Reload this Page >

Questions about K VISA application forms

Questions about K VISA application forms

Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

aklor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about K VISA application forms

Hi all,

Received a letter from the US embassy in London, directing me to this link to fill out the forms.

I'm a bit worried about doing something wrong, or missing out something important. These are going to sound like stupid questions, but I've got no time to feel embarrassed so I'm going to just ask them.

1) Should I fill out the form in CAPITAL LETTERS? or lower case?

2) I've no idea (yet) where my "permanent address" is going to be in the US. Will it create a bad impression if I'm leaving that box blank? Should I just put the address of my fiancee's parents house?

3) On the DS-230 Part 1 form, number 14 to 18 asks information about my "spouse", as well as the 'date of marriage'. What spouse? I'm not married yet!

4) On the DS-156, it asks for name and address of present employer. I am a self employed designer, working from home. My parents home. Should I put my home address as my employment address? or leave it blank...

5) On the DS-156 again, number 26 and 27 is asking:

"How Long Do You Intend To Stay in The U.S.?"

What is The Purpose of Your Trip?

WTF man?! I'm going to be settling down...this isn't a holiday!

thanks in advance...

Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about K VISA application forms

Originally Posted by aklor
1) Should I fill out the form in CAPITAL LETTERS? or lower case?
Don't panic. These forms are used for different visa types...some questions may not apply to you.

We filled ours out in Upper/Lower case as appropriate.

2) I've no idea (yet) where my "permanent address" is going to be in the US. Will it create a bad impression if I'm leaving that box blank? Should I just put the address of my fiancee's parents house?
Try not to leave anything blank. You must have some address where you're going to when you first arrive in the USA, right? Put that one.

3) On the DS-230 Part 1 form, number 14 to 18 asks information about my "spouse", as well as the 'date of marriage'. What spouse? I'm not married yet!
"none"

4) On the DS-156, it asks for name and address of present employer. I am a self employed designer, working from home. My parents home. Should I put my home address as my employment address? or leave it blank...
"self-employed", at whatever address you consider to be your business address. If you work from your parents' home, then that's your business address.

"How Long Do You Intend To Stay in The U.S.?"
Permanently.

What is The Purpose of Your Trip?
To marry my fiancee _______ (insert her name) and adjust status to permanent resident.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the answers!

I'm going to crack on with the forms. I'll probably be back later with some more stupid questions, so watch out everybody
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the answers!

I'm going to crack on with the forms. I'll probably be back later with some more stupid questions, so watch out everybody
All the stupid questions have probably been posted before, so have yourself a look through the first few pages of the forum for other K-1 people and check out the 2 wiki entries here for help. If you still have a question, don't be shy to ask, but you'll be amazed that others think just like you do!
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone, me again...

I've done my best to SEARCH for the answers to my questions. I've had a fair bit of success, but am still stuck with these following questions:

DS-156 / Number 22. When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.?

I do not have a specific date planned yet. I guess it all comes down to how fast these forms get processed. Is it OK to leave that box blank?

DS-156 / Number 32. Do You Intend To Work in The U.S.?

Obviously, at some point YES. But nothing arranged yet. The plan is to get to the states and live off my savings I've set aside, for the time being while I settle into everything.

Should I tick the NO box?

DS-156 / Number 36. Has Anyone Ever Filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on Your Behalf?

Well my fiancee did all the original paperwork, from the US. She sent it all off and it was a few months after that that I was contacted by the London Embassy to fill out these forms. Is that what they're asking?

thanks guys
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it OK to leave that box blank?
Don't leave anything blank. It's not a trick question... if you don't know, say so.

Obviously, at some point YES.
Then say so! It's not a trick question.

Well my fiancee did all the original paperwork, from the US.
Did she file an immigrant visa petition for you? Again, it's not a trick question. Hint... answer = no.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian.

For the 'When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.?' question though, there isn't room for expanding my answer. It's simply a drop-down menu where a date must be entered.

How long do you think this whole process will take until/if I get approved. I'm considering putting JULY 2010. Is that too early?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's simply a drop-down menu where a date must be entered.
In that case, enter a date... any date. You are allowed to change your mind later on, so it's not something that's set in stone.

