Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding I864

Question Regarding I864

Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

colleywobbles28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question Regarding I864

My husband has petitioned for his parents to move to the US from the UK. We are a few months into the process, everything has been approved and now we are preparing the financial documents for their interview. I know he needs to fill out the I864 and in the "immigrant" field he put his fathers name with his mother as the spouse. Do we simply make a COPY of this I864 and have them both notarized or does he fill out 2 forms, one with his father as the immigrant mother as the spouse and one with mother as the immigrant and father as the spouse?

Hope that isn't too confusing!

TIA
Amanda and Matt ( US & UK - K1 Visa 2001)
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

NCTarheel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question Regarding I864

Originally Posted by colleywobbles28
My husband has petitioned for his parents to move to the US from the UK. We are a few months into the process, everything has been approved and now we are preparing the financial documents for their interview. I know he needs to fill out the I864 and in the "immigrant" field he put his fathers name with his mother as the spouse. Do we simply make a COPY of this I864 and have them both notarized or does he fill out 2 forms, one with his father as the immigrant mother as the spouse and one with mother as the immigrant and father as the spouse?

TIA
On page 1 of the form, under "General Filling Instructions", it states that "You may submit photocopies of this affidavit for any spouse or children immigrating with an immigrant you are sponsoring".
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NCTarheel
On page 1 of the form, under "General Filling Instructions", it states that "You may submit photocopies of this affidavit for any spouse or children immigrating with an immigrant you are sponsoring".

Thank you for your quick response, it all seems simple enough. = ) I actually read the instructions too, guess I am a little rusty at this stuff since I haven't dealt with directly for 5 years. Does the copy need to be notarized?

Thanks again
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

NCTarheel is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your quick response, it all seems simple enough. = ) I actually read the instructions too, guess I am a little rusty at this stuff since I haven't dealt with directly for 5 years. Does the copy need to be notarized?

Thanks again
The instructions are not very clear on whether both the original and the copy need to be notarized. It wouldn't hurt to notarize both, just to be safe.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering, what are you going to do about Health Insurance?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wondering, what are you going to do about Health Insurance?

What are HIS parents going to do about Health Insurance? They will be purchasing a private plan when they arrive.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:55 am
Account Closed

What are HIS parents going to do about Health Insurance? They will be purchasing a private plan when they arrive.
OK - do HIS parents appreciate the issues. If they are really loaded it may not matter much.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

OK - do HIS parents appreciate the issues. If they are really loaded it may not matter much.

What issues did you mean? They are moving here to retire and have quite a bit of money, so I don't think paying the premiums every month will be an issue.

I'm sure it will be quite an adjustment though, to go from free health coverage to having to pay several hundred dollars every month.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What issues did you mean? They are moving here to retire and have quite a bit of money, so I don't think paying the premiums every month will be an issue.

I'm sure it will be quite an adjustment though, to go from free health coverage to having to pay several hundred dollars every month.
Wow, several hundred dollars per month? Do you know where I can hook up with cheap rates like that?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wow, several hundred dollars per month? Do you know where I can hook up with cheap rates like that?

Silly!! You know what I mean... I think the policy they looked into is 509.00 a month .....
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
Hi,

Is your husband a US citizen now?
i hope my Mum can come over eventually.
Has the process been long?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Hi,

Is your husband a US citizen now?
i hope my Mum can come over eventually.
Has the process been long?

Yes my husband is now a US Citizen ( since Sept 05) and we started the immigration process for his parents Nov 05. They are not awaiting their
interview in London and then it's moving time.

The process for bringing over a parent seems quite straight forward and is one of the easier routes. My husband also had thought about sponsoring his sister but the wait is something crazy, like 12 years!!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:06 am
Account Closed

Silly!! You know what I mean... I think the policy they looked into is 509.00 a month .....
Sounds cheap, presumably they are relatively young.

There was a bit on Fox News last night, somebody had done a study and reckoned OAP's had to allow $200,000 on average for co-pays/deductibles/exclusions. That is for USC's with access to Medicare etc.

For others then the costs would be much much higher.

I just wondered how people do it, no way it would work for my parents.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Sounds cheap, presumably they are relatively young.

There was a bit on Fox News last night, somebody had done a study and reckoned OAP's had to allow $200,000 on average for co-pays/deductibles/exclusions. That is for USC's with access to Medicare etc.

For others then the costs would be much much higher.

I just wondered how people do it, no way it would work for my parents.

They are both in their mid 50's
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:48 am
Account Closed

I guess as long as they know what they are getting into. They could get 10 more years work in - 40 quarters.

Or stay healthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.