questions questions questions

questions questions questions

Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

mark_bankover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: questions questions questions

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

And when did you first apply for your visa, if you arrived in April just so i know timescales ?

And what route did you take then, im assuming engaged and then you applied through what type of visa ??
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_bankover
Hi Noorah,

Thanks for your help,

Can you easily explain the difference between CR1, K1 and IR1 then please ??
Did you read the link I provided to the comparison chart?

The only difference in the CR-1 and IR-1 is how long you've been married. They are both the same Immigrant Visa, just different categories.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all
Question Re: questions questions questions

So just to clarify, you done the CR1 visa which is getting married first ??

So how did your process work if you dont mind me asking
Check out the link in my signature it shows my timeline so far. Were not done yet so can't say how the whole thing went. If you look at the guides they will explain all the processes
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So really, i would need to be in a position where i wont be able to work for the 90 days is that correct ?

but in that time between arriving and the 90 days of planning the wedding, i could look for jobs, go to interviews and be offered something ??
K-1 applicants should plan on not working for the first 6 months in the US. You may get employment authorization sooner than that, but if you bank on 6, you'll be better off.

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Yeah I think so, as I said we didnt do the K1 so im not 100% maybe the pro's can answer that lol. The way the WIKI words it though is that you can sometimes work in those 90 days, it just depends I guess.
Thank you for calling this to my attention. That information about JFK is very outdated and I will remove it from the wiki. (so please don't post it anymore! )

When a K-1 arrives, they can apply for that 90 day EAD, which arrives after 90 days (IE don't do it).
After they marry and apply for AOS, they can apply for the EAD to tide them over to the Green Card approval.

If the couple take say 2 months after arrival to marry, and then file, and it then takes 90 days to get the EAD.. well, just about 6 months.
IMO, that is how long K-1s should plan on waiting to work.

The K-1 is not designed to be an employment visa. It's designed to let foreign fiances come to the US to get married and apply to stay.

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 21st 2011 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

And when did you first apply for your visa, if you arrived in April just so i know timescales ?

And what route did you take then, im assuming engaged and then you applied through what type of visa ??
The K-1 visa process takes 6-8 months all in, from the day the first form is filed. If you two have decided that you will marry and you have seen each other in person in the past 2 years, you can start today.

The Immigrant Visa process takes 8-10 months, all in, from the day the first form is filed. However, you are not yet married and can not begin today.

Please do read the comparison between marriage visas article.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Can I still apply this way if we have been dating for 6 months, as you mention the below of seeing eachother in person for the past 2 years ??

[QUOTE=meauxna;9509823]The K-1 visa process takes 6-8 months all in, from the day the first form is filed. If you two have decided that you will marry and you have seen each other in person in the past 2 years, you can start today.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:25 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Can I still apply this way if we have been dating for 6 months, as you mention the below of seeing eachother in person for the past 2 years ??
It's not FOR the past two years, it's IN the past two years. Please do read the articles, it'll all become relatively clear and then you will be able to ask questions on anything you still don't understand.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:25 pm

[QUOTE=mark_bankover;9509829]Can I still apply this way if we have been dating for 6 months, as you mention the below of seeing eachother in person for the past 2 years ??

Originally Posted by meauxna
The K-1 visa process takes 6-8 months all in, from the day the first form is filed. If you two have decided that you will marry and you have seen each other in person in the past 2 years, you can start today.
The requirement is that you have met IN PERSON at some time in the past two years.
Have you?

I caution you to get detail oriented, like NOW. Re-read what I wrote, and then what you replied. This process is complex, foreign to you, and is among the most important thing to most applicants (to be with their sweetie).
Missing things like that sinks people, so slow down, read the links and you'll get it eventually. You can not expect to learn this in 30 minutes.

You do not have to see each other FOR two years.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
K-1 applicants should plan on not working for the first 6 months in the US. You may get employment authorization sooner than that, but if you bank on 6, you'll be better off.

Thank you for calling this to my attention. That information about JFK is very outdated and I will remove it from the wiki. (so please don't post it anymore! )

When a K-1 arrives, they can apply for that 90 day EAD, which arrives after 90 days (IE don't do it).
After they marry and apply for AOS, they can apply for the EAD to tide them over to the Green Card approval.

If the couple take say 2 months after arrival to marry, and then file, and it then takes 90 days to get the EAD.. well, just about 6 months.
IMO, that is how long K-1s should plan on waiting to work.

The K-1 is not designed to be an employment visa. It's designed to let foreign fiances come to the US to get married and apply to stay.
oops sorry. I only just looked it up, shall not post it again lol
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

I understand, thank you for your help, it is very clear now, just want to see whatever route is quickest in order to be together
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:07 pm

I understand, thank you for your help, it is very clear now, just want to see whatever route is quickest in order to be together
K-1 Fiance(e) Visa.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:07 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

We went the K1 route, and sent off the petition in July 2010. With hindsight we probably should have gotten married first, and then applied for a spouse visa. The not being allowed to work aspect of the K1 is driving me close to insanity!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You say she's in Boston, but here's a question that hasn't yet been asked but has been, so far, assumed. Is your girlfriend a US citizen?

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

Yes she is a US citizen.

So looking at the best and quickest way possible really.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:19 pm

Hi there,

Yes she is a US citizen.

So looking at the best and quickest way possible really.
Oh, now you are changing the goal post!

K-1 is "quickest".
"Best" depends on your judgment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.