Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question: CR-1 timeline with criminal record

Question: CR-1 timeline with criminal record

Old May 30th 2016, 5:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question: CR-1 timeline with criminal record

JB,

Please don't print in blue. Use the quote feature to separate your responses.

Thank you,
Old May 30th 2016, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

theJBs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
This really should be your first consideration -- a good lawyer would know how to get independent counsel to represent the children and have their opinion taken into consideration, even if they are not of age.
Thanks, we are going to along with trying to guilt trip the ex husband as to how useless he actually is and how he is keeping us apart.

Under NC state law when parents separate both the mother and father are fully within their right to a custody agreement that is 7 days on 7 days off. He agreed to seeing them for the firs three weekends of the month because he agreed in the mediation that my wife was best to prepare them for school (he knows cheetos and grilled cheese is not appropriate he is just too sorry to do anything about it) The fact he has already signed the agreement to deviate away from this, we believe is a strong point for us to argue that England would be a better option.

Mr. JB

Last edited by theJBs; May 30th 2016 at 6:31 pm.
Old May 30th 2016, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
JB,

Please don't print in blue. Use the quote feature to separate your responses.

Thank you,

No problem, I've just edited the posts to remove the blue

Mr. JB
Old May 30th 2016, 5:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theJBs
Thanks, we are going to along with trying to guilt trip the ex husband as to how useless he actually is and how he is keeping us apart.
You should keep away from the personal and stick with the law. This is just going to make him dig his heels in more.
Old May 30th 2016, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

A healthy diet doesn't need to include meat, just needed to point that out. My nephew is 25, has been vegetarian since birth, and is perfectly healthy.
Old May 30th 2016, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, this will fail. This whole situation has nothing whatsoever to do with you... and it likely has nothing whatsoever to do with the children either. This is all about punishing his ex-wife... and both you and the children are your wife's triggers. So... here's a question: what are his triggers?

Ian
Old May 30th 2016, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
A healthy diet doesn't need to include meat, just needed to point that out. My nephew is 25, has been vegetarian since birth, and is perfectly healthy.
Haha love it!!! I have a sister who is a vegetarian and she too is perfectly healthy!

Mr. JB
Old May 30th 2016, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is all about punishing his ex-wife... and both you and the children are your wife's triggers. So... here's a question: what are his triggers?

Ian
You are 100% right....Money is his driving force (hence our VERY generous cash offer). Though let me get back to you with that haha because Mrs. JB has his number on that question

Mr. JB
Old May 30th 2016, 9:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem, I've just edited the posts to remove the blue

Mr. JB
Thanks. I went back in and fixed the quotes and the bold font as well. Please use the quote feature for replying to individual comments, rather than color or bold font. Makes it easier to read and is consistent with all other text.

Thank you,
Rene
Old May 30th 2016, 9:54 pm

Does the ex really care that he is keeping you apart, though? Seems doubtful.

Rene
Old May 30th 2016, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Does the ex really care that he is keeping you apart, though?
I agree; I doubt the ex actually cares about their relationship. However, the ex-wife wants to be with her new husband - and so long as he can screw over her plans, he'll do it... even by using the children as ammunition. Indeed, especially by using the children as ammunition - because he can manipulate her to his heart's desire so long as the children are involved.

Ian
Old May 31st 2016, 12:00 am

Then he's not going to buy into the guilt trip scenario.

Rene
Old May 31st 2016, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

You are 100% right....Money is his driving force (hence our VERY generous cash offer).
That may be his driving force, but that's not quite what I meant. He punishes your wife by threatening to withhold from her something she desires - in this case, the children's ability to leave the US. From his point of view, that has the ancillary benefit of limiting your immigration options which, in turn, again hurts your wife.

So, knowing that money is his driving force, how can you turn that to your advantage? Offering to give him money certainly didn't do the trick... because that doesn't hurt him at all. What will hurt him?

For example... if he pays child support and is ever late with the payment, that's grounds in NC for having his wages garnished, having tax refunds intercepted, and putting a claim on real property - until he pays up. Further, that's all public information that he probably wouldn't like see made public. Okay, I'm getting off topic a bit... but I think you can get an idea where I'm going with this. Try thinking outside the box.

Ian
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from assuming things and being quite wrong, or just having a different opinion (which is cool, we get it...different parents and grandparents have different standards) this last point you make about the judge taking into account an 8 year old's opinion was something we had not considered.

The reason we had not considered it (not as you say ''and please don't tell me...''....because we didn't or I didn't tell you anything, again you are assuming) was due to the solicitor who mediated the divorce telling my wife that at 12 they would be able to decide or have a say in whos house they stayed at.

With the greatest of respect your answer is more an opinion about yours and our difference in what we want for a child and absolutely nothing to do with the granting or issue with a CR1 or E2 visa, the only point thats remotely helpful is that your child was able to stand in court and 'had a voice' - and for that thank you!

Mr. JB
Yes, it is an opinion which I can back up with experience. I have feed my girls peanut butter and jelly for dinner, lunch and sometimes for breakfast when they were growing up. Also I have feed them mountains of mac and cheese (homemade) and hot dogs and burgers and sometimes even Hamburger Helper. They are now 44 and 47 years old and healthy. I was a single mother who refused to go on welfare and didn't get child support and for several years I couldn't afford much else. Many times we had to stretch a chicken from Sunday to Thursday or a smoked ham. Most often vegetables were canned because I couldn't afford fresh. But they were healthy kids as attested to by their doctor.

So you are the step parent of the year. Bully for you! I know that much of the problem is that you are distraught, anxious and very very angry. I still say you are nitpicking the food issue. He only has them two days a week and they are getting "well balanced" meals the other 5. Pick a better argument to give the courts why he should not have visitation and/or custody of the children. Those issues won't cut it in a court of law unless you can show that their health has been comprised. Now if he sent them out to play in 30 degree weather without hats and gloves and only a sweater you have a case. Or he takes them in the car without car seats and doesn't use seat belts. Or if he drinks excessively while they are with him and he is the only adult present. These are things that will make a court view him as an unfit custodian.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Rete - You are so far off the mark. From no where you have come onto this thread and are commenting and defending feeding children hot dogs....assuming things I have not said and even with the information in front of you, you're getting it not quite wrong but very wrong.

I have not said we would complain to the courts about what food he feeds them (I merely gave a few examples of how much of a looser he is), I have not said the ex husband should not have visitation or custody of the children (actually quite the opposite - look back in the posts and you can see I said we told the ex husband we would pay seven thousand pounds a year to send the girls back on the English school term holidays) and I am astounded that you in a previous post mention about you're 8 year old having a voice in court - only now to post that this is from either 36 or 39 years ago.

Exactly how is any of this helpful?

Criticise our decisions, scrutinise our approach and provide an alternative or shoot down our seemingly dumb questions - please do that and help us develop and move forward and in doing so help any others who come across these threads but at least be on point and relevant to what we/I have said?

Mr. JB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.