Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Random Home Inspections - Bedroom Police - true or false ?

Random Home Inspections - Bedroom Police - true or false ?

Old Feb 18th 2003, 2:06 am
Just Joined

harryputter0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Random Home Inspections - Bedroom Police - true or false ?

Can anyone tell of any incident that the INS just turns up without warning during the CR1 period to inspect your life and household and whether you conform to their warped view of marriage (apart from the obvious living together) ? For example, in their world women don't have separate bank accounts - everything is joint, not because this reflects reality, but because it reflects their jaundiced notions of a partnership.

Some people claim they just show up randomly, others say only for a reasonable cause (ie tip off - or mischief by co-workers with a grudge) ?

Is this true ?

Has this actually hapened to anyone ???

Do they go looking at sheets and the bathroom ?

Given their ways of losing files routinely, extensive delays and random ways, this seems like crap because my feeling is that they are disorganized and understaffed. My guess is that they would not do this without a pretty good reason, purely out of laziness.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Random Home Inspections - Bedroom Police - true or false ?

Originally posted by harryputter0
Can anyone tell of any incident that the INS just turns up without warning during the CR1 period to inspect your life and household and whether you conform to their warped view of marriage (apart from the obvious living together) ? For example, in their world women don't have separate bank accounts - everything is joint, not because this reflects reality, but because it reflects their jaundiced notions of a partnership.

Some people claim they just show up randomly, others say only for a reasonable cause (ie tip off - or mischief by co-workers with a grudge) ?

Is this true ?

Has this actually hapened to anyone ???

Do they go looking at sheets and the bathroom ?

Given their ways of losing files routinely, extensive delays and random ways, this seems like crap because my feeling is that they are disorganized and understaffed. My guess is that they would not do this without a pretty good reason, purely out of laziness.
Hi:

Why do you ask?

As far as I know, it is not done at random.

However, it IS done from time to time in response to a lead [e.g. a snitch] to INS.

And it is not limited to the CR-1 period. I successfully defended a marriage fraud case where the investigation was instigated 5 years after the marriage.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susie is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a legitimate marriage you have nothing to worry about... why the paranoia?
Old Feb 18th 2003, 2:43 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Susie
If you are a legitimate marriage you have nothing to worry about... why the paranoia?
Lol
Old Feb 18th 2003, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
Lol
they are only looking for people that are scamming them -- ironically it is those people who contribute heavily to the long wait time on these visa's. Just seriously, I don;t wanna read to deep into what you wrote, but just be yourself and in love with your fiance and all is great!
Old Feb 18th 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps things have changed. Five years ago, I made many calls and visits to the INS about my own Chinese wife and all they would do was laugh at me -- *literally*. The end result is that two years after the fact, I was finally successful in getting them to release a copy of a bogus I-751 (forged signature) by using the Freedom of Information Act. My point is that if the USC spouse cannot attract their attention to outright fraud ("what do you care if just one more immigrant is in the country?"), I cannot imagine that they would make the effort to take "tips" that would lead them investigating a couple's bedroom habits.

Again, perhaps things have changed in the last five years, but I suspect not. Five years ago, I could not attract their attention to fraud, yet they were raiding small sweat shops and farms to "round up" people who labored hard for pennies per eighteen hour day. Gun-carrying agents raiding a business were great photo ops to play on the six o'clock news. Now fast-forward to the present and you will see that the INS is playing the same pointless worthless jackass photo-op game: They arrested a few hundred people in California to make it look like they are doing something about the threat of terrorism. Rounding up people who have overstayed their visis because the INS was tardy in approvals and such -- that makes the international news and shows the world that they are busy "doing something." Raiding your bedroom -- put it in perspective of INS priorities of getting publicity.

It takes only seconds in the confort of someone's office to request an RFE or approve or disapprove a petition of some sort. But to get in a car and drive out to someone's house: imagine the time that this takes and the workload that the INS has right now. Give them a joint bank account, a joint phone bill, a joint rental agreement - anything that gives an overworked decision maker an excuse to get your file off of her desk.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bobzy
Perhaps things have changed. Five years ago, I made many calls and visits to the INS about my own Chinese wife and all they would do was laugh at me -- *literally*. The end result is that two years after the fact, I was finally successful in getting them to release a copy of a bogus I-751 (forged signature) by using the Freedom of Information Act. My point is that if the USC spouse cannot attract their attention to outright fraud ("what do you care if just one more immigrant is in the country?"), I cannot imagine that they would make the effort to take "tips" that would lead them investigating a couple's bedroom habits.

Again, perhaps things have changed in the last five years, but I suspect not. Five years ago, I could not attract their attention to fraud, yet they were raiding small sweat shops and farms to "round up" people who labored hard for pennies per eighteen hour day. Gun-carrying agents raiding a business were great photo ops to play on the six o'clock news. Now fast-forward to the present and you will see that the INS is playing the same pointless worthless jackass photo-op game: They arrested a few hundred people in California to make it look like they are doing something about the threat of terrorism. Rounding up people who have overstayed their visis because the INS was tardy in approvals and such -- that makes the international news and shows the world that they are busy "doing something." Raiding your bedroom -- put it in perspective of INS priorities of getting publicity.

It takes only seconds in the confort of someone's office to request an RFE or approve or disapprove a petition of some sort. But to get in a car and drive out to someone's house: imagine the time that this takes and the workload that the INS has right now. Give them a joint bank account, a joint phone bill, a joint rental agreement - anything that gives an overworked decision maker an excuse to get your file off of her desk.
Hi:

You bring up a valid point -- however, look at from allocation of resources. You note the taking the car out -- now as a matter of policy, they never send out ONE officer, it is always two.

So lets say they check out that marriage and find it is fraud -- two officers, one alien.

Now, lets say 15 officers conduct a "workplace survey" [popularly called a "raid"], and they pick up 45 aliens. The "return" is 3 aliens per officer rather than 1/2 per officer.

Also, the employment end of things is often more important than the family end of things in immigration law -- both for benefits and enforcement. I'm not saying that I approve of it, that's just the way it is.

Also, that case I mentioned I had defended, the informant went to INS in1998 and a throrough investigation was conducted in early 1999. The informant admittedly never met the alien until 3 years after the marriage and admitted to a legal dispute with the alien. When the US spouse was subjected to an early morning ambush interview, she cursed the INS officers at length, expressed fear of being arrested, and insisted the marriage had been for real. Despite the total lack of evidence, INS concluded that the fraud was "obvious." We had one of the more conservative Immigration Judges and he agreed that although there was reason for suspicion, there was next to no evidence of fraud. As to the informant, he found that she was inconsistent and hated the alien and therefore could not be trusted.

When it comes to signatures, INS tried to prove a false signature. They were convinced there were false signatures from the US wife. However, their OWN forensics experts said they could not determine whose signature it was. INS took this to mean it wasn't the wife's, and the Immigration Judge noted that no one knew and the wife said it was a valid marriage when she was "interviewed" by INS. [BTW, no "hearsay" rule in Immigration Court].
Old Feb 18th 2003, 8:26 pm
Alf

Default Re: Random Home Inspections - Bedroom Police - true or false ?

Well, being in love and passionate with spouse or fiance
are great, but keep documentations

"Steve2003" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Ranjini
    > > Lol
    > they are only looking for people that are scamming them -- ironically it
    > is those people who contribute heavily to the long wait time on these
    > visa's. Just seriously, I don;t wanna read to deep into what you wrote,
    > but just be yourself and in love with your fiance and all is great!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com