Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question regarding foriegn spouses parents attending wedding

question regarding foriegn spouses parents attending wedding

Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default question regarding foriegn spouses parents attending wedding

my husband and i married while i was on a visa waiver in the states.. When my mum found out we were engaged she was distraught she wouldnt be able to come to the wedding, and booked a flight for her, my stepdad and sister to come over in a space of about two weeks
my question is what kind of proof i would have to provide to the INS that them coming here for the wedding was quite literally planned and executed in about two weeks! i know that they often find it suspicious.

my mums boss has offered to write something saying that my mum asked for emergency leave to come over for it.

If anyone can assist me i would be grateful!
thanks

ps i forgot to add that i do have emails from a friend of the family saying how upset my mum was that she wouldnt be able to come, and emails from my dad saying he would like to come, but couldnt, i dont know if that helps...
Old Jun 6th 2004, 3:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question regarding foriegn spouses parents attending wedding

Originally posted by eggysbrain
my husband and i married while i was on a visa waiver in the states.. When my mum found out we were engaged she was distraught she wouldnt be able to come to the wedding, and booked a flight for her, my stepdad and sister to come over in a space of about two weeks
my question is what kind of proof i would have to provide to the INS that them coming here for the wedding was quite literally planned and executed in about two weeks! i know that they often find it suspicious.
my mums boss has offered to write something saying that my mum asked for emergency leave to come over for it.
If anyone can assist me i would be grateful!
thanks
ps i forgot to add that i do have emails from a friend of the family saying how upset my mum was that she wouldnt be able to come, and emails from my dad saying he would like to come, but couldnt, i dont know if that helps...
Easiest proof would be payment proof of your mums tickets just 2 weeks before she arrived...letter like you suggest mean nothing you could type it youself
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Easiest proof would be payment proof of your mums tickets just 2 weeks before she arrived...letter like you suggest mean nothing you could type it youself

Have that proof on hand for your AOS interview but it is not necessary to volunteer the information until asked for.

Other proof would be your letter of resignation from a job showing your resignation after your entered the US. The same with any lease you terminated. The shipment of your belongings after your arrival here and marriage. Closing of your bank accounts, etc.

Think of all the things you have to "finish" in your own country after your marriage and use that as proof of your entrance into the US without intent.

Rete
Old Jun 7th 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Rete
Have that proof on hand for your AOS interview but it is not necessary to volunteer the information until asked for.

Other proof would be your letter of resignation from a job showing your resignation after your entered the US. The same with any lease you terminated. The shipment of your belongings after your arrival here and marriage. Closing of your bank accounts, etc.

Think of all the things you have to "finish" in your own country after your marriage and use that as proof of your entrance into the US without intent.

Rete

i still have my bank account in the uk, due to the fact that i have a loan and overdraft, my husband has been sending money every month via western union to cover my bills in the uk since i got here, i have all the paperwork for the last 9 months to show that, is this good proof of non intent also?
i wasnt employed previously to coming to the us for at least three months due to some health problems (which are now treated, i discussed it with the doc at my medical) and harassment related to it from my employer, however, i did apply for new jobs before coming here, but i dont have any proof cause i never heard back from them :|

Last edited by eggysbrain; Jun 7th 2004 at 2:55 am.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 2:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by eggysbrain
i still have my bank account in the uk, due to the fact that i have a loan and overdraft, my husband has been sending money every month via western union to cover my bills in the uk since i got here, i have all the paperwork for the last 9 months to show that, is this good proof of non intent also?
Yes ..all good stuff ..But as Rete said ...you do not offer such things unless asked..
Old Jun 7th 2004, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ray6
Yes ..all good stuff ..But as Rete said ...you do not offer such things unless asked..

thanks rete and ray