Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Removal of Conditions RFE Query

Removal of Conditions RFE Query

Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Heffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Removal of Conditions RFE Query

Hi all,

I know it must vary immensely, but what is the shortest time and longest time anyone's ever heard of/experienced for an RFE being received after submitting the I-751?

Thanks!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of Conditions RFE Query

Originally Posted by Heffalump13
Hi all,

I know it must vary immensely, but what is the shortest time and longest time anyone's ever heard of/experienced for an RFE being received after submitting the I-751?

Thanks!
An RFE can come at any time after filing the I-751. Even if you found out some shortest/longest time frames...how does that help you at all? You case may or may not run along those same time frames.

As a layman, I would hazard a guess at the shortest amount of time for an RFE would be a few weeks, and the longest would be a few years.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Heffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to beholdHeffalump13 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Even if you found out some shortest/longest time frames...how does that help you at all? You case may or may not run along those same time frames.

Rene
I'm genuinely just interested to know, I guess. Sorry!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm genuinely just interested to know, I guess. Sorry!
LOL, that's OK. Sorry I sounded harsh. I just read your other thread and I realize your concern.

I don't know the longest or shortest, sorry. But if you do get an RFE, don't panic. Just return what is asked for within the time frame and you'll be fine.

Good luck,
Rene
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

LOL, that's OK. Sorry I sounded harsh. I just read your other thread and I realize your concern.

I don't know the longest or shortest, sorry. But if you do get an RFE, don't panic. Just return what is asked for within the time frame and you'll be fine.

Good luck,
Rene
Not a problem. However, I want/need/will get an RFE, so it's not that I'm worried about - it's the timing! If I get the RFE too soon, I won't be able to file for divorce in time. State-specific laws = problematic in this case.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:23 pm

Not a problem. However, I want/need/will get an RFE, so it's not that I'm worried about - it's the timing! If I get the RFE too soon, I won't be able to file for divorce in time. State-specific laws = problematic in this case.
Even then, I wouldn't worry. As long as you respond in some way to the RFE on time, your case won't be denied, even if all you do is let them know your divorce is still pending. The only thing that would throw your case off-track is if you don't respond in any way to the RFE on time.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I want/need/will get an RFE, so it's not that I'm worried about - it's the timing! If I get the RFE too soon, I won't be able to file for divorce in time. State-specific laws = problematic in this case.
As Rene notes, we've seen people get an RFE within a week or two of filing. Others have taken a year or more. Your specific issue notwithstanding, there's no way to know, in advance, whether or not you'll get an RFE or when that might happen. If you do get an RFE, you will have only 90 days in which to respond... and you must respond.

Regardless, as long as you file the I-751 within the 90-day window, you'll be fine. Also, be aware that the I-751 is one of the lowest priority applications since your status as a PR doesn't change at all during the time it takes for the I-751 to be adjudicated.

Bottom line - there's absolutely nothing you can do about the timing... so you might as well get on with life. Deal with any issues if/when they occur.

Ian
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Regardless, as long as you file the I-751 within the 90-day window, you'll be fine. Also, be aware that the I-751 is one of the lowest priority applications since your status as a PR doesn't change at all during the time it takes for the I-751 to be adjudicated.

Bottom line - there's absolutely nothing you can do about the timing... so you might as well get on with life. Deal with any issues if/when they occur.

Ian
Thank you. I will try to stay calm and not worry.

I know I *must* respond to the RFE within the given time (87 days according to my attorney). However, if I don't have the decree absolut by then, what can I do? I cannot legally file for divorce until September and it will then take 6 weeks minimum to process the divorce. What if I simply can't get the document in time to send for the RFE? I'm assuming they won't accept proof that the divorce is in process.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:48 pm

I know I *must* respond to the RFE within the given time (87 days according to my attorney). However, if I don't have the decree absolut by then, what can I do?
You can respond to the RFE, stating the reason you can't yet supply the requested information.

I cannot legally file for divorce until September and it will then take 6 weeks minimum to process the divorce. What if I simply can't get the document in time to send for the RFE?
Then you return the RFE with a statement saying exactly that.

I'm assuming they won't accept proof that the divorce is in process.
They will accept that proof, yes, and will probably issue another RFE at a later date, asking for the final divorce decree. Responding to the RFE with any information at all is what keeps your case open.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. I will try to stay calm and not worry.

I know I *must* respond to the RFE within the given time (87 days according to my attorney). However, if I don't have the decree absolut by then, what can I do? I cannot legally file for divorce until September and it will then take 6 weeks minimum to process the divorce. What if I simply can't get the document in time to send for the RFE? I'm assuming they won't accept proof that the divorce is in process.
Also, I'm thinking they will ask for the RFE pretty quickly as, although I am not asking to waive the joint filing requirement, I won't be able to provide any proof of divorce at the time I have to file the I-751.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:49 pm

Also, I'm thinking they will ask for the RFE pretty quickly as, although I am not asking to waive the joint filing requirement, I won't be able to provide any proof of divorce at the time I have to file the I-751.
That's OK.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

You can respond to the RFE, stating the reason you can't yet supply the requested information.

They will accept that proof, yes, and will probably issue another RFE at a later date, asking for the final divorce decree. Responding to the RFE with any information at all is what keeps your case open.

Rene
Oh my goodness. I actually felt the air come back into my lungs. Thank you SO much for the response. I had no idea that that would be sufficient. Thank you, thank you.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

However, if I don't have the decree absolut by then, what can I do?
You don't need the decree absolut in order to respond to the RFE. All you need to do, is respond to the RFE.

What if I simply can't get the document in time to send for the RFE?
If that's what happens, then you respond to the RFE indicating that as soon as you have the decree absolut that you will submit it. Responding to the RFE and giving them what they want are two totally separate things! Since you can't possibly give them something you don't yet have, you tell them they'll get it once you get it!

I'm assuming they won't accept proof that the divorce is in process.
What? Why? Proof of your divorce in process is exactly the sort of information you'll want to submit if you get an RFE and you haven't yet got the decree absolut.

Ian
Old Feb 21st 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You don't need the decree absolut in order to respond to the RFE. All you need to do, is respond to the RFE.

If that's what happens, then you respond to the RFE indicating that as soon as you have the decree absolut that you will submit it. Responding to the RFE and giving them what they want are two totally separate things! Since you can't possibly give them something you don't yet have, you tell them they'll get it once you get it!

What? Why? Proof of your divorce in process is exactly the sort of information you'll want to submit if you get an RFE and you haven't yet got the decree absolut.

Ian

Thank you. I don't know... I just worry! So lovely to have this community to turn to. I really appreciate you all.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Rene
Just had this email from my attorney, as I wanted to ask his view also:

"As we discussed during our meeting; you can certainly try requesting an extension, but USCIS standard practice (as per Policy Memoranda) is that if you fail to provide the requested evidence during the time allowed on the RFE (87 days), the petition is denied and a Notice to Appear is issued. That is why timing is key in your case.
So, you can certainly try asking for an extension if it comes to that (based on the state specific divorce laws); but I wouldn’t bet on them granting it or issuing a second RFE."

This is kind of stressful. :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.