Sealed Envelope

Old May 3rd 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sealed Envelope

Hello,

It's probably nothing but the sealed envelope that the US Embassy sent me has a small tear on the side (you cannot hardly see inside it) where it creases. Will Customs in the US throw a hissy fit about something like this saying it has been tampered with?

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sealed Envelope

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eyes
Hello,

It's probably nothing but the sealed envelope that the US Embassy sent me has a small tear on the side (you cannot hardly see inside it) where it creases. Will Customs in the US throw a hissy fit about something like this saying it has been tampered with?

Thanks
So did mine - wasn't an issue.
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
So did mine - wasn't an issue.
Thanks rpjs. I thought it was safer to check. I didn't want to turn up at Customs and they send me back to the UK because of a tear.
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Will Customs in the US throw a hissy fit about something like this saying it has been tampered with?
Customs won't care one iota... and neither will immigration.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Customs won't care one iota... and neither will immigration.

Ian
Thanks Ian
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Eagle_Eyes,

I notice that you're immigrating to the USA as the spouse of a USC. It would be better to post your questions in the US Marriage Based Visa forum, rather than this General USA forum. You'll get a lot more people going through the same process over there, rather than in here.

Thanks,
Rene
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

As long as it's not big enough to put something in or pull something out you should be fine. I put mine in a large plastic zip-lock style wallet to make sure nothing happened to it! Being A3-sized it was a bit unwieldy to stuff into my carry-on so I wanted some sort of protection for it!

You won't have your envelope by the time you get to customs - it's immigration that want it.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine had all sorts of holes in it too - they probably do it just to freak people out. I kept mine in the plastic courier bag it arrived in until I needed it.
Old May 4th 2012, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

NikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to allNikkiLynn is a name known to all

It is so good to hear all of these responses...My UK hubby received his white envelope this past Monday and it also has a small hole in it. I was a little freaked out as he read the instructions that say you may be returned to your home country if the envelope is tampered with.
I did remember reading similar posts on here before that said not to worry, so... i wonder if my husband would think i'm doing a good job of not worrying?
Old May 4th 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

When I handed mine over she just ripped it open with barely a second glance; I suspect unless there's an absolutely huge tear they aren't going to be that interested.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have the envelope when you go through Customs. You will go through Immigration before getting to Customs, and Immigration will take the envelope from you.

Immigration won't be concerned either, if the opening is as small as your describe.

Regards, JEff

Old May 4th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Eagle_Eyes,

I notice that you're immigrating to the USA as the spouse of a USC. It would be better to post your questions in the US Marriage Based Visa forum, rather than this General USA forum. You'll get a lot more people going through the same process over there, rather than in here.

Thanks,
Rene
Thanks Rene. I'll make a note of that.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I guess the hole in the envelope is intentionally put there to make people worry unneccesarily. It's all fun and games!

And I meant Immigration, not Customs. I always seem to get muddled between the two.