Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Seriously need help with AoS package

Seriously need help with AoS package

Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:41 am
UK/US

Wesa_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Seriously need help with AoS package

Hey guys, finally got to the US and married my beautiful fiancé but now i'm so confused with the AoS package, what I need to send with the I485 if anything?

stressing out and hard to take everything in with a 8month old baby screaming. can anyone PLEASE simplify what I need to send and where? any constructive help will be appreciated. Yes I am an idiot.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously need help with AoS package

Originally Posted by Wesa_uk
Hey guys, finally got to the US and married my beautiful fiancé but now i'm so confused with the AoS package, what I need to send with the I485 if anything?

stressing out and hard to take everything in with a 8month old baby screaming. can anyone PLEASE simplify what I need to send and where? any constructive help will be appreciated. Yes I am an idiot.
You're not an idiot. It's just the stress of it all.

Stay calm, and go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-485. Read the I-485 instructions very carefully (away from the screaming baby), and then come on back with any questions. All the information you need is in the I-485 instructions, but you do need some quiet time to read and digest what needs to be done.

The I-485 is the main application for adjustment of status. There will be some backup forms/applications involved, but it's all spelled out in the I-485 instructions. So get a pad of paper, a pen, and a quiet space....read the instructions, make a list of what you need, then come on back and double check with us.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:52 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

From memory, you need to send:

I-485, I-765, I-864, I-864a (if applicable), g325a, I-131

He needs to send:

I-130, g325a

File them together to the appropriate address on the instruction booklet for I-485.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I-130, g325a
It sounds like the OP entered on a K-1 (i.e., I finally got to the USA and got married). If the OP entered on a K-1, no I-130 is required.

Edit: Just looked at a few of the OP's previous threads. She entered on a K-1.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 21st 2014 at 3:03 am.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
From memory, you need to send:

I-485, I-765, I-864, I-864a (if applicable), g325a, I-131
No. The USC spouse needs to file an I-864 and G325A. The non-USC spouse needs to file I-485, I-765, I-131, and a G325A.

He needs to send:

I-130, g325a
He entered on a K-1 visa. There's no I-130 required.

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. The USC spouse needs to file an I-864 and G325A. The non-USC spouse needs to file I-485, I-765, I-131, and a G325A.
For AOS from a K-1, only the Non-USC fills out a G-325A.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:09 am
UK/US

starting to calm down some now, thank you all for the help, finally starting to see clearly.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:11 am
UK/US

Do me and my wife file the forms together? along with the authorized to work form?

confused with what to send where?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do me and my wife file the forms together? along with the authorized to work form?
You fill out the forms that you're supposed to complete; she fills out the forms that she's supposed to complete. You sign your forms; she signs her forms. Treat each form as a separate application. There may be a duplication of information but that's okay.

Everything gets sent together in one big package to the address specified in the I-485.

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:21 am

Do me and my wife file the forms together?
As Ian said, the USC spouse fills out the I-864. The AOS applicant fills out all the rest.

along with the authorized to work form?
If you want to work while waiting for your AOS to process, then you will need to include form I-765 for Employment Authorization Document, yes.

Keep in mind that there is no extra fee for filing I-131 and I-765 in your case.

Have you read the I-485 instructions yet?? That is your FIRST task....THEN come back with anything you don't understand. The address is clearly spelled out in the I-485 instructions, which you need to read.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:51 am
UK/US

Right, thank I am calm now.

Excellent news on no extra filing fee for the I765 and I131

Got everything together and ready to send off.

Thanks for the help
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:08 am
UK/US

Is the I-131 needed if I have no intention of any trips currently?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not necessary but since it is paid for already in the one fee, no reason not to have it. You might want to take a trip before your green card is authorized or there might be an emergency in your overseas family.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:17 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No it is not necessary but since it is paid for already in the one fee, no reason not to have it. You might want to take a trip before your green card is authorized or there might be an emergency in your overseas family.
+1 to this advice.

I have an L1 visa so can come and go as I please during the AOS process, however, I still applied for AP as you never know what could happen in the future. Plus, it's free if concurrently filled (or later filed with your I-485 receipt).
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:21 am

Got everything together and ready to send off.
Just curious whether you got your vaccinations signed off by the local civil surgeon, or if you are just sending in the proof you received at your medical in the UK?

And you have included the I-864 and supporting evidence for that, right?

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.