Register an agent?

Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:13 am
Just Joined

CrazyCatCollective is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Register an agent?

So we completed I-130 and that has now (6 months later) officially been accepted. The payment is "in process." That's all fine.

Now what I thought was happening next is that the Visa Centre in London would send me a physical application/letter and then I'd send them a bunch of "proof" (e.g. criminal records check, financial information, etc).

But what we actually received was a "please register an agent" form which we have to complete and return to the NVC (New Hampshire).

Typically would your "agent" be the US based spouse or the UK based immigrant? Also couldn't they infer the correct contact addresses from the I-130?

PS - If it isn't clear I'm quite confused by this "agent" stuff.

edit: The form they sent us is DS-3032

Last edited by CrazyCatCollective; Jan 30th 2013 at 8:16 am. Reason: More info
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Register an agent?

Originally Posted by CrazyCatCollective
Now what I thought was happening next is that the Visa Centre in London would send me a physical application/letter and then I'd send them a bunch of "proof" (e.g. criminal records check, financial information, etc).
No, NVC does this. Once NVC has all your "proof", plus the immigrant visa fee, plus the I-864 and fee, they will assign an LND case number. At that time, you can go get your medical done, and NVC assigns an interview date. Then your file gets sent to London.

Typically would your "agent" be the US based spouse or the UK based immigrant?
Yes. Either one. Your choice.

Also couldn't they infer the correct contact addresses from the I-130?
I'm not sure what you mean by correct contact addresses...evidently they did infer the correct one(s), because they contacted you. They now want you to choose the main person (agent) who will receive the next sets of instructions.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Noorah101. That helps a lot.

We'll decide who gets the "pleasure" of completing the next parts and return it to them in that case.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We'll decide who gets the "pleasure" of completing the next parts and return it to them in that case.
The agent isn't the one who necessarily completes and submits forms... the agent is the person who receives the correspondence.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The agent isn't the one who necessarily completes and submits forms... the agent is the person who receives the correspondence.
Likely true, but don't tell the wife that...
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to study the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov to understand the process of applying for the visa and submitting the supporting documentation.

Regards, JEff

But what we actually received was a "please register an agent" form which we have to complete and return to the NVC (New Hampshire).
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Likely true, but don't tell the wife that...
Ah... gotcha!

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, NVC does this. Once NVC has all your "proof", plus the immigrant visa fee, plus the I-864 and fee, they will assign an LND case number.
I don't know if the sequence of things is different for different embassies but the letter I received from the NVC with the DS-3032 already contained my (FRN) case number. I needed the number to pay the various fees and it was also on the coversheets for the I-864 and DS-230 packages.

CrazyCat, didn't you get a letter with your DS-3032 directing you to ImmigrantVisas.state.gov? That website contains the link 'Establish Commnication with the NVC and Register an Address or Agent'. The link contains a list of info you should include in an e-mail to the NVC for this purpose. A couple of days after I did that I received a reply confirming receipt of my DS-3032 (so it was not actually necessary to return the paper form).
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't. Consistency is one of the reasons why the DoS began having all immigrant visa applications go through the NVC rather than start directly at the immigrant visa issuing posts.

Another reason was to have the applications reviewed and fully documented before reaching the posts, to relieve the posts of some of the burden.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
I don't know if the sequence of things is different for different embassies ...