Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

RFE from NSC - birth certificate (K1)

RFE from NSC - birth certificate (K1)

Old Apr 11th 2002, 11:40 pm
Kristin

Default RFE from NSC - birth certificate (K1)

Well, we didn't have the smooth sailing we were hoping to with this whole K-1
process, but a friend pointed out that everyone probably has a glitch sooner or
later, and maybe this will be our only one. I thought I would post the RFE and see if
this is the experience of others and maybe save someone else in the same situation
this problem.

According to the letter, the RFE was sent because:

"You have failed to establish that you are a U.S. citizen. Therefore, you may submit
one of the following items to substantiate your claim as a citizen and therefore your
right to the benefits sought.

1. Furnish your birth certificate which has been registered with the proper civil
authorities
2. Furnish your US passport.
3. Furnish a legible copy of your Naturalization Certificate.

Certificate must be issued by a state entity, not county."

My birth certificate was issued by the LaGrange County, Indiana health department,
not the state of Indiana. It is certified, and I made and submitted with the K-1 a
VERY good copy of that birth certificate that clearly shows the official, embossed
seal. I did not send my original birth certificate. I am assuming that the key to
my RFE is the last sentence about the certificate being from the "state entity,
not county."

The Indiana state goverment's vital records website and phone system strongly
encourages people to get their official, certified copies of their birth certificates
from the county they were born in. I did so, and have used it numerous times,
including to get a driver's license and cross the border in Detroit. I don't have a
passport - I just figured I'd get one once I marry and change my name. Also, with all
the other fees, etc. we have to fork out for the K-1 process, I figured I would save
a little money. My fiance is in Canada, and we only need a birth certificate and a
photo ID to cross the border.

So I have a question - did I just miss something in the instructions to the I-129F
about only having STATE issued birth certificates? I guess I just assumed the county
health department was part of the state government. It is in Michigan. Has anyone
else had this problem?

I have already ordered TWO copies of my the STATE ISSUED certificate, and will be
applying for my passport tomorrow. We'll see which comes first - passports are
supposedly taking six weeks to issue, per the State Department website. No estimate
was made by the State of Indiana about my birth certificate.

Despite this minor setback, I am completely indebted to the advice and experience
shared on this NG and the websites (K-1 FAQ, Kamya and Doc Steen, among others) that
made it possible for me and my fiance to navigate this whole process. Thanks!
Kristin, really glad her wedding isn't until November 30, 2002

Old Apr 12th 2002, 9:10 am
Kate

Default Re: RFE from NSC - birth certificate (K1)

i received an RFE from NCS for my birth certificate also... i gave them the
"hospital" birth certificate with my footprints...but i had to go to the local court
house and get the official "state" birth certificate hope that helps......

"Kristin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, we didn't have the smooth sailing we were hoping to with this whole K-1
    > process, but a friend pointed out that everyone probably has a glitch sooner or
    > later, and maybe this will be our only one. I thought I would post the RFE and see
    > if this is the experience of others and maybe save someone else in the same
    > situation this problem.
    >
    > According to the letter, the RFE was sent because:
    >
    > "You have failed to establish that you are a U.S. citizen. Therefore, you may
    > submit one of the following items to substantiate your claim as a citizen and
    > therefore your right to the benefits sought.
    >
    > 1. Furnish your birth certificate which has been registered with the proper civil
    > authorities
    > 2. Furnish your US passport.
    > 3. Furnish a legible copy of your Naturalization Certificate.
    >
    > Certificate must be issued by a state entity, not county."
    >
    > My birth certificate was issued by the LaGrange County, Indiana health department,
    > not the state of Indiana. It is certified, and I made and submitted with the K-1 a
    > VERY good copy of that birth certificate that clearly shows the official, embossed
    > seal. I did not send my original birth certificate. I am assuming that the key to
    > my RFE is the last sentence about the certificate being from the "state entity, not
    > county."
    >
    > The Indiana state goverment's vital records website and phone system strongly
    > encourages people to get their official, certified copies of their birth
    > certificates from the county they were born in. I did so, and have used it numerous
    > times, including to get a driver's license and cross the border in Detroit. I don't
    > have a passport - I just figured I'd get one once I marry and change my name. Also,
    > with all the other fees, etc. we have to fork out for the K-1 process, I figured I
    > would save a little money. My fiance is in Canada, and we only need a birth
    > certificate and a photo ID to cross the border.
    >
    > So I have a question - did I just miss something in the instructions to the I-129F
    > about only having STATE issued birth certificates? I guess I just assumed the
    > county health department was part of the state government. It is in Michigan. Has
    > anyone else had this problem?
    >
    > I have already ordered TWO copies of my the STATE ISSUED certificate, and will be
    > applying for my passport tomorrow. We'll see which comes first - passports are
    > supposedly taking six weeks to issue, per the State Department website. No estimate
    > was made by the State of Indiana about my birth certificate.
    >
    > Despite this minor setback, I am completely indebted to the advice and experience
    > shared on this NG and the websites (K-1 FAQ, Kamya and Doc Steen, among others)
    > that made it possible for me and my fiance to navigate this whole process. Thanks!
    > Kristin, really glad her wedding isn't until November 30, 2002

