Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

short term health insurance

short term health insurance

Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:19 am
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road
Default short term health insurance

Has anyone applied for short term health insurance? If so what company did you use or could you give us the web site you found? My fiance will be covered under my health plan as soon as I get into work the monday after our wedding. That is about a month time difference from arriving to marriage. What do you recommend??

Thanks
Cindy
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:29 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: short term health insurance

Originally posted by JohnCindy
Has anyone applied for short term health insurance? If so what company did you use or could you give us the web site you found? My fiance will be covered under my health plan as soon as I get into work the monday after our wedding. That is about a month time difference from arriving to marriage. What do you recommend??

Thanks
Cindy
What we did was get vacation insurance through Norwich Union. As the K1 visa is not an immigration visa you are fine - you are fine anyway because they don't care which address you use to claim from. For a month it will cost him about £50 (maybe a bit more) which is a lot less than trying to sort out something in the US.

Patrick
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:41 am
ScarlettHill

Thanks
Cindy
Hi,

I got a good deal through ebookers. Not the usual travel insurance. I was in the same position, could get on hubby's insurance after a month - but I have 2 kiddies and didn't want to risk problems.

Ebookers (who I booked my flight with) first said you can't get travel insurance when you go on a one-way ticket. They were pretty adamant. But I persisted and got them to check with their insurer and it turned out they were wrong. They got me a deal for, I think it was 30-something quid, not much more anyway, which covered us for one month in the US. We never needed it and got on hubby's insurance before it expired but I think it's well worth having. If you're gonna get sick, chances are at the end of a very stressful wait and with such big changes, that would be the time.

I just hunted through my files and found the actual vouchers so if you want to detail them if they give the 'it can't be done' baloney please go ahead. It might give you arguing power.

I often hear people struggling to get this one-way not-coming-back temporary insurance so here's what they CAN do if they can be bothered. We had 3 vouchers - one for me and one for each of the kids - the details I'm giving you are mine. Hopefully it will help you argue if you have hassle and they say it can't be done or done cheaply.

ebookers.com
Tel: 0870 010 7000

This is word for word what it says:

Booking no: 0831388
Policy no: 0000054279
Policy type: SINGLE TRIP WW INC USA/CAN
Date of Issue: 06/11/02
Commences: 11/12/02
Expires: 10/01/03
No of Passenger: 1 Adults.

Passengers covered on this policy :=
MRS SCARLETT GARRETT Adult.

There were fairly identical separate vouchers for the girls. I've hunted but can't find the bit that details the price but I remember thinking it was dirt cheap. I paid less than 600 quid for the three of us to travel (Continental - it's one of the few that IS cheaper one-way and also does real half price kid fares) AND be insured so it can't have been much.

Anyway, hope it helps. Best of luck.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Tiff is an unknown quantity at this point

I just made this phone call yesterday to my insurance man asking the same thing for when Pimpbot gets here.

Try Blue Cross Blue Shield as they have temporary plans. I was quoted $45 a month with a $500 deductible. I think this was who my company went with when our previous insurance company was court ordered to cease operation and we were all dumped without insurance. With a credit card and a social security number you will be covered as soon as they process the card.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 11:31 am
Welsh Wife

Thanks
Cindy

Thank you Tiff and ScarlettHill. I found inbound immagrant health insurance that is recognised by doctors here in my town. The site for future insurers is www.specialtyrisk.com

Cindy
Old Jun 7th 2003, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about
Default SSN

You don't need to have an SSN to get insurance, as USC's don't even have to use theirs if they have privacy concerns. Generally the blues do have low income, short term options. Go to www.bluecares.com and you can enter your zip code to be linked to the website for your local blue. I would assume that the other major carriers have options too, but the blues are the insurer of last resort and have to take members that other plans don't.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Cindy
Cindy-

We got Stantton a policy with BlueCross/BlueShield. It was month to month and you only needed 30 days notice to cancel the policy.

They even have different levels of fees based on the level of deductible you want.

Kimberly
Old Jun 7th 2003, 9:12 pm
Welsh Wife

Default Re: SSN

Originally posted by Pallyn
You don't need to have an SSN to get insurance, as USC's don't even have to use theirs if they have privacy concerns. Generally the blues do have low income, short term options. Go to www.bluecares.com and you can enter your zip code to be linked to the website for your local blue. I would assume that the other major carriers have options too, but the blues are the insurer of last resort and have to take members that other plans don't.
No Pallyn my soon to be hubby doesn't need it yet because they use my ssn for the policy. Thanks a load for your help.
Cindy