Iran jus to get his birth certificate?! Talk about hardship! And the thing about only accepting UPS from within Turkey is confounding! I think my skull would have exploded if I were in your place. On the other hand, all these hardships really were a blessing in disguise.
Rene,

It is all a matter of fate. Heba is right though. This can be really hard for people trying to do all of this by themselves. Even with a support system in place it isn't a cake walk.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Leslie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:12 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

wholly doodle.. well good on ya for checking one more time..

see it does pay to recheck things a zillion times

and we all thought we were crazy...

weeeeeeeeeee

hope the next part goes smoothly