Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

questions about entering the US to marry

Wikiposts

questions about entering the US to marry

Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:50 am
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default questions about entering the US to marry

Hi everyone

I have a few questions about entering the US to Marry.

I am flying out to the States at the end of the month for a few weeks to get married to my long term partner in a small ceremony which has already been booked. The plan is to have a larger one in a few years when we can afford it. The reason we are choosing to marry in the states is because my partners mother cannot fly and really wants to be a witness, and my partner cannot take any time off work for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, although we are technically engaged to be married I havent had the opportunity to give her the engagement ring yet, which I plan on doing early on in the trip a few weeks before our ceremony. I thought it's only fair that she gets a nice traditional proposal even though she know's whats coming!

The questions I have are, 1. I will have an engagement ring in my suitcase. Will I need to declare this? It's not massively expensive and costs less than $1000.

2. When the officer asks me what I plan to do in the states, shall I simply say "I am getting married to my fiance"? The worry I have here is that he may get confused if the fact that I have a ring in my suitcase comes up. He may ask "how can you be engaged if you havent given her a ring yet?" etc. The simple answer to this is that I havent had a chance to give it to her yet and although we have agreed to get married I still want her to have something nice and traditional like a romantic proposal even though she know's its coming.

3. This is not Visa related but I wondered if anyone could advise. I have got her father a rather expensive bottle of Whiskey (£150) as a 60th birthday present. Would there be much hassle involved in taking this in my luggage? Or would it be safer to just ship it here from the UK?

Many thanks in advance for any answers

Gareth
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions about entering the US to marry

Originally Posted by GarethB789
Anyway, although we are technically engaged to be married...
Not "technically"... "actually". Once the decision to marry has been made, you're engaged whether or not a ring is involved.

will have an engagement ring in my suitcase. Will I need to declare this?
No.

When the officer asks me what I plan to do in the states, shall I simply say "I am getting married to my fiance"?
If what you say is the truth, then say it. In this case, I'd follow it up immediately with "... and then I'm returning to the UK and she's going to submit an I-130 petition".

He may ask "how can you be engaged if you havent given her a ring yet?"
It won't come up... because a ring isn't a requirement.

I wondered if anyone could advise. I have got her father a rather expensive bottle of Whiskey (£150) as a 60th birthday present. Would there be much hassle involved in taking this in my luggage? Or would it be safer to just ship it here from the UK?
You won't be allowed to put it in your carry on luggage, so you'd have to put it with your checked baggage (if any) and take your chances. I suggest you simply ship it ahead of time.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:27 am
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you very much for your fast reply, Ian. Very reassuring.

Gareth
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

I will have an engagement ring in my suitcase. Will I need to declare this? It's not massively expensive and costs less than $1000.

[...]

This is not Visa related but I wondered if anyone could advise. I have got her father a rather expensive bottle of Whiskey (£150) as a 60th birthday present. Would there be much hassle involved in taking this in my luggage? Or would it be safer to just ship it here from the UK?
The customs form asks you to declare any goods you are bringing in that will remain in the US and their value. CBP officers will determine the duty owed (if any). The normal exemption for non-residents is $100. I don't know if there are additional exemptions for categories such as alcohol, engagement rings etc.

Whether you choose to declare when asked is another matter.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
The customs form asks you to declare any goods you are bringing in that will remain in the US and their value.
But the ring isn't "goods"... it's a gift - and that puts it in a different category.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
But the ring isn't "goods"... it's a gift - and that puts it in a different category.
Then I must correct myself: the form asks residents to list what 'goods' they are bringing in and visitors to list what 'articles'.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

In fact, where on the front of the form it says 'goods/articles', in the explanatory notes on the back it says 'articles/articles'.

And, come to think of it, under the description of 'goods' it includes 'gifts for someone else'.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Mar 4th 2013 at 2:15 am.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:45 am
2+2=5

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
In fact, where on the front of the form it says 'goods/articles', in the explanatory notes on the back it says 'articles/articles'.

And, come to think of it, under the description of 'goods' it includes 'gifts for someone else'.
So do I need to declare it then?...

If I just put it amoung my cufflinks in their box in my suitcase it probably will be ok right?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

If I just put it amoung my cufflinks in their box in my suitcase it probably will be ok right?
That is my understanding of the form, but perhaps Ian will be back or someone else will come along with another interpretation.

Re: cufflinks box, I don't think that is the best hiding place as it is still a jewellery box and could thus attract attention. Maybe try to find somewhere more inconspicuous. That said, it is presumably valuable, so I wouldn't risk putting it in the suitcase at all unless you are carrying the suitcase on.

EDIT: Of course if you don't declare anything I doubt the chances of you even getting sent to inspection are very high. I have seen it happen to a few people, but CBP seem to let most pass through with a cursory glance at the form.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Mar 4th 2013 at 2:54 am.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean you're trying to hide it, then no, I wouldn't do that. Probably not a good idea to try to hide something you might be required to declare.

Now that you mention cufflinks...are you bringing a whole suit with you? The POE agent might start asking a lot of questions if you're showing up at the border with a ring, a suit, cufflinks, and other wedding-related stuff. It's not illegal to get married in the USA, but it IS illegal to arrive at the POE with the intent to marry and remain in the USA to adjust status to permanent resident.

If you look too "wedding"-ish, it could lead the POE agent to think you'll be getting married AND staying in the USA. Be prepared to prove you will not be staying.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, and just FYI, I have on a couple of occasions been asked customs-type questions (like 'Are you carrying any gifts?') at immigration. So if you do decide to lie/conceal the truth, be aware that you might have to do so twice.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:12 am
2+2=5

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you mean you're trying to hide it, then no, I wouldn't do that. Probably not a good idea to try to hide something you might be required to declare.

Now that you mention cufflinks...are you bringing a whole suit with you? The POE agent might start asking a lot of questions if you're showing up at the border with a ring, a suit, cufflinks, and other wedding-related stuff. It's not illegal to get married in the USA, but it IS illegal to arrive at the POE with the intent to marry and remain in the USA to adjust status to permanent resident.

If you look too "wedding"-ish, it could lead the POE agent to think you'll be getting married AND staying in the USA. Be prepared to prove you will not be staying.

Rene
I will have a suit but this will be in my case. I'm not sure I will even need any cufflinks. I'm not trying to hide it, I just want to do the right thing. I don't mind declaring it, but if I don't have to then I would rather not.

I certainly do not intend to stay and adjust my status as Ian said, if I am asked about the wedding I will say that I am returning to the UK while my wife to be is filing the petition. Aside from a return flight, what other proof do I need?

When the officer asks what the nature of my visit is, is it best to go straight out and say "to get married", or is it best just to say I am visiting my fiance?

Thanks Rene
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that attempting to ship the bottle of alcohol ahead of time may turn out to be more trouble than it is worth depending, among other things, on which state you are trying to send it to. Just pack it (carefully) in your checked baggage and declare it to customs when you enter the US.

As far as declaring the wedding ring is concerned, the actual wording on the customs form is:

Visitors - the total value of all articles that will remain in the US including commercial merchandise.
It says "all articles that will remain in the US", not "all articles except for gifts and wedding rings" - that seems to be pretty clear to me ...
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:21 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You do, yes. You probably won't have to pay duty on it, but you do have to declare it.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

When the officer asks what the nature of my visit is, is it best to go straight out and say "to get married", or is it best just to say I am visiting my fiance?
Since the primary purpose of your trip is to get married, that is what you should say if and when you are asked the purpose of your visit. You should, however choose your words carefully - try to use the word "visit" in your reply - "I am visiting my fiance to get married" sounds better than just "to get married".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.