Question on Working

Old Sep 12th 2002, 9:24 am
Dt

Default Question on Working

What do i need to have/ do to be able to work as soon as i land in California. If i
get married the frist week i am there , does that automatically give me authorisation
to work. Does it benefit me to go to a "helpful" Port of Entry - eg. Atlanta , ( i
am going to Live in LA)

any help gratefully recieved, thanks Dave

Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on Working

To work, you will need and EAD (Employmeny Authorisation Document). Some ports of entry give out (or have given out in the past) temporary EADs which last for 90 days, by which time you have to be married. I have heard that Detroit (where I came in) gives them out, but I did not ask for one. I'm not sure about Atlanta.

Rick

What do i need to have/ do to be able to work as soon as i land in California. If i
get married the frist week i am there , does that automatically give me authorisation
to work. Does it benefit me to go to a "helpful" Port of Entry - eg. Atlanta , ( i
am going to Live in LA)

any help gratefully recieved, thanks Dave
Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

I entered at Atlanta in May and was told that they no longer give out EADs there
Old Sep 12th 2002, 7:30 pm
Dt

Default Re: More Questions on Working

Thanks for the advice from both of you. I guess i will go direct to California. Say i
get married in the first week - and then fill out an I 765 - realistically how long
before i can work ? DT

"RickQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To work, you will need and EAD (Employmeny Authorisation Document). Some ports of
    > entry give out (or have given out in the past) temporary EADs which last for 90
    > days, by which time you have to be married. I have heard that Detroit (where I came
    > in) gives them out, but I did not ask for one. I'm not sure about Atlanta.
    > Rick
    > >
    > > What do i need to have/ do to be able to work as soon as i land in California. If
    > > i get married the frist week i am there , does that automatically give me
    > > authorisation to work. Does it benefit me to go to a "helpful" Port of Entry -
    > > eg. Atlanta , ( i am going to Live in LA)
    > >
    > > any help gratefully recieved, thanks Dave
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 13th 2002, 12:37 pm
Marjeta

Ptarmigan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I entered at Atlanta in May and was told that they no longer give out EADs there

I thought that they stopped issuing temporary EADs at ports of entry because K1 visa
is itself a valid document that allows you to work temporarily for 90 days from
admission to the US (or so I heard). During those 90 days you have to get married
anyway and apply for the 1 year EAD card.

Old Sep 14th 2002, 4:02 pm
Jan

I entered through Detroit in May, my stamped I-94 serves as a temp (90 day) EAD. I
was able to get a SSN with no trouble. Also its worth saying again, that walk in AOS
for K-1's in Detroit get automatic EAD if/when the Adjustment is approved, you dont
even have to fill in the form for it !

Jan )

> To work, you will need and EAD (Employmeny Authorisation Document). Some ports of
    > entry give out (or have given out in the past) temporary EADs which last for 90
    > days, by which time you have to be married. I have heard that Detroit (where I came
    > Rick
    > >
    > > What do i need to have/ do to be able to work as soon as i land in California. If
    > > authorisation to work. Does it benefit me to go to a "helpful" Port of Entry -
    > >
    > --

Old Sep 18th 2002, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Susie is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if they give out temp EAD's for K-3's or just K-1's? And if I'm flying into the U.S. do they give them out at U.S.Customs here in Canada? or once I get to the airport in the U.S.? what counts as the POE?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jan:
I entered through Detroit in May, my stamped I-94 serves as a temp (90 day) EAD. I
was able to get a SSN with no trouble. Also its worth saying again, that walk in AOS
for K-1's in Detroit get automatic EAD if/when the Adjustment is approved, you dont
even have to fill in the form for it !

Jan )

> Rick
    > >
    > >
    > --
Old Sep 18th 2002, 1:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Susie:
Does anyone know if they give out temp EAD's for K-3's or just K-1's? And if I'm flying into the U.S. do they give them out at U.S.Customs here in Canada? or once I get to the airport in the U.S.? what counts as the POE?

Thanks!

A POE is where you are examined by US agents for customs and immigration. In Canada, most times you are examined by the US on Canadian soil.

And if they don't give the stamp for K-1's, they won't give them for the K-3's.

Rete