Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question re Former green card holder visa application

Question re Former green card holder visa application

Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Conway1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question re Former green card holder visa application

My husband is a uk citizen and I am a us citizen. We've been living in the U.K. For 17+ years. Before that my husband and I lived and worked in the us for 19 years. He was approved a visa and held a green card with a social security number and alien number.

It is now coming to the time we want to return to the us. He never became a citizen so he will therefore need another visa.

I am wondering if someone could help me answer this question...

What is the process for a former green card holder returning to the us. Would I still be required to file the I-130 petition and then go from there following the steps or is there an alternative?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re Former green card holder visa application

You will need to file as if it is a new application, and go through the whole process again.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
You will need to file as if it is a new application, and go through the whole process again.
Just as I thought. Thank you so much for clarifying
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Did your husband formally relinquish his green card? If not, then he needs to do so via form I-407. As seen recently by another in this forum, she was not issued her new IR-1 visa until she had returned her old green card to USCIS via form I-407.

My next question is for you. As a USC, have you been filing your US income tax returns annually? If not, and you have had income in the amount designated as reportable and over a certain amount, you need to file your returns. Double check, but I believe you need to file at least the last three years.

Also have you considered who is qualified to sponsor your husband if you do not have the amount of assets required to do so. The assets need to be 3x the poverty guidelines number for a household your size.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 13th 2017 at 4:40 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road

OK thanks you for answering these questions. That is very helpful.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

BTW your husband's SSN is still there. SSNs are granted for life, and in fact he couldn't change it or get a new one even if he wanted to.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
My next question is for you. As a USC, have you been filing your US income tax returns annually? If not, and you have had income in the amount designated as reportable and over a certain amount, you need to file your returns. Double check, but I believe you need to file at least the last three years.
I have not which means I will need to file late returns. It would be easier for me to file as a single tax payer but we don't owe any taxes even if filed married filing jointly, so is there any problem filing single now and then filing married filing jointly when back in the states?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conway1
I have not which means I will need to file late returns. It would be easier for me to file as a single tax payer but we don't owe any taxes even if filed married filing jointly, so is there any problem filing single now and then filing married filing jointly when back in the states?

You can't file "single". You probably mean you will file "married, separate". No that is not a problem changing categories in the future.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

You may also need to file an FBAR and Form 8938.
The FBAR is not part of your tax. It is filed on-line separately.

More info here:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/compa...r-requirements
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Regarding my husband relinquishing his green card and filing the I-407 form would he have to wait any length of time before he can reapply for a new green card? Or can he relinquish his green card and then reapply straight away?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no waiting time. He can do one right after the other.

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding my husband relinquishing his green card and filing the I-407 form would he have to wait any length of time before he can reapply for a new green card? Or can he relinquish his green card and then reapply straight away?
Given the length of time that the CR-1 will take anyway, there is nothing to stop him starting the visa application process then sending the I-407 several weeks, or even months later, but there is absolutely no good reason to delay.

We know this because one of out members hit a stumbling block three months ago (July 2017) around the time of her interview and ended up having to file her I-407 after her interview before they would issue her a new CR-1.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the length of time that the CR-1 will take anyway, there is nothing to stop him starting the visa application process then sending the I-407 several weeks, or even months later, but there is absolutely no good reason to delay.

We know this because one of out members hit a stumbling block three months ago (July 2017) around the time of her interview and ended up having to file her I-407 after her interview before they would issue her a new CR-1.

Yes that was me 😊 it was super easy to relinquish my old expired visa and I am now in America with a new green card.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

I have filled in the I-407 and I have sent it to relinquishe my green card. However on the application 1-130 and I-130a it asks for my alien registration number but If I relinquish it then do I still use that old green card number? Or do I just act as if I don't have one?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

My husband has returned his green card along with the I-407 and I have also filled in the I-130 and I-130a and on those forms they ask for my alien number. So do I use my green card number that I have surrendered or do I act as though it no longer exists?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.