Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To send the checklist or not... that is the question

To send the checklist or not... that is the question

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 7:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
-----------------------
You've been advised that Mark won't receive his birth certificate until mid-Feb and if you send in the checklist, you may possibly get an interview date before the bc is received. Then, you'll have another dilemma.

Best to wait until the bc is received then send in the checklist. I'm sure it states that you're to send it in only after all the documents required are in your possession. I don't think the US Embassy would be too thrilled to hear from you to change your interview date if the birth certificate doesn't arrive on time.

My husband and I did DCF at the US Embassy in Ldn in 2001 so I've been through the process.

NC Penguin
I might add that it's a good thing we waited for the bc to arrive before sending in the checklist because there were *four* errors on my longform birth certificate that I got corrected. I had no idea about these until I received the document!

Corrections were made after providing the Register Office with a number of documents and I went in person (I lived in London and was born elsewhere in London) to see that the corrections were made before my eyes.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 9:09 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I just woke up and logged online (I work the night shift, so late afternoon is my "morning"! lol), and I'm amazed by the number of responses this got!!

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to respond. I really do appreciate it.

A clear majority agrees that we should send in the checklist now, even though the BC isn't in hand, and that's sort of how we were leaning. But of course this is one of those things where you get so paranoid that you're going to screw up that you lose sight of the bigger picture -- that is, this is a slow-moving machine, and that means some things aren't as risky as they seem.

Like most of you, I honestly think that it is *extremely* unlikely that he'll get an interview date before mid-February, seeing that others here with similar I-129F approval dates who opened provisional files (we didn't) are just now getting interview dates.

So, Mark and I discussed it, and he's sending the checklist in now. Of course we'll keep you posted on any further developments!

NC Penguin, I also truly appreciate your thoughts. You've given us something to think about, mostly regarding the potential for errors on the certificate. I will have Mark pour over ever inch of it as soon as he gets it.

And Julie, thanks for the heads-up about that service you used to get your certificates. That will be our "last resort" I think. Mark lives about an hour from where he was born (Billericay in Essex), so driving there isn't out of the question. It just depends on whether his schedule will allow it. If it doesn't, then that service is a good alternative.

Thanks again for all your feedback and encouragement!!

~ Jenney