Sealed Brown Envelope

Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Yellow61

Default Sealed Brown Envelope

Just thought in case anyone is interested the mysterious brown envelope is all the
documents that the US Citizen submitted for the K-1 and all of the K-1's physical and
approval from the embassy.

Gerald & Elsa Ours was not sealed so we had to take a peek at it.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sealed Brown Envelope

I hope this is not a wind-up but just in case it isn't, you may have a problem.
The reason it is a SEALED brown envelope is so that when you arrive at the POE the fact that is still sealed is proof that you haven't tampered with the contents.
I await with interest to see what others more knowledgable
than me have to say.
Old Jun 20th 2002, 10:20 am
Mjones

Good work. I don't think anyone *hasn't* wanted to open the Envelope and take a good
look inside. I took the opportunity to include your answer on item 4.5 in the FAQ,
without your permission of course. I never ask permission.
http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm#4.5 Mike

"yellow61" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just thought in case anyone is interested the mysterious brown envelope is all the
    > documents that the US Citizen submitted for the K-1 and all of the K-1's physical
    > and approval from the embassy.
    >
    > Gerald & Elsa Ours was not sealed so we had to take a peek at it.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 5:20 pm
Ranjini

<<The reason it is a SEALED brown envelope is so that when you
    > arrive at the POE the fact that is still sealed is proof that you haven't tampered
    > with the contents>>

This is true. I would take it back to the consulate and have them seal it. I wouldn't
want any problems at this end, if I were you. Ranjini

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I hope this is not a wind-up but just in case it isn't, you may have a problem. The
    > reason it is a SEALED brown envelope is so that when you arrive at the POE the fact
    > that is still sealed is proof that you haven't tampered with the contents. I await
    > with interest to see what others more knowledgable than me have to say.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 21st 2002, 3:21 am
L D Jones

yellow61 wrote:
    >
    > Just thought in case anyone is interested the mysterious brown envelope is all the
    > documents that the US Citizen submitted for the K-1 and all of the K-1's physical
    > and approval from the embassy.
    >
    > Gerald & Elsa Ours was not sealed so we had to take a peek at it.

Ours (I-130 visa DCF in the UK) was sealed but the corner of the envelope had a cut
out for the very large staple that was used to staple the visa itself to the rest of
the papers inside. By flipping through the pages it was obvious that the documents
inside were simply all the forms and tax returns etc we had given to the consular
staff. I've read (but cannot remember where) that the consulates do not keep any
information on file regarding the visas they issue via DCF so it's no surprise they
make the immigrant carry all of it to the US.

Old Jun 21st 2002, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance's (k1) brown envelope was sealed but also has a corner cut out of it, but there was no staple. We peeked through the papers too and have it in a safe place until he uses it this Sept. I am not sure if this is common practice at some consulates but it definately discourages trying to open the sealed envelope to see inside....