Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Received K3 visa today in London

Received K3 visa today in London

Old Dec 3rd 2001, 8:30 pm
John O'Donnell

finally

after all this time got the K3. Even better, the embassy said they will process the
approved I-130 through the USA so i dont have to return to London.

Have to say the london consulate folk were very helpful. I was expecting an
interogation and did not even have an interview, just show us your marriage, police
certificate etc

lots of smiling faces at the embassy today including the irish guy who came back from
the docs with his v-neck pullover on back to front

Old Dec 3rd 2001, 9:45 pm
Twotrees

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I understood that if you go the K3 route, you were left with one of two options:
1) Let the I130 run it's course and have to return to your country of origin to
interview OR
2) File AOS at your local INS within 2 years. It seems like you were just offered a
third option. How does the I-130 get prcessed through the USA? Anyone?

Lorrie

Old Dec 3rd 2001, 11:00 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Twotrees wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
The answer lies in #2 above: they file AOS in the US and the I-130 is processed
there. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Dec 3rd 2001, 11:00 pm
Betastar

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 22:09:29 GMT, "John O'Donnell"
<[email protected]> spake:

>
    >
    >
    >

Congratulations and excellent news! Have a good journey to the US and a new life with
your wife =)

Betastar

Old Dec 4th 2001, 12:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Think you are missing a point here twotrees. If your foreign spouse were in the US at the time of marriage and filing you would have filed the I-130 and the I-485 at the local INS Office. With the K-3, the I-130 will be processed through its entirety at the service center and then you will have to file the I-485 at the local INS office. The I-130 alone will do absolutely nothing for your spouse if they remain in the US without filing the I-485 at the local level. So your point #2 is correct with the addition of the above regarding the processing of the I-130.

So if your marriage is valid there is absolutely no reason why you would not file the I-485 asa your spouse enters the US on the K-3.

Rita
Old Dec 4th 2001, 11:53 am
John O'Donnell

Thanks Everyone.

With regards the I-130, we have a choice, we can either file for AOS when entering
the USA or wait for the I-130 to complete and get a green card.

California is literally days away from finally approving our I-130.

I stressed this at the London consulate, and the guy who handed me my K3 checked with
two colleagues and said yes our I-130 will be processed through the USA and details
will be sent to our US address.

Keep in mind this is a K3 visa. As the point of a K3 was to get you to the USA
wouln't it be logical to be able to finish the I-130 in the states rather than return
to london.

However we will continue to read this newsgroup and post a followup to what happens
with the I-130.

If our I-130 was months away we would file an adjustment of status however its not so
of course we will wait for it to complete then get a green card.

More as we get it.

And finally thanks for all the support on this newsgroup. The last 6 months have been
the worst of my life due to immigration. Every day was like an emotional
rollercoaster and its only this group that has kept me sane and away from the
therapist. I met Kay yesterday who was also there for a K3 (i believe i was the first
K3),she said the same thing ie each day your emotions would be either up or down
depending on what you read.

Good luck to all still playing the waiting game.

>
[usenetquote2]> > I understood that if you go the K3 route, you were left with one of two options:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) Let the I130 run it's course and have to return to your country of[/usenetquote2]
origin
[usenetquote2]> > to interview OR[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) File AOS at your local INS within 2 years. It seems like you were just offered[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a third option. How does the I-130[/usenetquote2]
get
[usenetquote2]> > prcessed through the USA? Anyone?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 5th 2001, 12:25 pm
Kay

Hi everyone,

I was issued my K3 visa in London on Monday 3rd Dec too...

I am wheelchair dependant with MS and will never be able to work in the U.S.A.,
all the Emabssy really wanted to know was; Was I covered my medical insurance Were
we financially independant When was my last MS attack (letter from doc stating 5
years ago)

It is purely due to Alvenas 'opinions' that got us through all this; you cannot go
wrong with this lady!

Kay

"John O'Donnell" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Twotrees wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I understood that if you go the K3 route, you were left with one of two[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > options:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 1) Let the I130 run it's course and have to return to your country of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > to interview OR[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2) File AOS at your local INS within 2 years. It seems like you were just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > offered a third option. How does the I-130[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > prcessed through the USA? Anyone?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The answer lies in #2 above: they file AOS in the US and the I-130 is processed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there. Alvena[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -----------------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/visainfo/visainfo.htm[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > =========================================[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > opinion, posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > =========================================[/usenetquote2]

Old Dec 5th 2001, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is very interesting that you were allowed entry into the US as a intended immigrant with such a diabilating and progessively worsening disease such as MS. What would happen if your husband were no longer working and his health insurance was cut off and private insurance or insurance resulting from new employment refuses to cover you because of it being a pre-existing condition? Does that mean that you would become healthcare recipient of public means tested benefits? Would that in turn hinder your right to become a US Citizen which is what I assume you will want to do to ensure that you will be qualified for such benefits in the distant future if your marriage fails, your spouse dies and/or your conditions worsens to the point where you will have to be institutionalized.

Glad you made it and that love has conquered disease but curious as to how the costs involved in your illness will be handled by the government agencies if (or when) you require their assistance.

Rita
Old Dec 5th 2001, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Default I-130 and the K-3

Now I am very confused. Is John trying to tell us that after he enters the US on his K-3 that he will NOT have to go through filing the I-485 at the local INS level or go through a marriage validity interview for his green card. His post reads that once his I-130 is approved at the service center level, they will automatically send him a green card in the mail at this US address. Is this true?

Rita
Old Dec 5th 2001, 10:36 pm
Kay

Rete -

Could I have your email addy to mail you privately please? Thanks,

Kay ([email protected])

Rete <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >