Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Return to UK after marriage on K-1

Return to UK after marriage on K-1

Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to UK after marriage on K-1

Originally Posted by cliff1961
How long does it take to settle and sort out the Adjustment of Status ?
Typically, the AOS process takes around 6 months. Your mileage may vary. Not everyone gets called for an in-person interview, but you might.

Are both AOS and AP done at the same time ?
AP is applied for at the same time as AOS (in the same package), but they are processed separately.

1. You file the AOS package, including the application for AP.
2. You go for biometrics appointment.
3. You receive AP in hand after about 60 - 90 days (after submitting AOS package)
4. You either get AOS approved or get called to an AOS interview after about 6 months (after submitting AOS package). Could be less than 6 months, too.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 19th 2014 at 6:26 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

Many thanks for the information, as it appears if i do return to the UK with my Advanced Parole i may expect to be called for an interview after a period of 6 months !
Therefore within that period of time i have peace of mind !

Is the Advanced Parole valid for 1 year from the date you receive it ?
or can you start using it several months later and still have 1 years use of it from the day you start to use it ?

Last edited by cliff1961; Feb 19th 2014 at 6:35 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the information, as it appears if i do return to the UK with my Advanced Parole i may expect to be called for an interview after a period of 6 months !
Well, probably a lot less than 6 months. Let's assume it takes 90 days to get AP in hand. Let's also assume your AOS process takes 6 months to get an interview date. If the above is true in your case, you will have about 3 months between the time you get AP in hand, and the time your AOS interview happens.

You should get about 4 weeks advance notice of your AOS interview date, so you should have plenty of time to schedule your return to the USA for it.

Is the Advanced Parole valid for 1 year from the date you receive it ?
Yes.

or can you start using it several months later and still have 1 years use of it from the day you start to use it ?
It doesn't matter when you start using the AP. The AP is valid for 1 year from the date it was issued.

It's not likely that your AOS will take more than 1 year to complete, but just in case it does, you can apply for another AP if you need it.

Also keep in mind that some AOS cases go very fast, and you might even get your interview (or get approved) even before the AP shows up in the mail. If that's the case, you'll need either an I-551 stamp in your passport, or your green card in hand to travel.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks...

Suprising how one thing can branch off into different options.

My Fiance' and i was advised do not even put your property up for sale until i have possession of my Green Card, then return with your Advance parole.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:03 am

My Fiance' and i was advised do not even put your property up for sale until i have possession of my Green Card, then return with your Advance parole.
Yeah, that doesn't make sense at all, because once you are in possession of your green card, you no longer need Advance Parole.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Rene,

if i was in possession of my Green card then, is there anything i have to apply for that i would need in which to

1: Go back to the UK Temporarily ?

2: Return to US ?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:14 am

if i was in possession of my Green card then, is there anything i have to apply for that i would need in which to

1: Go back to the UK Temporarily ?

2: Return to US ?
1. No.
2. No.

You would only have to apply for "something" if you plan to be outside the USA for more than 1 year continuously, which I HIGHLY recommend NOT doing (you can lose your PR status that way). Going back to the UK "temporarily" should not be longer than a few months, and not multiple back-to-back trips, to avoid questioning at the POE upon your return to the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Rene,

Many thanks for all your support and addittional information, at least now i have two options where i thought there was only one (AP)

1: Advanced Parole
2: Wait for Green Card

Have an appointment tomorrow with immigration attorney to send everything off !

Many Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You might get called for an interview after 2 months; or it might be 8 months; or it might be never. It seems as though you're trying to create a relationship where none exists.

My Fiance' and i was advised do not even put your property up for sale until i have possession of my Green Card...
Be aware that if you sell your property after you have a green card, that you will probably have to pay US capital gains tax on any profit on the sale of the property. Did the person who advised you happen to mention that tidbit?

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the tip:
I made this enquiry about tax being deducted from the sale of my property once i enter but never got a reply....

So is this what your trying to explain:

1: If i sell my property and transfer the finance before i receive my green card it will not be taxed ?

2: If it wait for the green card then sell my property and transfer the finance i will loose so much via tax ?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If i sell my property and transfer the finance before i receive my green card it will not be taxed ?
You are complicating things by adding irrelevant information. This has nothing to do with the transfer of the finances. It is the actual sale itself that will trigger the tax. If you sell the property before you become a US permanent resident (= green card), then you don't become liable to pay US capital gains tax on the profit. If you sell it afterwards, you do.

I got your PM. I no longer answer such questions in private... that's what the public forum is for.

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

What makes you think I am complicating things ????
You stated a tip to me in your last post and I just wanted it explained more clear and double check....
It may mean nothing to you as it us not your money that will be lost.

Sorry you received a pm i will not send another, but I required this information by 10:am this morning.....

Just wish your attitude /manner was as sociable and friendly as Noorah's who helpd me earlier, which is th main reason why
some members joined the site to help other members out and make things clearer not to "Bitch" with members like you do rather than help them...

Thankyou - Noorah / Rene

Goodbye Ian

Last edited by cliff1961; Feb 20th 2014 at 1:48 am.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Before you get on Ian's case, I will direct you to this pinned post that asks that questions that require answers that might need clarification or correction not be sent to members but asked in a public forum. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660806

Also the complication was that you are asking about the transfer of monies while the issue is the date of the sale of the property and not the transfer of monies from one country to the next.

Ian has been here for over 15 years and has been godsend for many intended immigrants to the US via marriage based visas. His style is just that, his style. Noorah's is her style. Two different people, two different personalities.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Rete,

but Ian joined in the post starting off not showing any respect talking about discussing i am creating a relationship that does not exist !
This has nothing to do with my post .... Commenting in a Sarcastic manner which I never commented on which was no need for Ian to post this.

I am in a 8 year relationship

His second post had Sarcastic remarks too.
Ian got that ball rolling so have a word why he starts Sarcastic comments when no need to ?

Last edited by cliff1961; Feb 20th 2014 at 2:31 am.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:41 am

Rete,

but Ian joined in the post starting off not showing any respect talking about discussing i am creating a relationship that does not exist !
This has nothing to do with my post .... Commenting in a Sarcastic manner which I never commented on which was no need for Ian to post this.

I am in a 8 year relationship

His second post had Sarcastic remarks too.
Ian got that ball rolling so have a word why he starts Sarcastic comments when no need to ?
Everyone has a different posting style, and there is a handy "ignore" feature if there is a poster whose responses you do not wish to see. Ian did not mention your personal relationship. He was just saying that the actual transfer of money is not relevent...it's the actual sale of the house that matters.

Now...back to the immigration topics, please. Further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.