Rete

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:59 am
LeightonJ

Default Re: Rete

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark:

I've read through the old posts, and I've found nothing that Rete has said to be inflammatory or insulting. At worst, her comments may sound a bit harsh if they are of an opinion which one does not want to hear -- which apparently they were.

As I've just said, I did read your posts by doing a search under your username. And it *IS* obvious who is writing. I would be shocked if ANYONE thought the following two paragraphs were written by the same person:

"hay all my name is jerome
i have been sneak in side of the country by my mother when i was three years old and now i am 19.i am married to a us citizen,and i have a lawyer paid in full and he said there is not nothing he cant really do for me because i am illegal."

"My name is Jerome, and I was born in Jamaica in 1983. In 1986, when I was 3, my mother got fed up with the violence and her life in Jamaica, and took a plane to Canada. When in Canada, my mother paid her American friend to sneak me across the Canadian-american border."

I think Rete's point was to clarify that, since you wrote using the first person tense (i.e., "If I am an illegal alien, but I was snuck across the border when i was a baby..."), responses were not going to your husband, but rather to YOU. Why did you pose as your husband, instead of just saying, "My husband is an illegal alien, snuck across the border when he was a baby..." etc.? It just seems a bit misleading, that's all.

ALL I did was type for him, word for word, because he has difficulty. The message got across regardless of who wrote it lol i just cant believe it is such a big deal. Also, FWIW, my husbands mother and all of his family have very thick thick jamaican accents and he picked it up growing up and he cant spell well, or speak without the accent so i help him.

If your husband was Chinese or Bolivian, then I could understand. But your husband is from Jamaica -- an English-speaking country -- and has lived here as an American for 16 years, since he first learned to talk. He graduated from an American high school, so I don't understand how this even applies to him.

FWIW, I empathize with your situation, and find it difficult to understand how minor children can be punished for the actions of their parents. I hope that you both find a resolution to your problem. Good luck.

~ Jenney

Old Aug 31st 2002, 5:32 am
Evan Audette

Well, if you're only looking for 100% posative "light" on your situation, definately
stop looking for it here. Immigration isn't all blossoms and gum drops, and I should
remind you that some people here have it just as tough, if not worse, than you and
your husband have. However, I also haven't seen many deportation cases that follow
the /exact/ same pattern as your case does.

Oh, and Rete isn't knocking your husband around for bad spelling. There are people
on here that would admit themselves, they're not Bill Gates when it comes to typing,
nor am I. Rete was simply trying to inform the news group how to distinguish between
you and your husband. If BOTH you and your husband typed the same way, we'd have no
idea who we were talking to. By looking at the way someone types (not all the time
as it's not very accurate) you can sometimes get a general idea about who's on "the
other end" typing. Think of it as having two twins side by side, and one has a mole.
Only way you can tell who's who is the mole, right? Well, Rete does that by checking
your typing/spelling, so it's not offensive. I realize you're edgy with this whole
thing, that's understandable, but PLEASE realize nobody here is your enemy, bully or
out to get you.

Old Aug 31st 2002, 6:34 am
Donna Maindrault

In article <[email protected]>, LeightonJ
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Grinch, Im asking peoples opinions on immigration, i am NOT asking people to
    > critique the way my husband spells, or uses punctuation.

No fair making intentional mistakes to try to fool Rita's filter.

-Donna

Old Aug 31st 2002, 2:36 pm
LeightonJ

Originally posted by Evan Audette:
Well, if you're only looking for 100% posative "light" on your situation, definately
stop looking for it here. Immigration isn't all blossoms and gum drops, and I should
remind you that some people here have it just as tough, if not worse, than you and
your husband have. However, I also haven't seen many deportation cases that follow
the /exact/ same pattern as your case does.

