Questions about CR1

Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:46 pm
AJF
Just Joined

AJF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about CR1

Ok, Im new to this forum, so firstly, hi.

My wife is american and im british, we live in Northern Ireland, but we hope to move to the US, CA, sometime later this year.
We were married in July 2004, and went through the visa process subsequently to bring my wife back here. At the time, we thought that the British immigration system was difficult, however, we found out the US system was even more complicated!!

Anyway, we hope to file our I-130 this week, to london, and i have a couple of general questions.

Has anyone had any experience of doing the same type of wedding, ie, me on a Visa waiver, which i realise is a bit "grey"?
Will this count against us during the process?
How long does this type of application take, and is there anything we should do in the mean time, like order the police report?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, as i feel totally out of my depth, and confused by the myriad of websites out there!

Regards,
Andrew
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about CR1

Not sure exactly what you are asking. But why would having married in the US while you were here on the visa waiver program be held against you? You didn't remain in the US to file for adjustment of status but returned to your own country. There is no law that prohibits marriage to a USC by a foreigner who enters the US using any legitimate entry method.

Note that if you are going to be migrating to CA (Canada) then you have to contact the CIC for information or at the very least use the Canadian immigration forum. Are you planning on going to whatever country gives you a resident visa first? And what is your basis for migrating to Canada?

Also note that the US Consulate has not been accepting direct consular filing from US citizen with recently obtained leave to remain. Although their website says it is permissible, several people have been denied.

REte

Originally Posted by AJF
Ok, Im new to this forum, so firstly, hi.

My wife is american and im british, we live in Northern Ireland, but we hope to move to the US, CA, sometime later this year.
We were married in July 2004, and went through the visa process subsequently to bring my wife back here. At the time, we thought that the British immigration system was difficult, however, we found out the US system was even more complicated!!

Anyway, we hope to file our I-130 this week, to london, and i have a couple of general questions.

Has anyone had any experience of doing the same type of wedding, ie, me on a Visa waiver, which i realise is a bit "grey"?
Will this count against us during the process?
How long does this type of application take, and is there anything we should do in the mean time, like order the police report?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, as i feel totally out of my depth, and confused by the myriad of websites out there!

Regards,
Andrew
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:19 pm
AJF
Just Joined

Sorry Rete, Ca = California.

I was just wondering if it would detain us in anyway. Now that i have read your post i understand that it won't, so thats one point clarified. Thanks.

So, if both of us are here (as in UK), should we apply to the office in the US instead? Or should we just go ahead under the advice of the website, and see what happens?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJF
Sorry Rete, Ca = California.

I was just wondering if it would detain us in anyway. Now that i have read your post i understand that it won't, so thats one point clarified. Thanks.

So, if both of us are here (as in UK), should we apply to the office in the US instead? Or should we just go ahead under the advice of the website, and see what happens?

Personally I would go with the US Consulate's website advice and file there. If it is rejected then you can file in the US. But it is definitely worth a shot as the timeline for DCF (direct consular filing) from the UK is only 3 to 4 months while awaiting the I-130 and K-3 (if you go that route) should be a minimum of 6 months but more like a year.

Rete
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:40 pm
AJF
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Personally I would go with the US Consulate's website advice and file there. If it is rejected then you can file in the US. But it is definitely worth a shot as the timeline for DCF (direct consular filing) from the UK is only 3 to 4 months while awaiting the I-130 and K-3 (if you go that route) should be a minimum of 6 months but more like a year.

Rete
Thanks, thats been very helpful.