Recent arrival

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

dbman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent arrival

I moved here on 04/04/06 on a K3 visa.

My questions are;

1. How long does do I have to wait to get my social security number/green card? I was told it could take 3 to 6 weeks.

2. I have had a couple of job interviews already, but the agencies seem wary of taking me on without a green card/social security number(even though I hve showed them the K3 visa stamped in my passport. Do I have to get an EAD? Will this help convince prospective employers that I have to right to work here?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent arrival

Originally Posted by dbman

My questions are;

1. How long does do I have to wait to get my social security number/green card? I was told it could take 3 to 6 weeks.

2. I have had a couple of job interviews already, but the agencies seem wary of taking me on without a green card/social security number(even though I hve showed them the K3 visa stamped in my passport. Do I have to get an EAD? Will this help convince prospective employers that I have to right to work here?
Are you absolutely sure you are on a K-3 visa? Forgive me for asking, but some people don't know & you've got some conflicting info in your post.

A K-3 must apply for a work permit; you may not work before you receive it.

A K-3 may not apply for or receive a Social Security account until they are work-authorized by USCIS. That means applying for an EAD/work permit.

Who told you you would get a Green Card in 3-6 weeks? That would be true if you entered on an immigrant visa. If you did enter on an immigrant visa, your Green Card and Social Security card are mailed directly to you, although you are already work authorized and could accept a position if it were offered.

Clarify how you were admitted, and your questions can be answered.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My questions are;

Hi dbman,

Some of your questions were actually covered in your 2003 post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180522

But meauxna has it right. You need to clarify whether you entered on a K-3 visa or the CR/IR-1.

Either way, congrats on your return to the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi dbman,

Some of your questions were actually covered in your 2003 post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180522

But meauxna has it right. You need to clarify whether you entered on a K-3 visa or the CR/IR-1.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Thanks for your responses.

I may have confused myself and you in my initial post.

This is my visa situation........

My wife filed a visa petition for me in the US.

The US embassy in London has issued me a visa which I assumed to be a K-3 visa.
The exact wording on the visa is IV Category - IR1

A note at the bottom of the visa says "Upon endoresement serves as temporary 1-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.

I have entered the US on this visa; I handed the mysterious brown envelope to the Immigration person and my pssport(visa) was stamped admitted.

I do not belive that we have to file for adjustment of status as we celeb rated the 2nd year anniversary of our wedding last year. Am I right?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi dbman,

Best Wishes,
Rene

Hi Noorah101,

I had actually forgotten that I had posed some questions way back in 2003.
Believe it, my visa was finally issued on 3oth march 2006. It's been quite a wait.

Thanks for pointing me to it though.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh nope, that's not the K-3. You got an Immigrant Visa, category IR-1. You should receive your green card and SS card in a few weeks. No, you don't need to apply for EAD. No, you don't need to remove conditions.

It will be hard to prove your status to an employer who isn't familiar with immigration. Just sit tight until your docs come in. Trying to chase down a SS letter verifying your status will be more trouble than it's worth, when your card will be coming in the mail in the near future. That is, if you ticked the box that said you wish to receive one upon entry to the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ahhh nope, that's not the K-3. You got an Immigrant Visa, category IR-1. You should receive your green card and SS card in a few weeks. No, you don't need to apply for EAD. No, you don't need to remove conditions.

It will be hard to prove your status to an employer who isn't familiar with immigration. Just sit tight until your docs come in. Trying to chase down a SS letter verifying your status will be more trouble than it's worth, when your card will be coming in the mail in the near future. That is, if you ticked the box that said you wish to receive one upon entry to the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thank you; I guess I'll have to be patient till the docs show up.

Yes I ticked the box to apply for the SSN on the form I signed at my visa interview in London.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Best Wishes,
Rene

Might be worth going down to the local SS office though - if his number has come through, they'll be able to tell him. Might save him a week or two.
(Tip: Go late afternoon, just before closing time- NOT in the morning!)
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your responses.

I may have confused myself and you in my initial post.

This is my visa situation........

My wife filed a visa petition for me in the US.

A note at the bottom of the visa says "Upon endoresement serves as temporary 1-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year.

I have entered the US on this visa; I handed the mysterious brown envelope to the Immigration person and my pssport(visa) was stamped admitted.

I do not belive that we have to file for adjustment of status as we celeb rated the 2nd year anniversary of our wedding last year. Am I right?
Well, good news for you. You are now a Permanent Resident of the United States. You have permission to live and work here indefinitely, as long as you follow the rules. You can find your rights and responsibilities spelled out here:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

You are class "IR-1" because you were married for more than two years when you became a PR. THat's what you are stabbing at in your last sentence (only it's not called Adjustment of status--never mind, you don't have to do it).

Your visa is an Immigrant Visa, and the endorsement on it makes it the same thing as a Green Card. If your prospective employers are having a hard time with it, you may want to educate them gently. There is a LOT of information for employers on SSA.gov including a picture of the MRIV (your visa) and an explanation of what it is, and instructions for how the employer can hire you NOW before you get your Social Security card.

The most important thing is that you are not a K-3, you are a Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
You may be eligible to apply for US citizenship in 3 years.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Might be worth going down to the local SS office though - if his number has come through, they'll be able to tell him. Might save him a week or two.
(Tip: Go late afternoon, just before closing time- NOT in the morning!)
To the OP - This is a good idea, but if you do this, make sure they know you are not applying for a NEW number or card. Bring whatever form you ticked the "yes" box on, and show it to them. If the rep behind the window seems confused, talk to someone higher up. See if they'll issue you a letter saying you've applied, that you can show your employer until the card itself arrives.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

To the OP - This is a good idea, but if you do this, make sure they know you are not applying for a NEW number or card. Bring whatever form you ticked the "yes" box on, and show it to them. If the rep behind the window seems confused, talk to someone higher up. See if they'll issue you a letter saying you've applied, that you can show your employer until the card itself arrives.

Rene
Thank you all for your responses.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your responses.

Got my GC lasyt week.

I went to the local SSA office to check if my ss# was still being processed. The lady I spoke to said there was nothing on their system to indicate that my ss# was being processed. She then initiated an application for a new one and gave me a letter stating that fact, and that I would receive my new ss# in two weeks.

It looks like DHS(or who ever was meant to) did not initiate my ss# processing as I was informed they would.
Old May 10th 2006, 11:45 pm

Got my GC lasyt week.

I went to the local SSA office to check if my ss# was still being processed. The lady I spoke to said there was nothing on their system to indicate that my ss# was being processed. She then initiated an application for a new one and gave me a letter stating that fact, and that I would receive my new ss# in two weeks.

It looks like DHS(or who ever was meant to) did not initiate my ss# processing as I was informed they would.
Congratulations on receiving your green card. Was it indeed the 10-year one?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 11th 2006, 12:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Got my GC lasyt week.

You can apply for a job and complete the I-9 on the basis of that letter and before the actual card arrives.
Old May 11th 2006, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Congratulations on receiving your green card. Was it indeed the 10-year one?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks. Yes it was the 10 year one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.