Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removing the conditional residence status

Removing the conditional residence status

Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice
Question Removing the conditional residence status

Hiya - I was on this board a lot during our move from London to NY and it has helped us out tremendously so I thought I would come back for some more advice/input on I-751's

Just realized that we need to submit our I-751. The expiration date is 3rd April. Are we considered late? We're mailing it out I'd say by Monday or earlier if we don't need affidavits (probably Saturday).

We have included:

copy of our house deed
copy of our house insurance
copy of our car lease agreement
" " marriage license
" " joint bank account (checking and savings)
" " our daughter's birth certificate

Now do we really need affidavits? If so, does anyone have a sample I can take a look at to make sure I'm not leaving out any specific wording, etc.?
Also any other documentation that I should include that's not on my list?

I was under the impression that this was no big deal according to my colleague when I worked on the American Embassy in London. My mate down in visas stated that all you have to do is send in the I-751 and some documentation along with it and bob's your uncle......

BUT the more I read other threads on this board the more I see that it's more involved than what I had previously thought. And from what I'm reading it seems to take a helluva a long time to get this all sorted from beginning to end.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Oh and what's this biometric stuff? Is this something new? He had his fingerprints done along with an eye scan and they have his photograph why does he have to get this done all over again? It's not like his fingerprints changed just because he lost weight or his eye balls changed because he a year old, etc. I don't get it. Just curious as my colleague back in London didn't mention anything like this?

Cheers..

Last edited by Nylon; Jan 31st 2007 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:02 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removing the conditional residence status

Originally Posted by Nylon
Hiya - I was on this board a lot during our move from London to NY and it has helped us out tremendously so I thought I would come back for some more advice/input on I-751's

Just realized that we need to submit our I-751. The expiration date is 3rd April. Are we considered late? We're mailing it out I'd say by Monday or earlier if we don't need affidavits (probably Saturday).

We have included:

copy of our house deed
" " marriage license

Now do we really need affidavits? If so, does anyone have a sample I can take a look at to make sure I'm not leaving out any specific wording, etc.?
Also any other documentation that I should include that's not on my list?

I was under the impression that this was no big deal according to my colleague when I worked on the American Embassy in London. My mate down in visas stated that all you have to do is send in the I-751 and some documentation along with it and bob's your uncle......

BUT the more I read other threads on this board the more I see that it's more involved than what I had previously thought. And from what I'm reading it seems to take a helluva a long time to get this all sorted from beginning to end.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Oh and what's this biometric stuff? Is this something new? Just curious as my colleague back in London didn't mention anything like this?

Cheers..
Hi,
The petition is filed within the 90 day window prior to the expiration of your greencard. It can be filed any time within that period, so you're not late.

Once you send the petition your husband will get a letter that extends his status for one year while the petition is being processed. He will get a separate letter scheduling him for a biometrics appt. This consists of getting a photo taken and his right index fingerprint. These are used to make the new card.

I think the consensus on this forum is that you certainly can include the affidavits but they are the weakest form of evidence. And no, they are NOT required, but on the list of possible evidence to submit.

HTH,
~SecretGarden
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a milliondy hits by searching from the front page of the forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=977698
That's for the cover letter/lists which many many of us have posted over the years.

Biometrics are the fingerprint and photo for the new card, and possible to re-do the security checks done at each stage.

I don't really see what all is more involved than you thought.. fill in the form, round up evidence of your marital life, send them your $$, wait for instruction, recieve new card. That's all there is.

The affidavit argument has also been covered here in depth. I've boiled it down to this reply:
Affidavits are not required. Some people have submitted them and been approved. Some people have not submitted them and been approved (I'm in that camp). If you would like to submit affidavits, the requirements for making them valid are posted at uscis.gov in the sections regarding Removing Conditions (two important pages to read).

The petition must be submitted in the 90 days before card/status expiration. Not exactly 90 days before, some time IN the 90 days. So, 'late' for you would be April 4 and beyond.

The petition will take up to 18 months to be adjudicated. As long as it is filed correctly, the status is automagically extended even if the card is expired. You will receive written notification of that to carry with the card.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
I just got a milliondy hits by searching from the front page of the forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=977698
I don't really see what all is more involved than you thought.. fill in the form, round up evidence of your marital life, send them your $$, wait for instruction, recieve new card. That's all there is
That's how I saw it too. Send in the necessary paperwork, check and forms and viola. I didn't see a need to get all worked up about it. I guess after reading some posts here I started to second guess myself because some seemed to be getting a bit anxious.

Ok then. No worries. Thanks for the input..

Cheers.. on to A.I.!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Feanor is an unknown quantity at this point

We have included:

copy of our house deed
" " marriage license
You can't get better evidence than the first and last items on your list.