I'm considering putting JULY 2010. Is that too early?
I think July 2010 is a reasonable date. It won't really matter though.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

DS-156 / Number 22. When Do You Intend To Arrive In The U.S.?
I do not have a specific date planned yet. I guess it all comes down to how fast these forms get processed. Is it OK to leave that box blank?
Try not to leave anything blank. Put your estimated arrival in the USA. You don't have to stick to it.

DS-156 / Number 32. Do You Intend To Work in The U.S.?
Obviously, at some point YES. But nothing arranged yet. The plan is to get to the states and live off my savings I've set aside, for the time being while I settle into everything.
Should I tick the NO box?
No.

DS-156 / Number 36. Has Anyone Ever Filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on Your Behalf?

Well my fiancee did all the original paperwork, from the US. She sent it all off and it was a few months after that that I was contacted by the London Embassy to fill out these forms. Is that what they're asking?
The I-129F is a non-immigrant visa petition.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone, me again.

I'm just finalising my application forms but I'm feeling a bit paranoid about a certain element of it. The occupation part.

Since I finished university 2 years ago, I haven't really had a "proper" full-time job. My move to the U.S has pretty much always been on the cards, so I didn't want to commit to laying down any roots as far as occupation was concerned.

I've been doing the odd freelance jobs and running a few internet businesses, but by no means have these been "full-time". Just bringing in pocket money if anything. Been doing a handful of short-courses in the meanwhile too. I live with my parents.

I've read through various threads here and my understanding is that U.S immigration doesn't really care what you do, work wise. Is that right? I mean, am I going to be sat down and asked to explain that side of my life?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
cheers
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:26 pm

I've read through various threads here and my understanding is that U.S immigration doesn't really care what you do, work wise. Is that right?
That is right.

I mean, am I going to be sat down and asked to explain that side of my life?
You might be asked at the interview if you intend to work in the USA. You can say either yes, no, or I don't know, whichever is correct for you. If you say yes, they might ask what kind of work you plan to do. You can say you aren't sure yet. It's OK, they don't really care what you'll do. Just be honest.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

The occupation part.
What did you study at university? If, say, biology... then you're occupation is a biologist... and whether or not you're actually working as a biologist is irrelevant.

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

a,

Based on what you've said about yourself they probably don't. But if you happened to work for an organization that was suspected of having ties of some kind to organized crime or terrorist organizations you might raise an eyebrow or two. Or if you worked in an occupation requiring special skills that could be used for nefarious purposes you might get looked at a bit more closely.

Regards, JEff

I've read through various threads here and my understanding is that U.S immigration doesn't really care what you do, work wise. Is that right?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:46 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing the odd freelance jobs and running a few internet businesses, but by no means have these been "full-time". Just bringing in pocket money if anything. Been doing a handful of short-courses in the meanwhile too. I live with my parents.

I've read through various threads here and my understanding is that U.S immigration doesn't really care what you do, work wise. Is that right? I mean, am I going to be sat down and asked to explain that side of my life?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
cheers
In marriage based cases, it is not all that relevant as long as you don't put down things like "terrorist" or "mafia soldier." I work in Hollywood, where there are many people with "occupations" in "The Industry" with the appropriate Guild card to prove it -- the rent money comes from the work at Starbucks.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi gang,

Thanks for all the replies and the help. I'm eternally grateful.

My forms are all completed and ready to go, but for my own peace of mind I just want to go through it here to make sure I'm doing it all correctly. The order of things is confusing me a bit.

So, just to check....this is the plan of action:

1) Send the forms (DS-230, DS-156, DS-157, DS-156K) along with the checklist, to the London Embassy.

2) In the meantime, prepare the documents that need to be presented at the interview. I have them all ready apart from the Police Certificate which I need to apply for.

Or perhaps I should have the police certificate in my possession first, before returning the checklist and completed forms?

3) Schedule a medical examination. Do I do this immediately? Or wait until I hear back from the embassy with my interview date? It must take place before the interview, right?

Thanks all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.