Oh, and Rete isn't knocking your husband around for bad spelling. There are people
on here that would admit themselves, they're not Bill Gates when it comes to typing,
nor am I. Rete was simply trying to inform the news group how to distinguish between
you and your husband. If BOTH you and your husband typed the same way, we'd have no
idea who we were talking to. By looking at the way someone types (not all the time
as it's not very accurate) you can sometimes get a general idea about who's on "the
other end" typing. Think of it as having two twins side by side, and one has a mole.
Only way you can tell who's who is the mole, right? Well, Rete does that by checking
your typing/spelling, so it's not offensive. I realize you're edgy with this whole
thing, that's understandable, but PLEASE realize nobody here is your enemy, bully or
out to get you.
"On edge" is putting it very lightly. Maybe I am looking for a little bit of sympathy, maybe we are both looking for someone to tell us a "success story" To put it more realistically, its like having a bad day and having PMS on top of it times x10! every day. Im afraid of the little things, like driving and getting pulled over by the police and, even though Im driving, having the police ask jerome for his ID.....and him not having one...everything is scary...we barely even leave our house. i literally feel like a criminal at times. I want to apologize in this post personally to Rete...maybe ive gone half crazy.....

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:54 pm
Mrtravel

LeightonJ wrote:
. I also don't like how she made the assumption that because I
    > write for my husband that it is "obvious", as if to call my husband illiterate,
    > that all. ALOT (not all, but ALOT)of immigrants or people of other ethnic cultures
    > who have moved to America later than someonoe who was born here is going to write a
    > little bit different....after all, isnt this an immigration board? lol

As I recall, your husband moved to the US at age 2 and is now 19. Are you saying his
culture and language is very different from someone who spent the first 2 years of
their life here?

My daughter moved here before her 6th birthday. She has been here for a little over 2
years and is fluent in English and Russian. She is now working on Spanish.

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:59 pm
Mrtravel

LeightonJ wrote:
    > >
    > No, the Russian VP didnt enter illegelly, our lawyer assisted getting him his visa

So, what does this have to do with your husband's situation? Personally, his ability
to get a former VP of a large country a visa says nothing about his ability to assist
an illegal alien gain residency. Does this assistance to the VP mean he should be
charging $5000 to assist with a visa under LIFE? If he were qualified under life, the
visa process isn't a big deal over what many people on here did without a $5000 legal
bill. If you were that confident in this Russian Ex-VP assisting attorney, you
wouldn't be here asking the same questions an experience higher priced attorney
SHOULD no the answers to. You'd be metter off with one of the knowledgeable attorneys
that frequent this newsgroup.

If I were an attorney, the last thing I would be recommending is to wait for a bill
that may never pass.

Which Russian VP immigrated to the US? What kind of visa did he immigrate under?

Old Sep 1st 2002, 3:01 am
Paul

LeightonJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Mrtravel:
    > > Grinch wrote:
    > > > "LeightonJ" wrote in message
    > > > news:401916.10307665-
    > > > [email protected]:401916.1030766581@british expats.com... and, we do have
    > > > a lawyer, and may I add...he has represented such
    > > > > people as the Russian vice president,
    > > > Why then may I ask are you asking this rag tag bunch of people anything. Surely
    > > > your eminent lawyer can meet all your needs. Grinch
    > >
    > > I was wondering if the Russian VP entered illegally and was attempting to gain
    > > residency. I haven't seen any news reports of this.
    > >
    > No, the Russian VP didnt enter illegelly, our lawyer assisted getting him his visa

Russia does not have a vice president. There was a vice president, Aleksandr
Rutskoi, who effectively lost his position in October 1993 when he opposed the
president in a clash with the Russian parliament. The position was eliminated in the
constitution passed in December of that year. Mr. Rutskoi has not immigrated to the
US. At the risk of sounding judgemental, I wonder just who is it this high-powered
attorney of yours actually represented?

Old Sep 1st 2002, 4:56 am
Targaff

LeightonJ <[email protected]> wrote in
news:402258.1030810993 @britishexpats.com:

> "Emily uses proper English, spelling, sentence construction whereas Jerome writes
    > like the above sample from one of his posts on one of the other visa ng.'' PRIME
    > example of a judgemental person!!!

Eh, you're reading into something that isn't there; usually that indicates that
they're the one with the chip on their shoulder and they're the one looking out
for slights.

Chill out, Rete really is only trying to help. And be glad it's not me - I'd be
picking on you for your inability to quote/reply correctly, for example

That wasn't a jibe, btw. Really.

--

Targaff