Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removals Of Conditions...

Wikiposts

Removals Of Conditions...

Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removals Of Conditions...

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
I know I have no choice in the matter. I guess I need to explain myself better.

What I'm saying is, would it make any difference WHEN in those 90 days I filed?

Like say I booked my trip for May and filed when I got back. Would I have any issues getting back into the US because it's within the 90 days and I haven't filed yet?
Oh, I see...sorry I didn't get your drift.

1. As long as you file within those 90 days, you're OK as far as the I-751 goes. You can file the first of those 90 days, or the last of those 90 days and still be safe (although I wouldn't leave it that late).

2. As for traveling, as long as your current GC is unexpired, you should have no problem entering the USA, even if it's within that 90-day window prior to its expiration. You'll only have a problem if you are outside the USA when your GC expires, and you don't yet have the 1-year extension letter (which you get after filing the I-751).

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Gotcha, thanks for the wonderful explanation!

I will definitely be travelling waaaaay before my current GC expires.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:44 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I need to explain myself better.
No
What I'm saying is, would it make any difference WHEN in those 90 days I filed?
As a PR with conditions you are a PR up until the date that your green card expires, and as long as your file the I-751 before that date you remain a PR after that date.
Like say I booked my trip for May and filed when I got back. Would I have any issues getting back into the US because it's within the 90 days and I haven't filed yet?
Regards, JEff
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

8 CFR 211.3.

Just saying.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:19 am
Just Joined

samchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nice

I needed to make an Aussie trip (an important family celebration) during my 90 days. I had no problems getting back in and filed once I got back.

Actually I did have one problem. I hadn't gotten around to changing my name on my passports (I have both Aussie and UK citizenship) and the airline in Australia wasn't too keen on letting me onto the return plane as my passport name and Green Card name didn't match. Luckily I had copies of all my ID documentation with me (and a hubby in tow :P ). Immigration at the US end though didn't raise an eyebrow at the name discrepancy. Needless to say I won't be travelling again on my maiden name

Sam
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That's because the airline in Australia bears the cost of flying you back to Australia if the US immigration authorities don't let you in! And the airline does not know if eyebrows will be raised or not, so they tend to assume the worst.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by samchico
the airline in Australia wasn't too keen on letting me onto the return plane as my passport name and Green Card name didn't match. ... Immigration at the US end though didn't raise an eyebrow at the name discrepancy.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:14 am
Just Joined

samchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nicesamchico is just really nice

Well I was totally stupid to not get the passports changed before I left the US. It was certainly a scary few minutes standing at the check in desk and I'll never allow myself to be in that situation again
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:51 pm

Not really - my wife flew for several years with her passport and green card in different names. Her native country passport is still in her maiden name 9 years later (it makes things easier when she enters her native country).

A copy of the marriage certificate easily avoids problems with airlines.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by samchico
Well I was totally stupid to not get the passports changed before I left the US.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I had a copy of marriage certificate etc with me. They were still a little leary but eventually let me on