Old Apr 12th 2002, 11:20 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I have a question on this. I just looked at my original BC and at the top it states the city I was born in & the name of the Hospital. Below that it states the city & state that I was born in.

On the seal it states- Minnesota Coprorate Seal

On the back it states my paren'ts names & where they was born & also has my mom's thumb prints on it as well.

What I wanna know is it states Minnesota on my BC so will this be ok or do I have to get a different one to send in?

God I hope not cause there have been enough delays with my situation from me gettin the petition in. I dont want any more. Grrrrr LOL
Old Apr 13th 2002, 1:28 am
Petey's Playmate

I just came acorss a certified original copy of my BC & on this one it states place of birth- the city, county and state. It also states the states my parent were born in, there age and at the bottom it states: State of Minnesota county of, District court and the person who certified this- clerk from the District Court. At the very bottom again it states the city and state and is signed by the clerk who certified it.

So what I can't understand is this "state" issue of a BC. I only know of the 2 forms of BC I have in front of me. Unless the certified copy counts as a "state" issue of BC, don't know.

I can't believe that by sending in a photocopy of your original BC that was issued to your parents after you was born is not sufficient enough. What more proof can you get then that. That has everything on to show your US citizen. At least mine does anyway.

So I am sending in copies of the 2 BC's I have & if that is not proof enough I give up.
Old Apr 13th 2002, 3:10 am
Mrtravel

PEACHSTER wrote:
    >
    > Ok I have a question on this. I just looked at my original BC and at the top it
    > states the city I was born in & the name of the Hospital. Below that it states the
    > city & state that I was born in.

Is this the hospital certificate or one you got from the state dept of whatever
they call it??

Old Apr 13th 2002, 4:07 am
Petey's Playmate

The one with my foot prints on is from the Hospital & the certified one I would imangine is from the state I live in. I could be wrong on that one that's why I wanna know what is the state form of a BC cause I am so lost here.
Old Apr 13th 2002, 7:10 am
Rick

If you have a passport you should photocopy all pages of it and submit those as proof
along with a statement declaring the copies to be unaltered copies of the original
document and stating that the original is available for production.

PEACHSTER <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just came acorss a certified original copy of my BC & on this one it states
    > place of birth- the city, county and state. It also states the states my parent
    > were born in, there age and at the bottom it states: State of Minnesota county of,
    > District court and the person who certified this- clerk from the District Court.
    > At the very bottom again it states the city and state and is signed by the clerk
    > who certified it.
    >
    > So what I can't understand is this "state" issue of a BC. I only know of the 2
    > forms of BC I have in front of me. Unless the certified copy counts as a "state"
    > issue of BC, don't know.
    >
    > I can't believe that by sending in a photocopy of your original BC that was issued
    > to your parents after you was born is not sufficient enough. What more proof can
    > you get then that. That has everything on to show your US citizen. At least mine
    > does anyway.
    >
    > So I am sending in copies of the 2 BC's I have & if that is not proof enough I
    > give up.

Old Apr 13th 2002, 7:56 am
Petey's Playmate

I don't have a passport.

One would think that having 2 different forms of a BC should be sufficient. I mean everthing is on em both to cleary see I was born in the US and a US citizen. Heck I have never even left the country. LOL

Just crap what you have to do just to get married to a person from another country.

Sorry am just in a bitchy mood over this stuff. LOL
Old Apr 13th 2002, 8:40 pm
Mrtravel

PEACHSTER wrote:
    >
    > I don't have a passport.
    >
    > One would think that having 2 different forms of a BC should be sufficient. I mean
    > everthing is on em both to cleary see I was born in the US and a US citizen. Heck I
    > have never even left the country. LOL
    >
    > Just crap what you have to do just to get married to a person from another country.

Go there and marry them.